Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to think the ASDA Christmas advert is sexist?

(40 Posts)
starlightlover Tue 20-Nov-12 19:31:43

It seems to portray a very '1950's' vibe towards women IMO.

I'm not losing sleep over it, but it seems to be a rather demeaning and condescending advert.

StickEmUp Tue 20-Nov-12 20:22:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

starlightlover Tue 20-Nov-12 20:24:10

erm ... ok sorry?

I'm pretty new here so I haven't seen it. If I had seen it obviously I wouldn't have posted.

What a lovely welcome to MN.

gordyslovesheep Tue 20-Nov-12 20:24:44

is it Friday already!

JambalayaWarmMincePie Tue 20-Nov-12 20:25:10

I don't think she meant to be rude. It's just been done, a lot. Most people agree with you though. grin

dementedma Tue 20-Nov-12 20:25:19

I agree starlight. And welcome.grin

Fakebook Tue 20-Nov-12 20:25:54

De ja vu....

ScooseIsOnTheLoose Tue 20-Nov-12 20:26:58

Yes it does OP talk about gender stereotyping!

starlightlover Tue 20-Nov-12 20:27:38

Really is no need to be rude is there Fakebook. I had NO idea this thread had been done before.

LadyBeagle Tue 20-Nov-12 20:29:14

It's about the 5th now time I think Op.
But if you're new you weren't to know.grin

kim147 Tue 20-Nov-12 20:30:45

prudencesmom Tue 20-Nov-12 20:31:31

Welcome star!
We are not all nasty bitches wink
Always a mistake to post in AIBU when you are new to MN!
YANBU by the way.

mrskeithrichards Tue 20-Nov-12 20:32:55

Yanbu it's utter shit and she's a simpering doormat come festive control freak and he's a twat.

Welcome to mumsnet and ignore the Fred police. Every topic has been done to death at some point!

starlightlover Tue 20-Nov-12 20:33:13

Well stupid me then. If it was possible to delete this then I would.

What a lovely first impression of this site.

I'll go back to being quiet and if I ever dare to speak out again I'll make sure that I've read every single post within the last month.

JambalayaWarmMincePie Tue 20-Nov-12 20:33:42

Don't be a drama-llama about it OP. grin

mrskeithrichards Tue 20-Nov-12 20:34:52

I peeked at the asda facebook page and it was full of people going 'aw just like my crimbo <3 <3' and 'amazeballs'

Fakebook Tue 20-Nov-12 20:36:23

Wtf. How is saying "de ja vu" being rude? You really are new here aren't you?

Jenda Tue 20-Nov-12 20:37:58

I know what you mean. That doesn't particularly bother me but I do get a bit upset about all the emphasis on 'Mum's make Christmas'. It just makes me think of all the children watching who don't have a mummy. Don't know why Im so sensitive about it being lucky enough to still have my mum.

mrskeithrichards Tue 20-Nov-12 20:44:21

It's hardly a pleasant thing to say.

Yes it's been done, as have most topics. The title gives you enough of a clue what the thread will be about.

You know it was rude, you meant to be rude, at least take it when someone calls you up on it! Don't be rude then pretend you weren't!

starlightlover Tue 20-Nov-12 21:07:33

Yes I think thats rude Fakebook and I called you out on it.

So deal with it.

StickEmUp Tue 20-Nov-12 21:12:27

Fakebook Tue 20-Nov-12 21:15:46

It was more of a passing talking to myself comment. If you want to take it as rude, then that's your problem not mine. Stop getting your knickers all in a twist over a non issue. Pathetic.

Alisvolatpropiis Tue 20-Nov-12 21:17:46

You're probably not BU. To be fair Asda have probably done surveys re Christmas and had the results gone back saying women do the cooking on average.

It's not representative of my family growing up...Dad and later Stepdad did/do the cooking.

So I grew up thinking it's men who do the cooking grin

I quite like the Tesco advert though,the "Dad" great.

ratspeaker Tue 20-Nov-12 21:24:13

I agree with you Op
and because its been raised before don't take offense at folks, they've seen. read it , posted on the ad thread
btw * Asda* and other supermarkets, in some household the woman is not a martyr, the childcare is done between the parents and ummm, well in mine, the eldest son does the cooking at Xmas - and a grand job he does too, even thoughtfully caters for the veggie members, ( ie no goose fat roast tatties, no chicken stock in the soup ) love you, fruitloop of my loins, xxx

toofattorun Tue 20-Nov-12 21:25:53

Wow, this could turn nasty! <sits down in the corner and pretends no one can see>

For the record, I don't think Fakebook was being nasty, just stating fact. I think some thicker skin is in order.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now