Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be a bit disgusted at TV chef hygiene?

(24 Posts)
shergar Wed 21-Nov-12 23:45:19

I was watching Jamie's 15-minute meals yesterday, and after he flattened down some lamb steaks with his bare hands, he didn't pause to wash them before rifling through drawers for spices, and handling bottles. Nigella is just as bad; you never see her wash her hand after dribbling raw eggs around, and uncooked meat. Is it me? Admittedly I may be a bit finickity as I work in a hospital environment, but even so....

BOFingSanta Wed 21-Nov-12 23:46:29

YANBU. They are minging.

InNeedOfBrandy Wed 21-Nov-12 23:48:44

Sometimes JO rinses them under the tap (not soap) after touching chicken and wipes on tea towel. Then he tears whatever leaf he's using to sprinkle over once it's cooked. I always think someones getting food poisoning soon.

waitingimpatiently Wed 21-Nov-12 23:48:45

Some of them do wash their hands. I have definitely seen it on ready steady cook and Saturday kitchen

HeftyHeifer Wed 21-Nov-12 23:48:57

YANBU. I have to tell myself that hand washing etc has been edited out, but deep down I know it hasn't. Jamie used to pull herbs, lettuce etc up out of his garden and never wash it. There must be bugs and bird poo and alsorts on it.
Yuck.

Viperidae Wed 21-Nov-12 23:49:39

I was going to tell you to get a life but you have just reminded me how much I hate seeing Jamie Oliver dip his grubby fingers in stuff them lick them to taste for seasoning, etc. I hate it!

shergar Wed 21-Nov-12 23:50:48

Oh THANK HEAVENS it's not just me! Was worried for my sanity.

tigerdriverII Wed 21-Nov-12 23:53:29

It must be the editing <<hopeful>>

Dancergirl Wed 21-Nov-12 23:57:57

Course it's the editing! Do you really think watching someone wash their hands, clear away, wash veg, wipe up spills etc would make good telly?!

HeftyHeifer Thu 22-Nov-12 00:00:01

Jamie's herbs never have any water droplets on them hmm
So I can only deduce he doesn't rinse them. Or he has the best salad spinner on the planet. grin

Queenofthehill Thu 22-Nov-12 00:02:15

Jamie Oliver is spitty when he says his 's'es. Hygiene fail.

shergar Thu 22-Nov-12 00:23:35

LOL Queenofthehill! smile

thebody Thu 22-Nov-12 00:49:42

Totally agree, my kids were ewwwww at this as one works as a pot washer in a restaurant and said Jamie was rank!

They should mention washing hands.

dearth Thu 22-Nov-12 23:49:08

It makes me crazy.

They are cooking educators.

They should model safe food handling and wash their fucking hands.

Surely there is drivel they could be spouting while doing so.

CatsRule Fri 23-Nov-12 08:11:55

Yanbu!

I also hate raw chicken and meat on wooden chopping boards...which they wipe once with a dirty tea towel and flip over...clean hmm I think not!!

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Fri 23-Nov-12 09:15:49

I flip my plastic chopping boards blush

SpinningBirdKick Fri 23-Nov-12 09:20:49

YANBU!
Have you watched half the programmes on Food Network? They NEVER observe any hygiene (Cupcake Wars is a particular bugbear- you see women running their fingers through long hair then handling decoration for the cakes, which you see the judges eating!)....

Bleurgh!

I'd have been bollocked in Home Ec by Mrs Verrill for that as a 12 year old!

gallifrey Sat 24-Nov-12 13:21:56

It always annoys me when they dip a spoon in, taste whatever it is and then put the same spoon back in it again!

fatlazymummy Sat 24-Nov-12 13:53:27

I have often noticed that they never wash things like spring onions. The thing that really gets me though is mushrooms - apparently you aren't supposed to either wash them or peel them. Not in my world.
I agree with all the other points as well. I realise that handwashing etc may be edited out, but what about those programmes that are shown in real time, and then the food is then given to the guests/ audience to taste.

Fakebook Sat 24-Nov-12 13:56:21

Gallifrey, I hate that too! I also hate it when they dip their finger in a sauce and suck it. Yuck. Why can't they get a clean spoon and taste?

marjproops Sat 24-Nov-12 17:05:27

oh great thought it was just me too!!

And Nigella who never ties her hair back and its all over the food, plus the nail colour that can chip into the food etc etc.

yeah, the cake programmes on America, seen that too with the womaen running their fingers through their hair then touching the cakes.

noblegiraffe Sat 24-Nov-12 17:08:32

I don't like it when they wear their wedding rings and make bread or something. Grim to think of the germs that are festering underneath it.

katykuns Sat 24-Nov-12 17:12:36

It always annoys me when they dip a spoon in, taste whatever it is and then put the same spoon back in it again!

I do that

Also.. people peel mushrooms?

I am a skank

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Sat 24-Nov-12 17:37:05

I don't peel mushrooms. I do wash them though.

I am definitely looking like a skank on this thread blush I can assure you all that I nearly scald my hands washing them between handling raw meat (even in packaging) and anything else, raw meat has a separate freezer bag and my fridge is ordered as per my Food Hygiene Certificate training grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now