Talk

Advanced search

To think that the acronym LMFAO is not suitable for Y6 (10 and 11 yr olds) to be using in their artwork?

(18 Posts)
RightUpMyRue Mon 19-Nov-12 16:10:32

I've just popped into school to say as much to the teacher. I said I can only assume he was unaware of what it stood for? shock

He was unaware but apparently it's also the name of band so he thinks it's OK for the children to self-censor in this situation. I'm not so sure confused I think he'll end up with complaints from parents and possibly other teachers too if he displays these posters in the corridor.

I wasn't complaining, as such, because if he didn't know what it meant then how could he say not to use it and I can see his argument about the children being given the opportunity to decide what's appropriate and what's not but at the same time fucking is a pretty strong word for primary school art!

mrskeithrichards Mon 19-Nov-12 16:12:19

Fat

Frontpaw Mon 19-Nov-12 16:13:33

Arse?

RightUpMyRue Mon 19-Nov-12 16:14:02

No need to get personal mrskeith! Besides, it's a baby not fat!

CSIJanner Mon 19-Nov-12 16:15:49

It's also the name of a group. Goggle "am sexy and I know it". My niece and her group of friends (11yo) all love them. It could be just the group name instead of the acronym, although that could be wishful thinking..

Princessishavingababyboo Mon 19-Nov-12 16:16:46

It can also mean 'love my friends and others' maybe this is the way school are looking at it?

Sallster Mon 19-Nov-12 16:17:38

I was shocked when my DSS posted "OMFG" on his Facebook page last week (he's just turned 13) but my DH didn't bat an eye. I'm pretty sure I was swearing like a trooper at his age (but NEVER in front of my parents!), but somehow seeing him using the F word (even in acronym form) was bad. Woe betide him when he uses it to our faces!!!!

MrsChristmasVamos Mon 19-Nov-12 16:18:05

Apparently, as far as the band goes, LMFAO actually means Loving My Friends And Others.

Not the rude version you are thinking of.

I must admit, even though I know this, I still think of the rude version whenever I see it.

Although, the band's version could also be misconstrued as rude.

Oh, heck, I'm confused. grin

Frontpaw Mon 19-Nov-12 16:18:11

Apparently the word is 'freaking' I think arse is still the though. Arm just wouldn't work.

mrskeithrichards Mon 19-Nov-12 16:18:46

And it's more ass than arse which is less sweary!

Frontpaw Mon 19-Nov-12 16:19:17

www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/lmfao-trademark-application-310996

NoraGainesborough Mon 19-Nov-12 16:19:20

Would depend on the picture, Imo.

Frontpaw Mon 19-Nov-12 16:19:45

Arse is better i think. More Father Jack.

Justforlaughs Mon 19-Nov-12 16:29:54

If you think that's bad my friend text her 10 yo "WTF" when she found out her test results - apparently she though it meant "well that's fantastic"!!! grin

freddiefrog Mon 19-Nov-12 16:45:24

My mum used to finish every text LOL

As in 'I've bought you some sausages LOL'

I used to wonder what on earth was funny until I realised she thought it meant lots of love. I had to tell her before she put her foot in it

valiumredhead Mon 19-Nov-12 17:38:10

freddie a friend texted me in hospital "Bet it really hurts LOL x"

I was most put out until I twigged grin

bruffin Mon 19-Nov-12 17:40:17

My mum thought LOL meant little old lady.

lovelyladuree Mon 19-Nov-12 19:16:21

They will use it in their artwork because they are definitely using it in the playground.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now