Talk

Advanced search

kensington diana memorial playground

(11 Posts)
bruffin Sat 17-Nov-12 13:19:50

To think it's sad that a adult can't go in the playground without a child.
I have a few hours to spare so have been wandering round.hyde park.
Have always wanted to see the playground but never got round to it while dcs were young.
I had a look at the elfin oak then went through the gate to see the playground. A security guard came rushing out and asked me if I had a child with me. I said no, and he told me I had to leave. He was apologetic and just doing his job. But it has upset me. That an adult can't be trusted around children.

OpheliaPayneAgain Sat 17-Nov-12 13:22:47

The opening times of the Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Playground are:

May - August: 10.00 - 19.45
April and September: 10.00 - 18.45
March & early October: 10.00 - 17.45
February & late October: 10.00 - 16.45
November - January: 10.00 - 15.45
Last entry 15 minutes prior to closing time. The playground is closed on the 25th December.

Children up to the age of 12 are allowed in the playground.

Please note: unaccompanied adults may only enter the playground between 9.30 and 10.00.

it's to stop the place being full of tourists when it's a childrens play area

Nancy66 Sat 17-Nov-12 13:24:19

Maybe it's more to do with keeping tourists at bay so that kids can play there?

Have you seen the new (ish) RAF memorial at Green Park - that's really impressive and not far from where you are

ecclesvet Sat 17-Nov-12 13:28:39

Their website says that unaccompanied adults can visit the playground between 9:30 and 10:00, if you really want to see it. Ridiculous hysteria, I agree.

Nancy66 Sat 17-Nov-12 13:30:11

...oh and the Albert Memorial is looking pretty splendid since it was restored - maybe go and have a look at that

OpheliaPayneAgain Sat 17-Nov-12 13:31:09

You'd have sightseers cluttering up the place that was specifically designed as a sensory centre for children just because of the name 'diana'. It's not hysterical - it's to stop coah loads of Americans wanting to be photographed and getting underfoot grin

InNeedOfBrandy Sat 17-Nov-12 13:32:06

It is a lovely playground but it's not amazing or that different then any other nice playground.

bruffin Sat 17-Nov-12 13:46:46

I didn't set out to there is morning. I dropped my Dd off at Hyde park at 12 and had a few hours to spare so started walking, came across the fountain, then decided to find the playground. Just thought it was a open playground like any other and the gates were to keep the children from running off.
It was the fact that I was seen on ctv and a guard was sent out to tell me to leave that was upsetting.
I didn't come up to see it, just that I was killing time in the area.
Thanks for replies I am to find some lunch.

SoleSource Sat 17-Nov-12 14:20:42

sad

threesocksmorgan Sat 17-Nov-12 14:21:34

wow that is crazy

mumsfretter Sat 17-Nov-12 14:39:19

I actually think it's a great thing that adults are not allowed in without children. It's a playground for children not a tourist attraction.

I am very impressed that someone was actually watching on CCTV as it makes it feel very safe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now