Talk

Advanced search

How much do you worry about food?

(20 Posts)
ThatBastardSanta Fri 16-Nov-12 08:20:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CailinDana Fri 16-Nov-12 08:29:58

Yup I'm a flobbler grin. I feel quite sorry for children growing up these days. It's sad to see children being fed crap and ending up obese but it's also sad to see children who can't just enjoy food and who are jumped on about everything. I do try to make sure my DS has plenty of vegetables (he would eat fruit all day every day if he could) but beyond that it's just whatever's on offer/whatever's in the cupboard.

YesThisTime Fri 16-Nov-12 08:30:35

No I'm exactly the same as you. Cook most stuff from scratch but really don't obsess about every little thing. DS is also a bit of a fruit and veg dodger so Im probably even worse than you! It drives me nuts when my sis-in-law gets in a tizz about DN having an extra slice of toast "because she's had her salt allowance for today". I don't know who is right or wrong, but DS and DN both seem healthy enough.

Splinters Fri 16-Nov-12 08:37:09

Oh goodness me. I am healthy enough, and I certainly never had my salt allowances calculated! I won't be adding salt to my baby's food, and will probably start adding my own in the kitchen rather than in front of everyone at the table, but the thought of teaching a child to obsessively count up foodstuffs, when there's no serious medical reason to, seems absolutely miserable. I will also try never to draw attention to my own diet/physique in front of my children..

ThePerfectFather Fri 16-Nov-12 08:37:16

DW is obsessed with salt intake and various other guidelines but my approach is that if they'll eat it, and they haven't already had it that day, it's going on the plate.

Our trip to the dentist involved me being lectured about how I should only give chocolate once a WEEK. I think guidelines generally come down on the side of the Nazis, because they assume you're going to ignore them a bit anyway. I mean honestly, 10 units of booze a week? Does ANYBODY here stick to that?!

BunnyLeBOOwski Fri 16-Nov-12 08:39:58

I'm fairly laid back about DD's food (90% fresh and homemade, 10% fish fingers and spaghetti hoops) but would never give her that Krave shite.

It's basically sweets you pour milk over. Yack.

Sounds like your sister has ishoos with food and projects it onto others. There is someone like that in my close family. Most irritating.

BadgersBottom Fri 16-Nov-12 08:47:54

I agree with Bunny - really no food hang ups here and I'm quite relaxed about sometimes using freezer food/takeaway/ready meals. Sometimes. Not often but they're not banned - only because I love to cook and most things are from scratch. BUT breakfast cereals are just a big no no - do yourself a favour and check out the sugar content of this stuff then do some research. This is DM link grin but interesting nonetheless Sugar

InNeedOfBrandy Fri 16-Nov-12 08:51:59

I'm with you op I even buy them coco pops shock they have over and above their 5 a day and at least 5 days have home cooked food and I have no clue how much salt they have a day.

nellyjelly Fri 16-Nov-12 08:59:03

Before I had my kids I thought it would be organic veggie casseroles and fresh fruit for my family. Ha ha. A combination of fussy kids and lack of time mean my children eat a rota of; (organic) sausage, mash, macaroni cheese, fish fingers, beans, spaghetti hoops, pasta and tomato sauce, cheese on toast, pizza ( home made), hummus, peanut butter sandwiches, boiled eggs, yoghurts plus biscuits, crisps and sweets - but not every day.

They also have brocolli and carrots with most meals as they like them and DD will eat baby tomatoes and peppers. Satsumas also popular.

Overall it's not a great diet but it's not awful.

JollyJock Fri 16-Nov-12 09:00:08

I do worry about salt, but less so now Ds is past one. And I have an almost irrational disagreement with chocolate breakfast cereals. But apart from that I'm not too bad. I cook from scratch 6 days a week. And we have freezer food the other day. We have take away about once a month, maybe less.

We were nearly eating this healthily before Ds. The only real change is that I used to use jar sauces and now I make my own. My curries are much nicer than bought ones though.

Trills Fri 16-Nov-12 09:01:33

WHy would anyone take the breadcrumbs off fish fingers? That's the best part!

Tryharder Fri 16-Nov-12 09:02:40

I was a health food freak with DS1. I am more relaxed now 3 kids later.

I dont worry about food at all really. I provide healthy-ish meals about 75% of the time and the rest of time they eat things that arent so "healthy".

I add salt to food as well. <bad mother>

ThatBastardSanta Fri 16-Nov-12 09:40:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

squeakytoy Fri 16-Nov-12 09:45:03

You sound refreshingly normal OP. grin

MummyPig24 Fri 16-Nov-12 10:02:18

I don't tend to worry much. I cook from scratch about 5 times a week too. The other days its fishfingers or beans on toast. The kids eat a mixture of healthy cereals and not so healthy. Probably buy one box of not so great cereal once every few months and once its gone its gone. They eat plenty of fruit and veg, are not over weight and are active. I don't wish to create food issues with the children so its all just food. They get chocolate or cake most days and crisps infrequently because I don't eat them so don't buy them.

freddiefrog Fri 16-Nov-12 10:07:47

Everything in moderation in our house.

On the whole our diet is quite good, I love cooking and baking so most of what we eat is cooked or baked from scratch so I'm quite laid back about the rest of their diet.

DialMforMummy Fri 16-Nov-12 10:39:40

I worry way too much. So much banging on about the 5 day, obesity etc... makes me worry.
However, I don't go mental controlling DC's food. He has cakes and other treats (chips, biscuits) occasionally too because I really think that we should teach our children that food is a source of pleasure. He never has crisps (I hate the stuff anyway, never eat any), he tried some once and puked them all out!
It is not helpful that my dad told me the other day that he thought I overfed my kids. Neither are overweight and he sees them once a year or so.... confused
Food is such a source of guilt for parents. I feel that we are constantly judged by others over it, and it start with the good old ff/bf battle.

Mimstar Fri 16-Nov-12 10:53:49

I am laid back about food in general, but I was very strict about salt content when DD was younger. Just because it can be really dangerous for babies to have too much, so I'm afraid I was the mum who knew how much salt was on a peace of toast and I did add it up throughout the day.

DD's favourites are things like pasta bake, spaghetti and meatballs, shephards pie - so it's easy for me to sneak bits of veg in, as she won't generally eat veg if it's as a side on her plate. In spag bol though, she doesn't realise.

I don't allow chocolate cereal as a breakfast, but we do have a cupboard full of variety packs and Krave because my FIL works at Kellogs! DD will happily have a bowl of krave as a treat snack.

Don't get me wrong though, I have a well stocked freezer and there are days when we get in and I'm knackred so she'll have frozen fish fingers with frozen yorkshire puds and beans! Or even that disgusing Heinz macaroni, she bloody loves it.

I'm not fussed about her having sweets etc just obvs not every day! Everything in moderation.

Mimstar Fri 16-Nov-12 10:54:43

Piece, piece of toast. And I am a writer...

grumpyinthemornings Fri 16-Nov-12 13:07:04

DS eats chocolate cereal for breakfast...along with a banana or apple, or a handful of grapes. A healthy diet is one that satisfies you until the next meal, without making you feel overly full, IMO. But then I can't stand cooking, so we live out of the freezer...oh the horror grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now