Talk

Advanced search

To trust MN vipers more than NHS direct?

(20 Posts)
WelshMaenad Thu 15-Nov-12 17:56:15

Dd, 6, has just gone arse over tit down the stairs carrying a pile of books. She's not a fuss maker, but she is really complaining about pain in her thumb. She howled when she had to push her hand through a jumper sleeve.

It's a little swollen, and definitely showing signs if starting to bruise, but she can bend it (though data it hurts a lot). I've got it wrapped in ice but she is still whimpering a bit 30 minutes on.

A&E, or am I being a drama queen? I don't think it's broken because she can bend it but I'm not an orthopaedic surgeon, yunno?

WelshMaenad Thu 15-Nov-12 17:56:53

Says, not data!

Pascha Thu 15-Nov-12 17:57:28

A&E. Only an xray can rule out a fracture.

gymboywalton Thu 15-Nov-12 17:57:58

a and e

my son could bend his fingers when he broke his wrist

BadgersBottom Thu 15-Nov-12 17:58:34

Did she bend it backwards? I expect that's what happened in which case it's probably not broken. Hmmmm - can thumbs dislocate? I don't know - if it's that painful I'd probably A & E it - depends really - how hard is it for you to get there?

Olympicrock Thu 15-Nov-12 17:58:40

Do you have a minor injury unit near you? They are usually much quicker

mumblechum1 Thu 15-Nov-12 17:59:13

I'd strap it up just for tonight, ie bandage it to the rest of her hand so it doesn't keep catching when she's moving around in her sleep, and see how she is tomorrow. Give her plenty of painkillers.

DS has had those sort of injuries through karate loads of times and I've always diligently sat in A&E for hours while they x ray it etc and it's never fractured, just badly bruised/strained and they do what I recommended in my first para.

Littleblue Thu 15-Nov-12 17:59:24

It could be cracked or dislocated... id get up to casualty..

YDdraigGoch Thu 15-Nov-12 17:59:30

I'd go to A&E, but probably wait and see how it is in the morning tbh nothing worse than hanging round in A&E in the evening. Has calpol helped?

valiumredhead Thu 15-Nov-12 17:59:46

I am in the 'wait until the morning' school of mothering.

MrsMangoBiscuit Thu 15-Nov-12 18:01:06

You can still bend them when they're broken, don't think it's advisable though. That said, I stipped once taking a tin out of the oven, and bruised a joint in my hand. The pain was immense, I couldn't belief it hurt so much, and so suddenly, it wasn't even a proper whack. Was right as rain a few days later.

valiumredhead Thu 15-Nov-12 18:01:35

Bag of frozen peas to help the pain/swelling.

TheLightPassenger Thu 15-Nov-12 18:02:08

I've always found NHS Direct helpful and realistic, don't think I have ever been told to go to A & E by them! I wouldn't wait overnight, would only give it an hour or so to see if any improvement in pain levels.

SantyClaws Thu 15-Nov-12 18:03:52

DH bent his thumb back skiing and didn't go to hospital coz he didn't want to be told not to ski

He ended up going when he got back from hols and got a telling off and had it in a cast for 8 weeks. They call it gamekeeper's thumb - they get it from repeated shotgun recoils.

i'd get it looked at if i were you

WelshMaenad Thu 15-Nov-12 18:10:01

DH will be home in ten minutes and its no bother to drive her up. No minor injuries clinics open at this time but they have a dedicated kids a&e at our local hospital so a nicer experience and usually seen quickly.

Think I'll take her when DH gets in, he can stay with DS.

OldCatLady Thu 15-Nov-12 18:10:54

I broke my arm when I was 4, and didnt tell anyone for 3 days because I had been naughty and was stealing cookies out the jar cliche I know and fell off a step....therefore I've always been of th assumption that breaks dont always hurt as much as people say. Go to A&E, just in case.

WelshMaenad Thu 15-Nov-12 18:11:19

And thank you!

SantasStrapOn Thu 15-Nov-12 18:13:57

I'm glad you're going to A&E, I broke a bone in my hand when I was a teenager, and I still had full use of my hand, it just hurt like hell and blew up like a purple balloon.

Hope she's ok, and it's just bruised.

VivaLeBeaver Thu 15-Nov-12 18:20:46

Yep, my dd could move her finger when it was broken. Brushing and swelling so soon after is indicative of a fracture. Hope she's ok.

WelshMaenad Thu 15-Nov-12 18:34:00

Ha - change of plan! DH came home and clapped in delight. Methinks someone has been milking the hurty thumb...

He's a first aider, had a look, and amended plan to Calpol and check in the morning.

Thank you all for the handholding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now