Talk

Advanced search

To get a real Christmas tree with a toddler?

(30 Posts)
newmummytobe79 Thu 15-Nov-12 15:44:11

Fake or real ... there is a chance it will get pulled over!

And surely the needles/lovely smelling pine cones being eaten is classed as one of your 5 a day? grin

Dead69Girl Thu 15-Nov-12 15:49:16

REAL we always had a real one when my son was a toddler

freddiefrog Thu 15-Nov-12 15:51:20

We always had real until I realised I was allergic to them. They never got pulled over by the kids. The cats yes, no problems with the kids

VirginiaDare Thu 15-Nov-12 16:05:20

I don't think they give away free toddlers with christmas trees.

MerylStrop Thu 15-Nov-12 16:06:44

Big real tree non-negotiable in our house.

3 kids, youngest now 2.5. No incidents

StuntGirl Thu 15-Nov-12 16:06:58

Virginia grin

anklebitersmum Thu 15-Nov-12 16:08:53

REAL!
We've always had real, even when there were two toddlers and a puppy, just changed the baubles to shatterproof and hoisted the tree choccies up a few branches.

Cantbelieveitsnotbutter Thu 15-Nov-12 16:16:14

I always have a real one, Sons nearly 4

Icelollycraving Thu 15-Nov-12 16:17:15

Interested in this actually. Dh has told me no tree this year,the mad fool said until ds is 4,he will be 18 months at Christmas. We have recently had to start moving a lot of stuff as he is so strong & like a baby bull in a china shop.

TeWiDoesTheHulaInHawaii Thu 15-Nov-12 16:19:15

Children and trees is usually fine!

The cat was a completely different story...

PickledFanjoCat Thu 15-Nov-12 16:20:03

I was wondering too. Ds pulls most things over but I want a tree! Was thinking of a mini real one to hedge bets.

I will forgo the free toddler though!

KellyEllyChristmasBelly Thu 15-Nov-12 16:21:18

Real. DD loved ours (had one every year since she was born) and it and it smells lovely!

AmberSocks Thu 15-Nov-12 16:22:13

We have had real and it was fine,it was the decorations they kept on messing with that annoyed me!Plus the non drop ones dont drop much.

anklebitersmum Thu 15-Nov-12 16:27:21

Thought I'd add that we have 4 DC's and there's never been a falling over incident with the tree (usually at least 6ft) and the Norways don't drop much.

higgle Thu 15-Nov-12 16:27:42

We have always had a real Christmas tree. When the children were younger they were so awe struck no real chance they would pull it over. Greedy dogs too interested in the chocolate decorations are another matter!

worldgonecrazy Thu 15-Nov-12 16:28:23

If you're worried, just tie the top of the tree to a curtain pole or picture rail. Problem solved. This solution has worked for us, our cats are always trying to climb up.

NeedToSleepZZZ Thu 15-Nov-12 16:32:01

Excellent idea worldgonecrazy, I always have a real tree but have been fretting about it this year now that ds is 21 months and apparently in training for the SAS. Thank you!

Pandemoniaa Thu 15-Nov-12 16:33:38

We always had a real tree. We used to cement it down put it somewhere that was difficult to pull over but actually, even when toddling, the dcs were so fascinated by the decorated tree that they tended to leave it alone. Other than putting the occasional, very peculiar additional decorations on it.

BartimaeusNeedsMoreSleep Thu 15-Nov-12 16:35:37

I was wondering this too. I love real trees (the smell!) but DS will be 15 months and is everywhere.

He is still putting lots of things in his mouth too so I'm worried he might eat pine needles...

I dunno. DH and my parents (who look after DS in our house) all said real tree, but when I pointed out it would mean watching DS even more than we do now they all capitulated!

Guess I'll wait and see if I can resist a real one...

PickledFanjoCat Thu 15-Nov-12 16:37:37

Maybe we should dress the little blighters as fairies and stick them on the top for the duration grin

NeedToSleepZZZ Thu 15-Nov-12 16:39:11

grin Pickledfanjo, at least their nappies would cushion them from the needles.

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Thu 15-Nov-12 16:41:01

My MIL told me I was mean for getting a real tree when my dd was 10mo (think of her poor little hands!) But she was fine, that year and the following one. A real tree is non-negotiable as far as I'm concerned.

Pulled baubles off all the time of course!

Mousefunk Thu 15-Nov-12 17:28:04

We get a 7ft Norway Spruce. Last year had a toddler and newly crawling baby, neither went near, they just weren't arsed. Oh and it rarely dropped any needles.. A real tree is non-negotiable for me. MMM the smell.

SecretSquirrels Thu 15-Nov-12 17:29:37

It has been a family tradition since DCs were toddlers. We go to choose and buy the tree, then jam it in the car so they are sat with pine needles in their ears, and bring it home with them "helping".
DS1 is almost 17 and last year I tried to persuade them to have an artificial tree (not least because we had a new kitten).

You would have thought I had cancelled Christmas. At least he does the actual carrying now grin

Petershadow Thu 15-Nov-12 17:33:47

We had a smaller one and put it on the sideboard

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now