Talk

Advanced search

to sometimes use the iPad as a babysitting support device?

(11 Posts)
quesadilla Mon 19-Nov-12 11:03:13

Not a proper babysitter, god forbid. But I work from home a fair bit (can't afford five day a week childcare and my work is fairly tolerant about this.) Quite a lot of that time I can get on with things, potter about and play with my toddler and finish early so I can take her out to the shops/park/softplay in the afternoon but when I have to take work-related calls I tend to set her up to watch stuff on the iPad. I feel appallingly guilty about it because I like to limit the amount of screen time she gets and not have it on as wallpaper, but sometimes its literally the only way to guarantee half an hour's peace in order to take a call without having her pull my trouser leg and demand attention. Does that make me a bad parent? or am I just being pragmatic?

lalabaloo Mon 19-Nov-12 11:11:10

Of course that doesn't make you a bad parent, it might not be what you would want to do ideally but sometimes needs must. I'm assuming its not that often anyway?

quesadilla Mon 19-Nov-12 11:12:21

it depends: if I don't have any calls I won't do it at all. if I have, say, two work-related phonecalls in the day it can end up being two half-hour periods in a day.

Sokmonsta Mon 19-Nov-12 11:12:53

Ds(2) plays Thomas the tank engine games on the iPad when there are things which need to be done and he's in cling to mummy mode. As long as its balanced out by plenty of other stuff and personal interaction, no harm done.

Mrsjay Mon 19-Nov-12 11:17:54

why do you feel guilty children like tv programmes cartoons and the games are interactive you really dont need to be stimulating you child all day every day honestly it is fine dont feel guilty about anything

lalabaloo Mon 19-Nov-12 11:23:18

That's completely fine, you aren't ignoring her, she does plenty of other activities, dont waste any time feeling guilty about it!

quesadilla Mon 19-Nov-12 11:23:31

I don't know why I feel guilty: my mum was very phobic about TV -- a bit snobby about it really -- and I've subconsciously inherited this, I think. I'm not one of those people who thinks kids shouldn't watch TV at all -- I think this is silly actually -- but I can't help feeling that dumping a child in front of a screen is a bit neglectful and I don't know if I'm just being neurotic. And the iPad seems to be so addictive. Thing is sometimes I really don't have an alternative if my DH is working and I'm at home.

JackThePumpkinKing Mon 19-Nov-12 11:25:04

I think it's fine! If it was all day then it would be a bit much, but it's no different to putting the telly on for half an hour. Actually, it's better because you can pick and choose what she watches.

MarathonMama Mon 19-Nov-12 11:25:57

I always feel guilty as I have a demanding 8mo and so DD1 (who's 3) ends up watching loads of TV (2-3 hours a day) while I'm breastfeeding, mush feeding, nappy changing, cleaning etc. Otherwise she's jumping on me. I can't see how an ipad is much different and as long as they're doing stuff in between that's stimulating, surely it's ok?

We can't be perfect, baking, jigsaw-puzzle doing, craft constructing, reading Mums 24/7 (and we shouldn't be if we want our children to be independent adults).

Mrsjay Mon 19-Nov-12 11:27:51

I think you can limit screen time and tbh I didnt let my children veg infront of telly all day, but it is ok you know to let her watch something you really don't need to be entertaining her all day and a little down time does her good,

I think you said because your own mum was snobby and a bit iffy about it then you feel you are doing it all wrong, your really not smile

Marzipanface Mon 19-Nov-12 11:27:55

No, of course you are not a bad parent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now