Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To keep this cat in our house tonight?

(44 Posts)
ToothGah Sun 18-Nov-12 23:24:47

I came home at 4pm-ish and there was a cat sitting on our neighbour's drive. Neighbour doesn't have a cat. Cat has no collar.

Cat followed me down the drive and into the house. We have a cat-hating dog so I fussed her, but shoo-ed her out again.

Cat sat outside the back door and meowed/cried very loudly constantly for over an hour. When DP got home, she was still there.

She carried on crying and we started worrying as we live on a really busy road. So DP knocked about 20 doors looking for her owners, no luck.

We've let her into the back garden and she won't go away - she just cries at us and comes back into the kitchen. We've fed her and she was starving hungry. She's not scared of the dog, in fact the cat is growling at her.

So we've kept her in, as DP is stressing about her getting run over. She's now upstairs on the dog's cushion. Dog is not impressed but considering she hates cats, she has behaved pretty well.

We're going to take cat to get scanned for a microchip tomorrow. AWBU for not leaving her out on the road?

mignonette Sun 18-Nov-12 23:29:03

Good for you. Compassion is never unreasonable. Get her scanned as you've said and take it from there. We were followed home by a male cat a year ago. He never left. Sadly Thomas died last week but we never regretted taking him in and would do it again.

WorraLiberty Sun 18-Nov-12 23:29:34

Well yes and no really.

As long as you're happy to take care of her for the night then YANBU

But if you didn't, she'd probably find her way home anyway as cats often do.

I think she summed you up as a soft touch when you allowed her in, fussed her and then shooed her out wink

Hope she's microchipped and you find the owners.

ToothGah Sun 18-Nov-12 23:45:29

She only got into the porch before I put her out again. But I was worried that she would rely on us if we were nice but we just couldn't bloody help it, she's so cute She's been trying to eat off our plates. I really hope she isn't pregnant, but I think it's too late in the year for that.

I have a pretty serious cat allergy, I have hives up my arms and both eyes are red and swollen.

Cat is bloody ace though. I'd love to keep her.

mignonette Sun 18-Nov-12 23:49:38

Ha ha wink. She'll probably have the last word on that....

CajaDeLaMemoria Sun 18-Nov-12 23:51:32

I have the male version of this cat. Down to the meowing. He isn't chipped. Does have a collar but no details.

Asked everyone, alerted vets, put up posters.

He's been here 2 months now. Goes out but always comes back. Lovely boy. Am now wondering how on earth we leave him when we move next year, I love him dearly.

mignonette Sun 18-Nov-12 23:53:30

You'll have to take him, Caja. Or maybe I could take him....My cat just died and maybe next year we'll be able to think about a new cat.

ToothGah Sun 18-Nov-12 23:55:50

Cat now has her head in a box of M&S cheese twists. Never met a cat so greedy or affectionate.

Dog has been very, very good. She did lunge once at her and cat dug her claws into DPs neck - but cat is very unafraid and dog seems to be accepting her.

We'll put posters up tomorrow if she doesn't have a microchip.

mignonette Mon 19-Nov-12 00:04:32

I so so miss my cat. They are an endless source of entertainment. I am having to live vicariously through the cat tales of MNers.

ThatVikRinA22 Mon 19-Nov-12 00:07:28

yanbu. she is clearly lost and you are very kind op. i hope someone would do this for my moggies if they got lost. they are both chipped.

OkayHazel Mon 19-Nov-12 00:09:00

The cat is eating cheese twists because she is starving.
One on my road ate a packet of quavers from my hands.
Turns out the old lady she belonged to had died and noone had remembered the cat.

nametakenagain Mon 19-Nov-12 00:19:14

I lost a cat years ago and it still upsets me that I never found out what happened to him.

I recently found a dead cat on the road and it took it to be scanned at the vets.

I also fed a stray overnight recently.

You did the right thing, I think. Fwiw.

NatashaBee Mon 19-Nov-12 00:23:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ullena Mon 19-Nov-12 00:23:46

I think you did the right thing. You could also ask your local radio to mention that you have found a cat, in case she is lost and her owners are looking for her smile

ToothGah Mon 19-Nov-12 00:32:30

I hope she's from the houses over the back, we'll knock up some more people tomorrow.

She is so lovely and so affectionate. I would love to keep her, even though I look like a zombie with red eyes and scabby arms!

Secondsop Mon 19-Nov-12 01:06:36

If my cat ever gets lost I hope he finds someone like you who will make sure he's safe and take him to the vet to be checked for a microchip. You did a good thing.

ChippingInLovesAutumn Mon 19-Nov-12 01:53:45

You are doing a good thing smile

the allergy does get better after a while

PrincessSymbian Mon 19-Nov-12 02:05:26

My mums friend used to be really allergic to cats, then moved in with my mum who had three and while living there built up her tolerance to the cats and now has two of her own.
Allergies can sometimes be gotten over!

boomting Mon 19-Nov-12 02:14:36

You're doing the right thing. I think sometimes they just wander a bit too far and get lost, but I also came across a cat (one of the few cats I've ever met and truly liked!) that moved in with the neighbours when it became very ill and its own owners didn't do anything about it.

CSIJanner Mon 19-Nov-12 02:23:57

I would suggest opening a can of tuna but then the cat will adopt you which may not be so good with your allergies.

However good for you for taking it in. My cat went missing for 5 days and was worried sick as she has allergies. Turned up with a new collar saying Tiddles on it. Wasn't too pleased with that but v happy to have her home.

TiredBooyhoo Mon 19-Nov-12 02:45:10

aww. you're doing the right thing.

would it be possible to take a photo and put on FB is you have it? also could you print a few posters for local vets when you go down tomorrow?

i hope that if my cats ever get lost they meet someone like you. it's really horrible here tonight and i'm so glad both mine are inside.

Lilicat1013 Mon 19-Nov-12 04:48:05

It is lovely that you are looking after her.

If it turns out she needs a home I also wanted to add allergies can be overcome. I have allergies but we always had cats when I was growing up, you just become immune to your own cats over time.

sidandlinus Mon 19-Nov-12 06:43:25

Hi there
The fact that she's very affectionate and very hungry suggests she may be pregnant - same thing happened to us six years ago. A stray turned up and was insistent on coming in (in spite of three other cats and a dog) - we let her and two weeks later she gave birth to two kittens (who we kept!) Good luck - maybe the vet will let you know when you check out microchip. Think you have been very kind.

ZeldaUpNorth Mon 19-Nov-12 07:16:17

My cat Pebbles is currently missing and I'm hoping she has found someone like you is taking care of her.

Where are you btw, hope it's not my cat as she is really affectionate too smile

valiumredhead Mon 19-Nov-12 08:00:19

I have PM'd you OP smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now