Talk

Advanced search

to think that these are not helpful responses?

(11 Posts)
PeggyCarter Sun 18-Nov-12 16:16:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GhostShip Sun 18-Nov-12 16:24:55

In a way, I agree because people don't half complain about SHITE and sometimes in I'm a particularly bad or bitter mood I might say some of the above. BUT its all relative isn't it, one problem that may seem silly for one may be massive for another. This forum is particular is great for venting, even for silly things.

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Sun 18-Nov-12 16:30:22

YANBU about your 1,2,3 and 4.

But I think yabu about your no 5.

Being thankful for what you have is the key to happiness, so I don't think that trying to get someone to see the silver lining in the cloud is necessarily a bad thing. As long as its times right and is accompanied with sympathy and understanding, it's good advice.

PeggyCarter Sun 18-Nov-12 16:35:38

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Sun 18-Nov-12 16:39:33

These things are always exaggerated on FB where you have to try and convey sympathy and understanding as well as something positive in only a few words.

PeggyCarter Sun 18-Nov-12 16:50:37

MayTheOddsBeEverInYourFavour Sun 18-Nov-12 16:52:44

I think it depends. I agree with you for the most part but sometimes people do complain about ridiculous things or they complain about things to the wrong audience

It never hurts to try and act with a bit of sensitivity and that includes choosing your audience wisely (and that's part of the trouble with Facebook)

tethersend Sun 18-Nov-12 16:55:09

You forgot no.6- put them in a sling.

It's the answer for everything grin

MrsBW Sun 18-Nov-12 17:21:29

I think it depends what advice you're looking for when you pose a problem.

If you want fluffy virtual hugs, people to agree with you and simply o 'there, there' then YANBU.

Trouble is, a lot of the time there isn't a solution to a problem as such and all people can do is lend an ear.... Which in itself only does so much towards 'fixing' the problem. So them they will offer solutions.

I'm an Army wife and in the 24 hrs after himself indoors goes on a 6 month tour, nothing anyone can say will make me feel better. So, sometimes, the best advice is 'give yourself a 24 hr pity party, then man the hell up and crack on'. It's advice that is often dished out.

Sometimes, when its another problem being discussed, the only advice that anyone can give is their personal perspective - which may be 'worse' than than the OPs. Doesn't make the advice less valuable in my opinion. It's just another perspective.

YABU. If a poster wants everyone to blindly agree with them when they post a problem, them they should say so at the beginning.

NoraGainesborough Sun 18-Nov-12 17:37:47

Tbh, I only say things like above (apart from 5 which I think everyone should do anyway) when I am fed up of hearing it.
Example a friend keeps moaning about her dp. The dame thing over and over. But never does anything. I get fed up so just say something that will hopefully make her shut up.
i love her but 2 years of the same conversation is grating.

NoraGainesborough Sun 18-Nov-12 17:38:53

Oh I have also never used the 'first world problem'.

I haven't even heard it in rl, only on MN.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now