Talk

Advanced search

ASDA Xmas gift catalogue 'Stocking fillers'

(32 Posts)
SilkStalkings Thu 15-Nov-12 21:01:53

I let my kid go through the catalogue marking what they'd like (let them dream.) then I saw the section of under £5 gifts was titled Stocking Fillers.
Makes me feel that my children and I are despised by a company. Have seen signs in shop windows before too.

numbum Thu 15-Nov-12 21:05:58

confused

MikeLitoris Thu 15-Nov-12 21:07:26

Eh?

Sparklingbrook Thu 15-Nov-12 21:08:52

confused

HappyTurquoise Thu 15-Nov-12 21:09:32

Agree, Silks, it is terrible that gifts under £5 are marketed like that, as if they are one - use and then thrown away, or not worth wrapping up.

SantasComingFace Thu 15-Nov-12 21:10:22

You mean about 5 pounds being alot for a SF?

LineRunner Thu 15-Nov-12 21:10:57

I think the OP means that she can afford these gifts as main presents, but to Asda they are mere 'stocking fillers', and she needs to spend more. And more.

DameMargotFountain Thu 15-Nov-12 21:10:57

or is it why would YOU need a catalogue for stocking fillers when they are filled by Father Christmas?

purrpurr Thu 15-Nov-12 21:11:07

Looking through the Asda Christmas Gift Catalogue is a dream? I thought Argos had the market well and truly covered with their laminated book of dreams? There's more?

Pippinintherain Thu 15-Nov-12 21:11:22

You what now?

iklboo Thu 15-Nov-12 21:11:28

I don't think that about stocking fillers. I think fun gift & someone's thought about me enough to buy it for me.

RedZombie Thu 15-Nov-12 21:12:12

confused. Why?

SilkStalkings Thu 15-Nov-12 21:14:35

Who fills the stocking? Santa. He doesn't need to be advertised at does he? Otherwise, wtf do we go to the bother of pretending if shops can't be arsed to go along with it, just blow the fantasy out of the water.

SilkStalkings Thu 15-Nov-12 21:17:13

To clarify, am not bothered about prices. And going through any catalogue is a dream for kids, great way of keeping them quiet for a bitgrin.

usualsuspect3 Thu 15-Nov-12 21:20:01

The catalogue is aimed at adults though, not children.

missmapp Thu 15-Nov-12 21:20:11

What do you mean then OP, why are you and your kids despised??

I was annoyed by the same page, but only because ds1 ( 7) asked why F.C would need a page in the catalogue- I want to keep the magic alive for aslong as possible .

LineRunner Thu 15-Nov-12 21:20:38

Ah, I see.

picnicbasketcase Thu 15-Nov-12 21:20:46

I understood it - I've seen signs in shops saying that, I remember DS when he was smaller asking why they needed to be for sale when Santa fills the stockings. No need of it really, the people buying them can make up their own minds whether they are small gifts, or gifts for stockings, or whatever.

lubeybooby Thu 15-Nov-12 21:21:29

You need to get creative with your explanations about santa...

usualsuspect3 Thu 15-Nov-12 21:22:47

My kids never had stockings anyway, they had a pillowcase grin

Now if it had said 'pillowcase fillers' I might be a bit hmm

MikeLitoris Thu 15-Nov-12 21:25:19

But santa doesnt fill my dcs stockings.

They had presents under the tree instead.
I just used to say that the adverts were for the dc to get an idea of what they liked so they could write to santa.

Shaky Thu 15-Nov-12 21:31:07

My ds loves the "books of dreams" ie Argos catalogue etc.
We just look at it together and talk about what he sees and what he likes. He loves to point out toys he's got and things he'd like eg a pool table. He is almost 3 and can't read yet obviously but just likes to look and talk about the pictures.

I see no reason to take anything in these catalogues personally. Life is too short!

WelshMaenad Thu 15-Nov-12 21:36:52

Santa doesn't fund anything in our house. Stockings are from mum and dad. Gifts are from who they are from. We send it all off to him and he brings it on Xmas eve, like an enchanted UPS delivery driver.

So YABU for assuming everyone does Xmas like you do.

SilkStalkings Fri 16-Nov-12 19:15:43

It just seems so cold and greedy as a marketing ploy. Why do shops bother with anything Santa-esque if they're simultaneously telling kids 'it's your parents really.' Hence feeling despised. (But I also feel despised in Aldi with their more-security-than-tills, racing-checkout-jockeys, take-your-trolley-over-there-to-pack-it, give-me-the-money-and-fuck-off Theory of customer service.)

mrscumberbatch Fri 16-Nov-12 19:19:24

So, shops should hide all toys and gifts in case kids realise they aren't from Santa?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now