Talk

Advanced search

To think 'liking' this photo really is the bloody limit? *distressing*

(38 Posts)
slatternlymother Wed 21-Nov-12 14:25:12

Today, I logged onto FB and a long term friend has 'liked' a photo under the caption of 'like if you are against aborting our baby girls'. The photo is a very clear and graphic photo of a foetus lying on a pink blanket, clearly dead.

I am horrified that this is being allowed to circulate. Can you imagine the distress to a recently bereaved mother? Or a woman who had had to go through an abortion?

Just the other day another friend 'liked' a photo entitled 'like if you wish child abuse didnt exist' coupled with a photo of a horrifically beaten child.

How is this acceptable? AIBU?

FryOneFatManic Wed 21-Nov-12 14:27:27

YANBU. IMO people doing this tend to have very black and white polarised views about things, using photos like this to bounce others into a knee jerk reaction.

OscarPistoriusBitontheside Wed 21-Nov-12 14:27:31

The abortion photo is fucking disgusting! I was furious when it popped up on my feed. People just do not think when they click "like" on shit like this. They dot understand that something like this might be distressing for others who see it, regardless on their views on female infanticide/abortion. What if the person has had a late miscarriage? sadangry

InNeedOfBrandy Wed 21-Nov-12 14:29:57

It is fucking vile. FB allow this but not a baby being breastfed.

RabbitsMakeGOLDBaubles Wed 21-Nov-12 14:31:11

Report it and hide.

slatternlymother Wed 21-Nov-12 14:31:43

oscar it was horrific wasn't it?! I felt so shocked too; I know the lady who liked the photo is a devout Christian, but if that forms part of her belief structure then she shouldn't preach it to others like this!

I keep hoping that people who like these photos don't realise it's popping up on other people's news feeds.

I'm so angry about this one.

Alisvolatpropiis Wed 21-Nov-12 14:33:08

YANBU - there is a lot of stuff like that on Facebook. A baby with a brain tumour,a women crying at a graveside and so on. Makes me wonder who got hold of these photos because I am 99.9% sure the people who took them didn't intend them to be bandied around for people to "like if you hate cancer" and so on. It's vile.

I would much rather see a mother breast feeding her baby. That's a happy and positive photo and one I imagine the owner of the photo would put on Facebook themselves.

BunnyLebowski Wed 21-Nov-12 14:33:50

Instant deletion from me. And a rant.

Thankfully it hasn't shown up on my feed yet.

Although yesterday there were a few hateful comments about this poor woman

People. Grrr.

OscarPistoriusBitontheside Wed 21-Nov-12 14:35:06

My friend is also a devout Christian and most of the stuff I see is just evangelical Christian stuff, each to their own, I have they evangelical posts from Muslim friends and that's ok too, I really am normally not bothered in the slightest, but this is beyond disgusting.

PickledFanjoCat Wed 21-Nov-12 14:36:40

Apart from anything else it's bloody ridiculous. Liking pages is bloody pointless.

I agree there are awful things appearing on Facebook for me constantly.

Gettheetoanunnery Wed 21-Nov-12 14:37:03

Yanbu. Like liking the picture would make a difference anyway! It's ridic

slatternlymother Wed 21-Nov-12 14:39:32

oscar yes, I would consider myself a moderate Christian, but don't put any of my beliefs on there. I don't mind others doing so, but it is unbearable when people pedal something like that.

bunny sad that poor woman; how she must've felt to be driven to that.

Alis I've often thought that; someone's private photo is being used for the gain of someone else.

slatternlymother Wed 21-Nov-12 14:41:11

Yes pickled! If you hate it (and clearly, no one 'likes' people battering kids; how low are your expectations fgs?!), why not donate your time or money to a charity like the NSPCC?

RabbitsMakeGOLDBaubles Wed 21-Nov-12 14:42:03

The abortion message is horrific.

I am not sure if it would be right to describe the picture as horrific as it may well be someone's actual baby loss, sometimes these pictures are used without permission, and as it could well be a very personal picture of a very upsetting loss, describing it as horrific may be insensitive, as such.

Quodlibet Wed 21-Nov-12 14:44:46

Perhaps you could inform your friend that these sensationalist pages are set up to be sold, because a page with lots of 'likes' (regardless of what it is) has economic value in the world of social media. Her and other dim people like her who think there is a correlation between clicking a link on FB and creating change in the world are playing in the hands of people who are essentially exploiting our emotional reaction to distressing images.

slatternlymother Wed 21-Nov-12 14:45:47

You're right rabbits I certainly didn't mean it to come across as such.

I also think 'what if this baby was the product of a miscarriage, not an abortion?' That's someone's personal photo being exploited in the most awful way.

Even if it is an abortion; women have abortions for so many reasons, often complex.

The world is just so fucking black and white for some people, isn't it?

slatternlymother Wed 21-Nov-12 14:46:39

Really quod? They have value? How does that work, could you explain more please?

TheDuchessOfEarl Wed 21-Nov-12 14:52:24

Quodlibet You beat me to it
Slattern The owners of these pages are able to sell them onto businesses with thousands of Likes already on them. So the buyer already has a captive audience (does that make sense?)

RichardSimmonsTankTop Wed 21-Nov-12 14:53:23

It's true, slatternly. Have a read [[http://daylandoes.com/facebook-like-scams/ here].

Agree with you OP, haven't seen the pic but ugh, vile.

RichardSimmonsTankTop Wed 21-Nov-12 14:54:33

oops

here

TheDuchessOfEarl Wed 21-Nov-12 14:59:28

Gah RichardSimmons I've been off searching for that & when I finally get back, you've already done it!

RichardSimmonsTankTop Wed 21-Nov-12 15:01:28

What can I say, Duchess - fastest fingers on the internet! smile

Sallyingforth Wed 21-Nov-12 15:01:58

Well that's Facebook for you sad

PeazlyPops Wed 21-Nov-12 15:22:18

I am really pissed off with these, I don't want to see it. I always report and unfriend.

YA definitely NBU. The majority of photographs circulating like this are actually fake or miss labelled too, i.e. a still-born baby labelled as a late term abortion. They go for the emotive 'ick' factor, because logic is not on their side.

I block and delete anyone who is stupid enough to share that crap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now