Talk

Advanced search

Baby weight

(13 Posts)
HtotheS Thu 15-Nov-12 18:19:50

My little girl is 15 months now and I still have a massive belly and 'overhang' of stomach.

Straight after the birth my belly went straight down but then I became ill and had to go onto medication that made me gain weight especially around my stomach.

I don't exercise other than walking a lot. Any ideas? AIBU to be being petty and worrying about it?

FernandoIsFaster Thu 15-Nov-12 18:24:50

YANBU for worrying about it but nothing much about it is going to change unless you exercise!

HtotheS Thu 15-Nov-12 18:27:57

Anyone know what type of things I could be doing? Yes I am genuinely clueless!

FernandoIsFaster Thu 15-Nov-12 18:33:03

Have you heard of Couch to 5k? Google it and you should be able to find programmes, podcasts etc. It's a running programme designed to get you from being a non-runner to doing 5k distance. People rave about it and there are threads in the sport and exercise section.

Swimming is good if you aren't used to any exercise as you can start gently.

DilysPrice Thu 15-Nov-12 18:33:56

How old are you and how generally overweight are you?

If in generally good health then I'd say Couch to 5K or Jillian Michael's Shred DVD.

amothersplaceisinthewrong Thu 15-Nov-12 18:34:42

I don't think excercise alone will make you lose weight - you will need to cut down on food as well. Swimming is great.

KitCat26 Thu 15-Nov-12 18:36:41

I'll third Couch to 5k.

KitCat26 Thu 15-Nov-12 18:37:53

Oh and My Fitness Pal. I combined the two and am well on my way to getting back to pre kids weight.

Cortana Thu 15-Nov-12 18:49:27

Another one for couch to 5k.
Stick at it and you'll get there.
Good luck.

ihavenofuckingclue Thu 15-Nov-12 19:07:19

You can work out all you want but a healthy body (and nice flat tummy) is mainly down to food. You can not out exercise a bad diet.

kettle bell classes did wonders for my stomach 8 years after having dd. Its great because you just start with very light weights and work your way up as you get stronger and fitter.

Cardio is great for burning calories but you want to do interval training instead of just running at a constant pace. Google interval training.

Also weight are an excellent calorie burner. You continue to burn calories long after finishing while you body repairs the muscle, which is how it grows. Also the more muscle you have the more calories you will burn in general.

There is a really good website called nerd fitness that has some great tips.

BikeRunSki Thu 15-Nov-12 19:10:08

DD is 13 months old. It was pregnancy that made me put on weight - in fact I had hyperemisis and lost weight - it was recovering from a crash section and not being able to stand up straight for 9 weeks whilst eating cake.

I am combining Slimming World and Couch to 5k, and am 1 stone 3 pounds lighter than I was 7 weeks ago. Stomach is OK, but tbh, after 2 emcs I am not sure it'll ever be that good again.

Flumpyflumps Thu 15-Nov-12 19:16:12

I will put my two penneth in and suggest davina mcalls dvd's.
They are all good and mean the public don't see you doing it til confidence has increased a bit. If your anything like me the thought of anyone else seeing my attempts was horrific.

MoleyMick Thu 15-Nov-12 19:17:09

Agree it's mainly diet for stomach but Pilates is fantastic for tightening stomach muscles and making your core a bit firmer smile I've only been doing it six weeks or so, from some DVDs I bought cheaply on eBay, and already noticed a difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now