Talk

Advanced search

7 degrees and no hat or coat on babes in arms

(123 Posts)
orangeflute Fri 16-Nov-12 11:22:04

Why do people do this? A woman just walked past me outside of Tesco with a baby in her arms. Thin sleepsuit - that's it. AIBU to think she should be keeping the poor little love all nice and snuggly?

OnlyWantsOne Fri 16-Nov-12 11:29:48

Yanbu

My baby is in a snuggly bear suite smile

honeytea Fri 16-Nov-12 11:49:28

Maybe she was just walking from the car ot the shop? Wouldn't the baby cry if he/she was cold?

LondonNinja Fri 16-Nov-12 11:52:27

Bet she was in a coat (the mum)? YANBU. It's bloody silly. Babies cannot regulate temperature so may not cry. People's common sense seems all too uncommon.

PrincessSymbian Fri 16-Nov-12 11:52:29

Poor little blighted, far too cold for a baby ( yet to develop ability to regulate own body temp). Saw a women yesterday, had her baby under a blanket but no hat. We loose the most amount of body heat from the top of our heads.

PrincessSymbian Fri 16-Nov-12 11:52:45

Lose!

Spoiltexpatbrat Fri 16-Nov-12 11:53:17

I thought this thread was about me for a minute blush but we are in France so no tesco in sight <phew>

I did just run from the car with my 9 month ds. He has two long sleeve tops on, no coat or hat. He is always so warm so I took his coat off in the car. It would of made him colder to stand about and put it all back on so I just picked him up and jogged the short distance to the house.

I'm presuming she nipped in and lifted him out of the car seat than drag everything in with her. A baby held in mum's arm will be nice and snuggly.

Kendodd Fri 16-Nov-12 11:56:58

She might have only been walking from the heated car, the baby might have been wearing a vest and mum was carrying them, I assume next to her body, not at arms length.

YABU

honeytea Fri 16-Nov-12 11:58:39

I Think babies can feel hot or cold they just can't regulate their temperature. I would be more worried about a hot baby than a possibly cold baby, you don't get ill from being cold and it's not like 7 degrees is dangerously cold.

noisytoys Fri 16-Nov-12 11:59:03

DD (2) never wears hat and gloves she takes them off as soon a I put them on so she looks freezing but no amount of putting them on will get them to stay on sad

thekidsrule Fri 16-Nov-12 11:59:04

its when you see them without socks i get all eye rolling

Whatnowffs Fri 16-Nov-12 11:59:21

YANBU - i saw a couple do this the other day at tesco - young baby, I was frozen, no fucking socks on and blanket absent mindedly thrown over it - i was actually angry DP told me to wind my neck in! I'm not very good at that.

mrskeithrichards Fri 16-Nov-12 12:01:02

7 degrees is a summers day! I dont wear a coat and i will dash from car to shop with my baby in my arms.

dexter73 Fri 16-Nov-12 12:01:20

My dd was a hot child. She would quite happily be in just a t-shirt at 7C but I would get all the judgy looks and the old ladies especially tutting at you. Used to drive me mad.

Chelvis Fri 16-Nov-12 12:02:23

I always wrap 15mo DD up warmly, but if I put a hat on her, she screams and pulls at it until she manages to pull it off, and she has done since 2 or 3 months. What can you do? It's awful not to even put a coat on a baby in this weather though sad

mrskeithrichards Fri 16-Nov-12 12:03:02

Boke at poor little love.

Whatnowffs Fri 16-Nov-12 12:03:06

noisy, you have reminded me of a time i DID say something and nearly got a punch on the nose actually There was a couple? and another woman - GM? with a toddler who was screaming to the point of hysteria in her buggy, she didn't want to wear her hat, the "mother" was bellowing at the child and forcing the hat onto her head, the child was inconsolable - the man and the older woman stood behind LAUGHING!!! i was fuming - i coudlnt help myself i stopped on the other side of the road and stood and stared pointedly, i was asked if i was getting a good eyeful - i just said "she's a little girl" and walked off muttering about how vile they were. Horrible is was.

cheekydevil Fri 16-Nov-12 12:03:20

On the flip side though it must have been about 23 degrees in the shopping center the other day and there was a toddler screaming her lungs out and pleading "Nanny, nanny, nanny". She was wearing a snowsuit on top of clothing visible at the neck, in a stroller with the leg cover thing on and she was drowning in sweat. The mother and Grandmother were completely ignoring her and when someone pointed it out to them that she was overheating the Grandmother shrugged and said "she is just having a tantrum". Was a very distressing situation as I think anyone would be having a bloody tantrum if they were being boiled from the inside of a stroller. sad

Themobstersknife Fri 16-Nov-12 12:03:43

Was worried this was about me but haven't been to Tesco. I often do this when I am dashing out of the car and into school to collect DD1 with DD2 in tow. I check the back of her neck and she is fine. I hate having her in a coat and a hat in the car. Do other people have them all bundled up in the car, or put the coat and hat on just to nip into a shop or whatever? Not being snarky, just asking?

orangeflute Fri 16-Nov-12 12:03:54

Baby was over her arm and didn't looked snuggled into mum as she was laughing and joking whilst getting a trolley.

Anonymumous Fri 16-Nov-12 12:05:44

Apparently the theory about losing most of your heat through your head is a load of old bunkum.

www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/dec/17/medicalresearch-humanbehaviour

mrskeithrichards Fri 16-Nov-12 12:06:35

Was mum smoking¿

PinkPepper Fri 16-Nov-12 12:07:59

People sometimes say my baby must be cold. He isn't. If I'm holding him I can feel how hot/cold he is. I'm sure he'd let me know if he was too cold, and even then I'd rather that than him be too hot. Especially if I've got him in the sling. My body keeps him far warmer than any layers. He's too hot in a hat and when it's warmer - he sometimes has bare feet!

ToffeeCaramel Fri 16-Nov-12 12:09:22

The story about the overheating toddler is worse. sad At least the baby would only have been cold for about a minute if it was warm in the shop.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now