Talk

Advanced search

is it worth me taking DD back to the doctors again?

(11 Posts)
ditsydoll Fri 16-Nov-12 11:25:33

When they have told me she has a virus?

Poor DD has been sick for almost 2 weeks with a really nasty virus.. started out with a cough, cold and fever for about 6 days. We took her to the gp and ended up at out of hours a few times because her temp had cotton so high.

This week she has just not been herself and has had abit if diarrhea and still won't eat very much at all. She's still having pent of fluids and has managed to eat a ounce if toast today but she has started vomiting.

She will have been poorly for 2 weeks this coming Sunday. Would you take her back to the gp again or just wait dir the virus to go on its own?

CaptainVonTrapp Fri 16-Nov-12 11:26:58

how old is she?

ditsydoll Fri 16-Nov-12 11:27:44

Oh dear, sorry for all of the typos, I'm typing on a phone and I'm hopeless on it.
It should read plenty of fluids and a piece of toast and wait for the virus. Lol sorry

ditsydoll Fri 16-Nov-12 11:28:03

She is 3 1/2

CaptainVonTrapp Fri 16-Nov-12 11:30:37

I would take her back as at 3.5 it is always hard to assess a child yourself as they don't communicate with us like an adult would. Sometimes a virus develops into a bacterial infection eg a viral sore throat becomes an ear infection. At this age I don't think your Dr will mind.

That said, they will probably say "its just a virus..."

smile

ditsydoll Fri 16-Nov-12 11:33:54

I know, I have had hear ears nose and throat checked several times and at this point she has no temperature and doesn't seem ill other than the vomiting.

I just don't want to take her to the gp vomiting if its just the virus...

ClippedPhoenix Fri 16-Nov-12 11:36:39

I'd take her back, that's what they're there for, if only for reassurance it will make you feel much better.

Go and make that appointment OP.

Mondaybaby Fri 16-Nov-12 11:50:58

Take her back. Don't worry about what they might think of you. You are the parent and a parent's instinct is a powerful thing and should be trusted. Call your GP!!!

socharlotte Fri 16-Nov-12 12:27:28

If you feel she's turned the corner and is on the mend i wouldn't bother.If she is no better than she was last week then definitely take her back.

ISeeThreadPeople Fri 16-Nov-12 13:03:24

Lots and lots of dc in dd's class at school have had coughs and colds and caught a vomiting bug on top of it. It's made it all seem ridiculously prolonged. It's probably no more than that BUT if you are worried, if you have new symptoms and you think they're not viral then go and see somebody. They'd always rather you took a child who has 'only a virus' than stay away with a child who has something else.

Anecdotally, last year dd had a virus which presented with fever, cough, cold, lethargy, no appetite etc and the high temp lasted 8 days. I saw a doc twice and a nurse once as I couldn't believe it was 'just' a virus. It was flu and it did take her several weeks to be fully better but it was 'just' a virus albeit a nasty one. And there are nasty ones about atm.

cheekydevil Fri 16-Nov-12 13:32:50

This bug is doing the rounds though. DD and myself were both ill for about 3 weeks.
With DD once she had a whole day of vomiting she was feeling much better within 2 days. She was totally off her food for around a week or so.
Make an appt if you are worried but hopefully she will be better tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now