Talk

Advanced search

to pay more than the RRP for a second hand mini micro scooter on ebay?

(52 Posts)
choceyes Tue 20-Nov-12 22:46:22

I'm not sure if I'm being silly about this. WOuld love some opinions on this very trivial dilemma!

Want to get DD is a mini micro scooter. DS has the blue one, I don't want to get the pink one for DD as I don't really want the DCs thinking blue is for boys and pink is for girls, plus DD's coat is pure pink so would be far too much pinkness when she is scootering. I don't want to get another blue one either (i love DS's blue one, but I just don't want another one the same...I know I know I'm so over thinking this). Don't like the neon multicoloured ones either.

So on Ebay there is a green mini micro which is gorgeous, used but in VGC. Seller willing to sell it to me for £55 including P&P, which is more than the price of getting either a blue one for a pink one brand new.

Am I mad to conside buying this second hand one for more than I have to pay for a new one??

MagiMingeWassailsAgain Tue 20-Nov-12 22:47:51

Yes, you are a bit mad. I wouldn't pay more for a used one shock

get another blue one plus some stickers to personalise it.

BadgersBottom Tue 20-Nov-12 22:48:37

Heavens. That's a lot of angst over a bloody scooter. grin

thereinmadnesslies Tue 20-Nov-12 22:48:56

John Lewis have the green ones for £59, so £55 for a used one seems steep here

Buy a second hand pink or blue and customise it

SilverSixpence Tue 20-Nov-12 22:49:59

I got a new one direct from company website not long ago, I wouldn't pay the rrp for secondhand!

choceyes Tue 20-Nov-12 22:51:09

but it is a limited edition colour, a rare colour! I bet I'd get a good proprotion of the price back when I try to resell it!

I know you are right though, it is madness.

tutu100 Tue 20-Nov-12 22:51:18

Jojo Maman Bebe have the neon mini micro's for £60 if you can find a 20% off voucher which there normally is one floating around you could get a new scooter delivered for £48.

However if the green one is what you want and you can't get it anywhere else and you have the money for it then you aren't mad to buy it.

And why is everyone against the neon ones?!

thereinmadnesslies Tue 20-Nov-12 22:51:51

Alternatively, the manufacturer sells replacement foot plates and handle grips, so you could buy the cheapest in whatever colour then upgrade it with green replacements.

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 20-Nov-12 22:52:02

It's the kind of thing I would do. I'm quite weird about this kind of thing.

Bluebell99 Tue 20-Nov-12 22:52:49

Don't pay more than the rrp for a second hand one! That is mad.

eightytwenty Tue 20-Nov-12 22:52:53

Mini micro site has red ones. Just bought one for dd

It's not rare, you can just buy the footplate and handles yourself!

And you cant count on getting the money back if its gets buggered as it's second hand already!

AnyFucker Tue 20-Nov-12 22:54:02

Could you get a hobby ?

choceyes Tue 20-Nov-12 22:55:13

ooohh I've not seen that John Lewis one! But on the one on Ebay the whole handle is green, rather than blue and green like the John Lewis one. I don't like the multicoloured handles, I prefer just one colour.

I need to get a life don't I grin or go to bed!

The green handles are £6.95 on the min micro site

thereinmadnesslies Tue 20-Nov-12 22:56:44

Get the JL one then replace the handles?

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Tue 20-Nov-12 22:56:50

They break so fast, and the wheels fall off, how old is she, could you buy a "proper" scooter?

choceyes Tue 20-Nov-12 22:57:43

tutu100 - I hate the neon coloured ones on Jojomamanbebe. They are just too colourful and that makes it look cheap IMO like plastic tat!

AF - yep I do need to get a hobby. I'm agonising over a bloody scooter. I could be reading a book instead.

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Tue 20-Nov-12 22:58:10

You know, if you get their Catalog, you can sort of build your own scooter, and add backpacks, and baskets to attach on the front, even a SEAT to sit on when legs are tired....

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Tue 20-Nov-12 22:59:13

Some even come with detachable Samsonite roller suitcases.

Perfect for business men and flight attendants on the go!

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Tue 20-Nov-12 22:59:57

The sad part is, I am not joking.

The one with the samsonite is around £260

SavoyCabbage Tue 20-Nov-12 23:00:52

I probably would as I am overthinker.

However thereinmadnesslies has pointed out than replacement parts available so that seems like the best option.

choceyes Tue 20-Nov-12 23:02:24

IHopeYouStepOnALegoPiece - yes you are quite right about what if something breaks. For this reason I don't buy expensive things second hand I hadn't considered that in my desperation for the green scooter. I will not be buying this scooter now. Thank you for knocking some sense into me!

Thanks for the suggestions of replacing the footplate and handles. i didnt' know you could do that, will defnitely look into that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now