Talk

Advanced search

To not want to choose my glasses online?

(14 Posts)
Kethryveris Thu 15-Nov-12 17:05:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

scurryfunge Thu 15-Nov-12 17:06:44

Can you try pairs on in a shop and then go home and order them on line.

CajaDeLaMemoria Thu 15-Nov-12 17:06:46

Couldn't you go to a shop, find some you like, note down the frame number and then order them online?

I've never known anyone to just buy them online without seeing them "in the flesh" first.

But it does depend on what you like, because some brands are exclusive, and some are just no cheaper online.

Bubblemoon Thu 15-Nov-12 17:07:14

Could you find a pair you like in the optician, get the model number and try to get them cheaper on line?

StuntGirl Thu 15-Nov-12 17:07:21

I can see his point about the cost but the fact is you need to feel comfortable in them. Could you try some on in the shops and then see if that pair is available online perhaps?

Bubblemoon Thu 15-Nov-12 17:07:55

Yep, we all agree on that then.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Thu 15-Nov-12 17:08:10

The online shop we used for DS allowed him to try on frames at home.

RedToothbrush Thu 15-Nov-12 17:18:41

If you asked him to put a price on his level of confidence what would he say?

Glasses aren't like any other form of clothes, they are so integral for your appearance and its very common that you wear them all the time. If you get it wrong, it can affect your self asteem and confidence.

So its important that you feel comfortable and confident. Its not up to him to be putting a price tag on it, for the sake of few quid here and there if its not going to see you on the streets or starving. Its an important purchase and decision (and one I personally would put on the next level below house and car). Its not like you haven't worn the current pair to death for 5 years is it?

He's being a tight fisted twat.

SecretSquirrels Thu 15-Nov-12 17:24:38

But you can get really cheap glasses on line. I have the rip off expensive optician ones that I have chosen in store but I also have about 15 other pairs that I have got from places like here. Some similar to thesefor as little as £5. Okay they might not have a fashionable label but they are fun.

MonkeyRisotto Thu 15-Nov-12 17:53:36

I bought my last pair online, after first finding some in an opticians, then finding that they didn't stock them any more, then finding 2 online retailers, and using the cheapest to get the price down on the more reputable looking

Cost me £50 all in, instead of the £189 that the high street optician wanted, and they are the sharpest, most comfortable pair I've ever owned.

Kethryveris Thu 15-Nov-12 18:02:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WakeyCakey Thu 15-Nov-12 18:32:00

Go to an opticians, most people only have to go every 2 years and they are your eyes don't take them for granted.

Measurements are taken to make your glasses up and those are really important in terms of your vision.
These measurements aren't given out by opticians to you because if you are buying them online you are taking all responsibility of them being made wrong,

People should really take better care of their eyes. Take this from someone who has a high prescription and works in an opticians!! go see someone as even the assistants in the shops have a lot more training than yourself and therefore can take accurate measurements in order to keep your eyes SAFE!

FryOneFatManic Thu 15-Nov-12 19:18:04

Your DH needs to remember that it's all in the measurements.

There are different arm lengths, different nose bridge gaps, different sizes on the lenses, and so on.

I did get a comfortable pair online, but I looked at the measurements of the pair of glasses I felt most comfortable in. If you look down the side of one arm of your glasses you will see something like a brand name, model number and one number that is the size of the frame. This is usually two numbers separated by a square,followed by a hyphen and a third number. On mine this is 51 [square] 15-135. This means the lense is 51mm across, the gap across your nose is 15mm and the length of the arm is 135mm.

The online retailers I've looked at have all given measurements for you to see. Some of them will send some frames for you to try at home before making a purchase.

Freshbloodletticia Thu 15-Nov-12 19:30:35

Glasses Direct have a thing where you can order frames to try on at home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now