Talk

Advanced search

To think being conscious before 8am is not inherently good?

(58 Posts)
ThinkAboutItTomorrow Fri 16-Nov-12 09:37:02

I am not a morning person. I have absolutely nothing against morning people, in fact i am jealous of them and wish i was one. But i'm not.

Is it unreasonable to find it deeply annoying when people (I mean you two PIL!) make out there is something morally good about getting up early?

"We were up with the larks", "early to bed, early to rise!" etc...

Fine, if you get up early to get loads of jobs out of the way so you can have fun / relax the rest of the day, you have every right to mild smugness. But it is the act of getting stuff done that is good NOT the fact you are conscious.

Geting up early to sit and enjoy the peace and quiet. Fine, good for you. But not good, in itself. i prefer to enjoy the peace and quiet whilst snug in bed thank you

Being "up with the larks" in order to sit and drink 10 cups of tea and do the crossword does not make you "very good". It especially does not give you the right to look at me like I am a lazy cow. You sat and drank tea, i got some much needed kip. Neither of us actually got anything done and i am at least dressed whilst you are STILL in your pyjamas

And by the way DD decided it was morning at 5am so technically I was up before you and just went back for a nap. Grrr.

For what it's worth i think the opposite, where people make out going to bed early is boring, is just as annoying.

AIBU?

GentlemanThief Fri 16-Nov-12 09:45:53

YANBU in that you have DCs and therefore every moment of sleep is precious. I expect your PIL have forgotten this about their own childrearing days.

However, I think it is true to say that the majority of the world's uber successful people are very early risers.

Personally, I like to feel that I have a head start on the day and therefore have carved out more time to drink tea and generally smell the roses, so to speak. I also do at least an hour of exercise a day which I manage to fit in by getting up early. I am, however, utterly useless after about 9pm.

Popumpkin Fri 16-Nov-12 09:50:48

YANBU! I have this debate with DH regularly. He is a morning person, so will always get up at around 7am but then goes to bed around 10-10.30pm. I, on the other hand, am at my best later in the day grin and would rather stay up later getting things done & then get up that bit later in the morning.

In terms of hours asleep in bed, I generally have about one hour less sleep each night than DH - but because I don't choose to jump out of bed all bright eyed and bushy tailed at dawn I am somehow the lazy one hmm.

Notquite Fri 16-Nov-12 09:51:45

I suspect the massive over-achievers just don't sleep much at either end of the day.

Getting up early is bad (very bad!) in a toddler, good in a teenager and handy for most adults because of the traditional working day. Being a lark by nature isn't a sign of moral superiority though.

ThinkAboutItTomorrow Fri 16-Nov-12 09:55:16

I think the real high flyers probably burn the candle at both ends, networking etc in the evening

Mind you it depends how you define success, i've always suspected creative types of sharing my dislike of dawn.

PIL are retired and MIL actually said the other day, 'yes, we were quite busy, we went to Boots'. Guess we define busy a bit differently.....

Fair dues though, she raised 4 kids so deserves a few years off for good behaviour!

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 16-Nov-12 09:56:01

YABU... 8am isn't particularly early.

Trills Fri 16-Nov-12 09:57:38

You are right that some people seem to think there is a moral superiority in being up early.

Trills Fri 16-Nov-12 09:58:46

Staying in bed is only "wasting the day" if there are things yo could be doing that you value more highly than staying in bed.

I don't see staying in bed as a waste, it is the thing that I want to do.

ThinkAboutItTomorrow Fri 16-Nov-12 09:59:40

cogito true, it's not early, but then neither is it particularly late. Not late enough to garner supercilious looks anyway.

freddiefrog Fri 16-Nov-12 10:02:09

YANBU

I'm a night owl, I work best late at night. I can't sleep even if l do go to bed before midnight.

I've always been that way

I'm not lacking in morals or in someway inferior to early birds

Trills Fri 16-Nov-12 10:03:46

I am not especially a night owl.

Or a morning person.

I do like my sleep. It made me a very easy baby, if that helps at all...

wanderingalbatross Fri 16-Nov-12 10:03:58

I am not a morning person either, I like to get my jobs done in the evening so I can go to bed relaxed knowing I don't have to get up early to get anything done. At least I would, except that I now have a toddler. I am training her to be an evening person too!

DH is a morning person and likes to get up way before I think is remotely sensible. He is rubbish in the evenings though.

YANBU!! IN our house (pre kids) we had 3 rules and one of them was no getting up before 8am!! smile

stubbornstains Fri 16-Nov-12 10:09:21

I too take enormous offence at the way we late risers are ground under the jackboot of societal expectation. ("Society" in this case mostly being represented by my toddler angry)

Sparklingbrook Fri 16-Nov-12 10:13:08

My parents do that. They get up at 6.30am every morning for no reason at all other than to go and buy a newspaper. grin

They are in their seventies and Dad has always been one that doesn't like to 'waste the day'. They don't understand having a lie in at all.

scarletforya Fri 16-Nov-12 10:16:09

YANBU

I agree with every word you said! I am a sleep monster. Deliberately depriving yourself ofn sleep and then expecting others to be impressed by it is so pointless.

What do they expect people to say 'You got up early, here's a medal for you!' (ye big eejit) grin

kdiddy Fri 16-Nov-12 10:16:29

YANBU. I see just as much of the day as an early riser, it just tends to me later at night. I like to think of it as getting a head start on the next day...

Pre-DS, of course. It has killed me to have zero lie-ins for nearly a year...

kdiddy Fri 16-Nov-12 10:17:11

PS I do love my sleep. I should put it as a key skill on my CV ...

BelleDameSousMistletoe Fri 16-Nov-12 10:19:05

YANBU at all.

A friend once bought me a card with "You say lazy like it's a bad thing." on it. grin

For Christmas last year all I really wanted was a lie in. A proper one. No interruptions other than a cup of tea and a bacon sandwich until noon. Didn't get it. May ask for same this year.

I am an early riser but I do know exactly what you mean! You don't get the opposite either - somehow going to bed at 9 is still somehow seen as morally superior to staying up for another 3 hours getting jobs done.

DawnOfTheDee Fri 16-Nov-12 10:20:14

YANBU. My PIL's sometimes use the phrases you describe - especially when we're on holiday with them a.k.a. prime lie in time.

I always want to shake them awake at 1 in the morning trilling "What are you lazy bones doing in bed?! You're missing the best part of the night!", toot a party popper in their face then run off to get another cocktail grin

D0oinMeCleanin Fri 16-Nov-12 10:20:37

There's an 8am? [comfused]

stubbornstains Fri 16-Nov-12 10:21:08

<clings to kdiddy and weeps in sympathy>

ThinkAboutItTomorrow Fri 16-Nov-12 10:23:59

dawn dare ya. Double dare ya!

GoldPlatedNineDoors Fri 16-Nov-12 10:24:18

Couple of friends moan that their teenagers dont get up before lunch and when I ask then what said teenagers should be doing before lunch they look all confused and say "nothing" .... Right, so just let them sleep. Just because you like to be up then doesn not make you grand master of all decisions in life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now