Talk

Advanced search

to think that one day 'sleeping through' will mean just that?

(21 Posts)
newmummytobe79 Tue 20-Nov-12 16:11:10

14 month old. Sleeps well except for waking crying for dummy between 1 and say 5 times a night at worst.

There are the odd nights when both DH and I wake up and can't believe we've had a whole nights uninterupted sleep!

So ... do kids ever sleep through ... as in the WHOLE night?

Or shall I just accept it now that most nights will be interupted ... and just have another? grin

MrsMiniversCharlady Tue 20-Nov-12 16:13:25

My 7 yo usually stays in his own bed all night if I pay him so there is some hope for you grin

brainonastick Tue 20-Nov-12 16:15:59

I hope so, although I'm up with one of mine (5 & 3) more often than not - illness, dreams, toileting sheer bloody annoying ness.

<faints in horror at the thought of adding another one into the mix>

My 10 year old is still working on this confused

newmummytobe79 Tue 20-Nov-12 16:17:33

Well it looks like paying 7 year olds to sleep is the way forward grin

thebody Tue 20-Nov-12 16:19:26

Honestly they do and guess what when they reach a certain age they lie in till noon!!!!

Have to say though I did controlled crying with first one at 18 months as I felt I could have actually harmed him or me due to exhaustion.

Didn't need to with next 3 as learnt to be firm but fair over bedtime.

Not everyone's cup of tea but for me it was a MIRACLE...

newmummytobe79 Tue 20-Nov-12 16:20:04

BettySwollocks your 10 year old is still up every night!?!

swallows pill and stops thinking of having another just yet! grin

brainonastick Tue 20-Nov-12 16:21:26

Ironically, mine actually slept better as babies.

Newmummy - my DS has always been a nightmare sleeper to be honest and he goes through fits and starts. We are getting there slowly but yes, quite often he will wake in the night and call out etc.

MrsMiniversCharlady Tue 20-Nov-12 16:23:38

We pay him 10p a night with a 50p bonus if he manages 7 consecutive nights. We haggled him down from 10 quid a night, so I think this is a bargain grin

If it worked on babies I'd have tried it years ago wink

PS I also have three older children who all slept through from much younger ages smile

Mrs.....may just try this smile

When we had problems when he was younger with his toilet habits we used to pay him 50p a day not to poo himself and that worked a treat.

Whoknowswhocares Tue 20-Nov-12 16:26:59

10 years old!! I doubt they'd have lasted that long don't think I could have managed that! Mine slept from early on except when they were I'll or something. I too used the controlled crying approach with DS1. DS2 didn't need it.......he used to cry if I wouldn't let him have an afternoon nap up to the age of 3!

Well, I dont really have much choice whoknows...giving him away is not an option wink

RichardSimmonsTankTop Tue 20-Nov-12 16:31:47

Hmm, I wonder if I could get someone to pay me 50p/day to not poo myself, I could really use the extra £15 each month.

Whoknowswhocares Tue 20-Nov-12 16:32:18

Not even once a week to a gullible caring relative? grin

Richard - haha!

Mrs - Nope, no family about and much as he is a pain in the behind at nightime I love him dearly grin

GrimAndHumourless Tue 20-Nov-12 16:38:09

Get rid of dumny

TexMex Tue 20-Nov-12 16:42:14

Do you have a dummy strap/clip? I got one for DD and we practiced how to put it in when it was clipped to her PJ's. When she woke in the night crying for it I reminded her it was on a clip and to try and find it. Not an instant fix but eventually she got it and started to put it in herself on a night. She still wakes randomly for other reasons but it sorted the dummy!

When DS was little we scattered dummies all over the cot so there was always one near for him to plug himself in.

DragonMamma Tue 20-Nov-12 17:03:00

I often wonder this. With 2 DC'S we can be on the go some nights. DD who is almost 5 will do 7-7 around 95% of the time but when she does wake it's usually for a valid reason.

beamme Tue 20-Nov-12 17:13:49

I have a ds 7 who has slept through nearly every night from about 3 months. I then have a dd who is 5 and rarely sleeps through. At best she will sleep through 2 nights a week

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now