to be annoyed by grown adults who say they can't cook?

(215 Posts)
Mintyy Sun 18-Nov-12 14:47:25

I don't think I am.

It just makes me think that the person saying as much is a little bit useless.

GalaxyDefender Tue 20-Nov-12 08:10:20

I can follow a recipe. But I don't consider that "being able to cook", that's just following instructions, it's hardly difficult!

Being able to cook, to me, means being like my mum - being able to just look at a cupboard of ingredients and go "I can make this, this and that". And then do it without recipes or any sort of outside help.
The only thing I can make like that is pancakes grin And even then it's hit and miss! So I don't think I can cook, really.

Bonsoir Tue 20-Nov-12 08:15:47

YADNBU. Cooking (or rather catering - meal planning, shopping, cooking, serving) is, frankly, a basic life skill that all adults ought to grasp.

justmyview Tue 20-Nov-12 13:01:25

For Yorkshire puddings - you need to heat up fat in the muffin tray for 5 minutes until it's really hot, fill up the tray fast (so it doesn't cool down) and don't open the oven once they're cooking. If you do, they'll sink.

You can freeze them and then reheat from frozen another time. Good to make them in advance in case they don't work!

squoosh Tue 20-Nov-12 13:03:25

Yorkshire pudding = Food of the Gods.

GrendelsMum Tue 20-Nov-12 14:30:47

Yorkshire pudding with syrup and cream = truly excellent pudding

HollyTV Tue 10-Jan-17 13:58:19

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

madcatwoman61 Tue 10-Jan-17 18:53:15

My mother hated cooking and did not encourage us to be in the kitchen. No cookery at school either. I can cook enough to keep myself alive but have no interest in it. I married a good cook and my children (adult) cook well with enthusiasm - There are many other things I can do well though!

chatnanny Tue 10-Jan-17 19:00:40

Each to their own. I was always interested and used to take over from my mother. DH has no interest and would happily live on fish fingers. Even those he serves raw on one side burnt on the other. To me it's a relaxation and a joy.

Secretlythesame Tue 10-Jan-17 20:01:50

YABU. I can't cook very well. Nothing 'gels' for me, so I can't understand what ingredients would go well together, how things should taste, when to tell if things are done properly. I don't have any imagination regarding meals. I don't enjoy cooking. I could follow a recipe but I would find it arduous. I prepare meals in that I follow instructions for heating things up, I boil pasta and add sauce and so on.

I do get a little irritated by DH who is similar to me except he just doesn't make any effort whatsoever. If he HAS to prepare the meal (if, for example, I'm out for the evening) it's toast or takeaway. He simply makes no effort, sees cooking as a complete waste of his time.

We are a lawyer and a city banker btw so I'm not sure about 'useless' in general but pretty useless in the kitchen, yes.

I do worry about our DS not growing up with good role models regarding food and cooking though. Also because I'm determined to bake his birthday cake and god only knows how it will taste.

glueandstick Tue 10-Jan-17 20:07:21

You've just reminded me that there is a spag bol on the hob. It's been hours.....

YesThisIsMe Tue 10-Jan-17 20:10:54

What is this? International Resurrect a Zombie Thread Day?

MNHQ, you have got to do something about this!

Frazzled2207 Tue 10-Jan-17 20:20:11

it's a bit rubbish, however my dad has literally never cooked because he never had to. went pretty much from living with his mum to living with mine, who had provided him with 3 meals a day every day since 1974. Despite working full time herself most of that time. So he never really had the motivation to learn!

Frazzled2207 Tue 10-Jan-17 20:20:14

it's a bit rubbish, however my dad has literally never cooked because he never had to. went pretty much from living with his mum to living with mine, who had provided him with 3 meals a day every day since 1974. Despite working full time herself most of that time. So he never really had the motivation to learn!

OliviaStabler Tue 10-Jan-17 20:24:00

ZOMBIE THREAD

IslaLettuce Tue 10-Jan-17 21:15:42

It seems very childish when people say they can't cook. Surely it's one of those basics that you learn, sew a button on, balance your finances, get a pension etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now