Talk

Advanced search

To feel sick after read this Facebook status...

(13 Posts)
BalthierBunansa Wed 21-Nov-12 01:12:59

One of my "friends" defended the decision of the COE to not allow the women bishops by posting this scripture www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/1-Timothy-Chapter-2/ and saying that there are many places for women in the church BUT we should stick to what the bible says and we can't change God's word to suit ourselves.

So that makes disgusting sexism okay then?
Unfriended.

LDNmummy Wed 21-Nov-12 01:16:53

Ugh that is just wrong.

Exactly why I follow no organised faith.

Bogeyface Wed 21-Nov-12 01:19:53

Isn't this (prepared to be corrected) a favourite of the Quiverful movement so beloved by the Duggars? Basically, "women, know your place"?

Cathycomehome Wed 21-Nov-12 01:21:27

I think you are not unreasonable to unfriend someone you dislike and have nothing in common with, but s/he is also not unreasonable to have view. I was surprised and saddened by the vote's outcome, but afaik, it was lay members not church hierarchy which swayed it.

Are you a Christian, Op? If you are and wanted a different outcome, I do sympathise.

Bogeyface Wed 21-Nov-12 01:21:53

LDN

Organised faiths do not always follow the word of the bible to the letter. We know this by the fact that the Methodists have had women ministers for years and that the COE ordains women ministers.

Organised religion isnt the issue, it is people who choose to use the words of the Bible to promote their own, very unChristian, beliefs.

Bogeyface Wed 21-Nov-12 01:24:21

I should add that this vote was nothing to do with what the church wanted. It was basically won by Daily Mail reading bullies who think that women are nothing more than baby producing tea makers, and their wives, who have been conditioned to think the same sad

Cathycomehome Wed 21-Nov-12 01:25:23

I agree, bogeyface, and I hoped this would be a different result, but I didn't care enough to have become a lay member of the Synod, so I guess that's the problem. I can't be both outraged AND apathetic!

AudrinaAdare Wed 21-Nov-12 01:27:21

Tim is a twat. And people who read the KJV have a tendency towards being fanatics. As satirised brilliantly here

Why not send him a link? He won't get it and you can laugh at him.

BalthierBunansa Wed 21-Nov-12 01:30:43

I'm not a die-hard Christian, I am in the time of my life where i'm exploring all religions and spiritualities and have an open mind about these things, but I tend to believe unless Jesus actually said it, don't take what other people in the Bible say as Jesus'/God's viewpoint.

BalthierBunansa Wed 21-Nov-12 01:32:14

And also, context is key!

BalthierBunansa Wed 21-Nov-12 01:35:50

Another thing is critical thinking. I don't understand how people who usually think critically and analyse things just turn into zombies when reading religious texts!

LDNmummy Wed 21-Nov-12 01:37:24

Bogey I should have elaborated.

"Organised religion isnt the issue, it is people who choose to use the words of the Bible to promote their own, very unChristian, beliefs."

You were spot on with this and it is exactly why I don't follow any organised faith.

I believe in God and have a very religiously diverse background, but I cannot stand the way people use scripture to reinforce their own bullshit ideals. Because of that, I choose to stay far away from organised faith. I also hate all the hypocrisy.

Bogeyface Wed 21-Nov-12 01:59:41

I am Atheist for the same reason! I saw too much hypocrisy, too much "do as I say..." for my, once strong, faith to survive.

I think we are in the same place but from different directions.

Incidentally, I suggest you read "Eve" by Petrina Brown. While the main subject matter is sex, pregnancy and childbirth, it gives a very interesting and insightful view about why women have been subjugated for so long. Basically, its because they were frightened of us, and for good reason! Many still are, which is why Womens Aid exists.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now