Talk

Advanced search

To tell DS Rudolph ate the model??

(21 Posts)
RudolphDefender Sat 17-Nov-12 21:16:35

DS is 5. He just wrote (handwriting, not drawing, for the first time!) his letter to Santa. But he asked for a toy that I just can't find in Brazil (where we live). Apparently, I could only find it in some european shops - and the costs of shipping are prohibitive... So, would I be mean if I made Santa write him a letter to say that Rudolph ate the model of that toy, and that he had to choose another one? Or anyone has a bettre idea?? blush

Bluestocking Sat 17-Nov-12 21:17:40

What is the toy? I bet somone on here can source it for you ...

RudolphDefender Sat 17-Nov-12 21:19:32

He wants a Lego Batman set 7886. Searching the web, I found it's a rare one... But he refuses to change it for any other lego set!

honeytea Sat 17-Nov-12 21:20:15

Was it the only thing he asked for? Whilst I was growing up the list was just some ideas for santa, he would bring some of the things and not other more expensive things.

RudolphDefender Sat 17-Nov-12 21:24:15

Well, here Santa's present is supposed to be the most expensive one - parents are allowed to give smaller things... But he has made his mind. I've tried to convince him that maybe he would like the lego train (the one with remote control - it's expensive, but at least I can find it here!), but no! He wants that one... And I wouldn't want him to be disappointed in the first year he really WROTE the letter to Santa!

PickledFanjoCat Sat 17-Nov-12 21:25:32

Do you know anyone who could post it?

<or is that too expensive>

RudolphDefender Sat 17-Nov-12 21:29:49

I thought about it. I have a cousin living in France, but don't wanna give him this trouble. In fact, I don't think I should have all this trouble to get an specific toy - but don't wanna dissapoint DS either... Just looking for the best way to make him decide for another toy...

RudolphDefender Sat 17-Nov-12 21:33:48

Does anyone knows how to make a 5 yo understand that maybe Santa won't bring the toy he asked for??

steppemum Sat 17-Nov-12 21:41:56

my daughter has asked for a flitter fairy that she saw in a shop. It is crap. I will not buy it. Today she was talking about it and how much she wants santa to bring it. I told her straight that santa wasn't going to bring it. In this case I said it was because santa knows it is crap and he has better ideas for you.

In your case I would level with him and tell him that santa would like to bring it, but you can't buy it in brazil and santa needs help buying all the presents, so he has helpers in brazil, and they can't get it.

My ds wants a lego model that is rare and costs £100 second hand. I told him santa doesn't spend that much, because in this house he doesn't.

both dd and ds were accpeting that actually santa does have limitations

Whatever you decide, don't leave him expecting it on Christmas morning.

Mandy2003 Sat 17-Nov-12 21:45:18

If you search it on ebay.co.uk one comes up from a US seller. That's got to be better than buying from Europe, geographically speaking. It is £109.99 (£69.41) for the bike, the 4WD, 2 figures and some things that look like spanners. Is that the one? Is that a reasonable price?

<very glad we only liked Lego Creator icon>

RudolphDefender Sat 17-Nov-12 21:51:06

I agree with you, steppemum.
I won't let him expecting it... He knows that Santa has some limitations, but he thinks it's only about knowing or not how to make the toys. So, I thought if Santa wrote him a letter to say he has no way to make the toy, he would maybe change his mind about the toy he wants... But... Is it awful to say that it's Rudolph' fault?

RudolphDefender Sat 17-Nov-12 22:02:58

Yes, Mandy, think that's the one. But the thing is: I really don't think I should try soooo hard to get that toy. You see, when he asked for a bike, he got it. When he asked for a Max Steel enemy, he got it - but these were easy to find. And I think I shouldn't be spending so much time looking for this batman set - in fact, I'm trying to find a way to tell him that he can't have everything he wants... But without blaming it on Santa...

steppemum Sat 17-Nov-12 22:05:43

I personally try to stick to the nearest version of the truth, which is way I say the 'toy is rubbish' and 'toy is too expensive' argument with mine. I wouldn't be able to convincingly spin a tale about Rudolph, I would end up tied in knot!

Mandy2003 Sat 17-Nov-12 22:05:59

Hmm. I see your dilemma!

I'd agree with steppemum then, and tell him about the problems of getting certain items in Brazil. Good luck grin

RudolphDefender Sat 17-Nov-12 22:12:15

Well, we've got hollydays in here now, so I told him I cannot post his letter until wednesday - got some time to make him change his mind!!! I cannot say the toy is rubbish - lego is very very ok, and the expensive argument is off - that's what Santa is made for, to give what the parents don't wanna can't buy. But, anyway, thak you for trying to help!

WorraLiberty Sat 17-Nov-12 22:16:35

I don't see how that's going to work OP.

What if he asks for a top of the range ipad next year?

Try if you can next year to tell him Santa likes 3 sensible suggestions (so a real live dinosaur is out) and if he's good, Santa will bring him one of those suggestions.

That way if one thing's out of stock, the other will hopefully be in...and it gives you some ideas of what to buy him from 'you'.

picnicbasketcase Sat 17-Nov-12 22:18:43

Santa has to get presents for every child in the world and he'll be skint by next Xmas if he gets everyone exactly what they want?

lunchbox Sat 17-Nov-12 22:19:01

Just tell him it's really expensive and if Santa got him that then some other child would have to go without a present.

Smellslikecatspee Sat 17-Nov-12 22:22:25

When I was about 7 I think I wanted a crying pee-ing doll as did every other girl in the world.

Mum says they begged borrowed etc, ad no luck.

So my big sis did a letter from Santa, back when I didn't know that you could have typed letters in 'hand writing' yes I am that old.

I still remember strolling in to school after Christmas boasting, yes bragging that you all may have got the best ever baby doll, BUT I GOT A LETTER FROM SANTA. . . . .na na na na na na

And Santa knew that 'cause I was so big and clever and brave grin I could wait till my birthday.

I actually still have the letter.

Do a letter and explain.

RudolphDefender Sat 17-Nov-12 22:44:30

Worra, good idea for the next year (if he still believes in Santa then). For now... I think Santa is going to write a letter to say he's not going to get this lego batman set. Who knows, maybe he'll be thrilled about receiving this letter, right, Smellslike?

sashh Sun 18-Nov-12 04:31:41

It's on ebay

www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=Lego+Batman+set+7886&_sacat=0&_from=R40

I think santa might only be able to give certain toys to children in certain continents, so he will have to give this to a child in Europ, but maybe when that child has finished it could be sent on to your ds. That way two children get to play with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now