Talk

Advanced search

To be mad at dh for not keeping ontop of housework when I'm sick.

(5 Posts)
lisad123 Sun 18-Nov-12 15:55:05

I went to a work thing yesterday and came home about 3pm feeling rather awful and have got worse. Migraine, dizzy, feeling dizzy and sick type bug.
I have taken to my bed and finally got up but feeling dizzy everytime I stand.
By looks of things he has got kids dressed and to church, made lunch and put on one load of washing. He woke me this morning to say he couldn't find clothes for kids hmm
The house is a tip, you'd and clothes everywhere and now looks like I will be cooking dinner.
AIBU to think if I'm not well that the whole house shouldn't fall apart, and that he should pick up the slack?

Go back to bed. Don't look at the mess. Order take away for tea.

Plomino Sun 18-Nov-12 16:13:33

I sympathise . I am on sofa with leg in plaster at the moment and cannot do a damn thing . DH has had to take over supervising all the cleaning , washing and cooking and driving . Until today , the house was starting to slide gradually downhill , the washing pile was growing , the dishes were starting to stack . I actively loathe mess . I cannot sit down amidst a pile of cups , cutlery and assorted crap without fretting .

But, a miracle has occurred . Because I couldn't do a thing about it, I haven't said a word , and the law of consequences seems to be taking effect . Kids have realised that if they want anything washed or a clean cup to drink out of , then they need to sort it out themselves . So they have . DS2 did the uniform wash today , shoes for school have been found , and the dishwasher is humming along merrily.

Go back to bed . Let him sort it out . It's one day , maybe two , and at least he's got some tasks done. It's not the end of the world . And yes , eat takeaway just for once . Cooking when you've got a sick bug does no one any favours at all .

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Sun 18-Nov-12 16:33:18

Yes he should pick up the slack, but you can't expect him to be you or to do things exactly as you would do them. As long as he makes the effort and is caring for you and your children, I don't think you should turn it into a big deal that the house is a bit of a mess.

The same happens if I'm out of action for whatever reason, but in a way it's nice. I'd feel redundant if it didn't make any difference if I was there or not.

lisad123 Sun 18-Nov-12 16:35:53

Well he seems to have woken up to the fact that if he doesn't do it nothing happened grin
Dinner is in the oven, although we have to discuss timing, he is currently cleaning the bathroom and uniforms are out ready to be ironed later.
Maybe I reacted too soon blush
I hate sitting in mess, drives me insane.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now