Talk

Advanced search

to think 8am is too early for building work on a weekend morning?

(14 Posts)
reindeerjumper Sun 18-Nov-12 08:46:17

8am. Pneumatic drills.hammers.drilling.next door. Erghhhhhhhhh.

Jinsei Sun 18-Nov-12 08:49:38

Yanbu.

Allonsy Sun 18-Nov-12 08:51:03

YANBU i want to get started with hoovering the house (i have my reasons) but will wait till after 9am as its Sunday

Shakirasma Sun 18-Nov-12 08:51:21

YANBU, that is very antisocial. In fact professional builders are prohibited from doing noisy work on Sundays at any time of the day!

Can you go and ask them to wait until later? It is difficult for people who work in the week to get their DIY done but they do need to show some consideration.

CharlieCoCo Sun 18-Nov-12 15:26:29

I thought they were allowed to do this on a sunday before a certan time. noise law or something.

EddieVeddersfoxymop Sun 18-Nov-12 15:43:08

reindeerjumper, are you my neighbour? grin

Our joiners came back today to continue where they left off last week due to faulty parts being delivered. We had no choice, they had to come today to stop the rain pissing into my dining room.

If you're not my neighbour, but my neighbour is reading this, I'm so sorry!! Nothing I could do though.

starfishmummy Sun 18-Nov-12 16:05:58

We were in a similar position to Eddie. It was one Sunday only and the builder visited the neighbours the day before to apologise in advance.

maddening Sun 18-Nov-12 17:19:37

It is - check out your council's website- the environmental health section might give you acceptable times.

LondonNinja Sun 18-Nov-12 17:43:18

I think they can do 8-1 on a Saturday but none on Sunday. Our arsehole/bitch/shrew neighbour had noisy work going on for eight months when I had a newborn. She had lied told us it would take just 12 weeks to speed up a party wall thing she needed us to sign... I wanted to kill her as I was sleep deprived and recovering from various things. Thing is, I would have moved to my parents' place had we been given the full picture. Fucking cow. Sorry, but this is still a sore point and we no longer speak.

Our other neighbour, a nice woman, is now having work done and has told the builders to lay off weekends and to be careful re noise etc. Somehow, her consideration has made it so much more bearable.

Teabagtights Sun 18-Nov-12 17:45:42

I think if you are going to have work done on a Sunday the most decent and polite thing to do is to knock on your neighbours door and give them the heads up, not let them be woken up to crappy noise on a Sunday.

ZZZenAgain Sun 18-Nov-12 17:48:03

8am on a Sunday sounds grim. I wouldn't be thrilled about that either. We have builders next door atm (but not at the weekends). They seem to start with great gusto and make a tremendous noise somewhere between 7:30-8 and then they go very quiet for about 2 hours.

NUFC69 Sun 18-Nov-12 17:52:12

The house next door to us was sold and the new people demolished it and built a new house - as someone upthread said there are rules about these things. When the new neighbours were given planning permission they were also told the hours they could work (8.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m. if I remember rightly on weekdays, 8.00 until 1.00 on a Saturday and no Sunday work). It was infuriating during the winter months, as they would arrive outside with a big truck anytime after seven and then sit there with the engine running until eight o'clock. I would check your council's website to see what the rules are in your area.

RedHelenB Sun 18-Nov-12 17:55:25

YABU to me as with children I am always up before 8am & what about npeople who work nights & have to get their sleep during the day? I think with the Sunday opening law change a peaceful Sabbath is a thing of the past!!!

electricalbanana Sun 18-Nov-12 17:55:33

last summer our neighbour decided to take a wheel off his car....a wheel which, by the sounds of it, was fused on with rust.

It was 7am...our windows were open (only hot day) and Sunday

I poked my head out of the window and gave him one of my paddington bear stares....he looked up and said "what!?"

i couldnt think of a retort....i just gave him a harder stare and went back in

God i wish i had said something.....i am crap at that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now