Talk

Advanced search

to wonder how women in their 50s get back out into the world

(5 Posts)
notagainshesaid Sat 17-Nov-12 10:05:24

Just come out of a long relationship - not a bad one -it just fizzled out.

I want to get out more but am not that confident andcan appear aloof due to shyness. And I'm 52.

I look aftermy Dad and have teenage kids so not free as a bird. I work part time but theres just me in th eoffice so no contacts to be found there. I'm ok for money so can afford to do things, but no one to do them with.

I don't want to do internet dating - I'm not wanting to go from one relationship into another -just want to have some enjoyment smile

AIBU to think there must be things out there for me?

SoHHKB Sat 17-Nov-12 10:19:22

What other interests do you have? Can you join a club or go to a class? WHat about volunteering for a couple of hours per week? I am a firm believer in doing things you love and through that finding people you will 'click' with.
Also, I did internet 'dating' but was very clear about what I was looking for. No casual sex or endless online chatting with no intention of meeting up in real life but also nothing too heavy and serious. I made plans quickly with people I got on with - a game of pool in a pub, bowling, cinema - and made sure they knew I was looking for a bit of company for a night out rather than a long-term partner. The sites I used could also be used to look for non-romantic partners as they had a 'just friends' option.
Finally, say yes to every event you are invited to even things that sound really dull You never know who you might meet and keep an eye out for people in a similar situation - they may be looking for company too. GOod luck smile

TheNebulousBoojum Sat 17-Nov-12 10:26:14

Agree with the club or activity, but it depends where you are as to how easy that would be. Friends who have kicked the bastard out have joined gyms, community choirs, art and craft classes, walking groups...

SoleSource Sat 17-Nov-12 10:39:51

Try here smile

www.meetup.com

Have a browse. Start your own club for 50+ people even.

SoleSource Sat 17-Nov-12 10:40:15

www.meetup.com

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now