Talk

Advanced search

To be pissed off with Ebay seller? Why are people dishonest?

(15 Posts)
MrsCantSayAnything Thu 15-Nov-12 12:18:46

Bought some Grey Blowfish boots from a person on Ebay. They're sort of canvass/denim effect boots for those who don't know them. She put that they had been worn once. In the pic they looked perfect and she had good feedback so I bid and paid 19 for them.

They just came and one boot has a big white water stain on the side that was facing away from the camera.

WHY would she do this? Surely she knows I will demand a refund? And I am going to be out of pocket for the postage too!

I will be leaving shitty feedback for this and hope she learns.

I don't understand why people are dishonest like this?

Icelollycraving Thu 15-Nov-12 12:22:03

Probably because they are chancing their arm that you won't be arsed to pay for them to go back.

MrsCantSayAnything Thu 15-Nov-12 12:23:31

But f someone is buying 2nd hand boots then they bloody well will go for a refund wont they? Ill have to send them special delivery too so she can't say she never got them.

Icelollycraving Thu 15-Nov-12 12:25:23

I can understand what you are saying,I'm saying she's a chancer.

LadySybilPussPolham Thu 15-Nov-12 12:26:16

That's eBay for you unfortunately

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Thu 15-Nov-12 12:28:26

It's £19 - you're covered up to £36 with the Royal Mail. You can leave whatever feedback you want whichever way you send them.

I would go back to her first though and tell her about the water stain - give her a chance to appease you.

Olympicrock Thu 15-Nov-12 12:45:07

Lovely new buggy. Tyres gone flat after 1 use. Blimin annoying.

MrsCantSayAnything Thu 15-Nov-12 12:50:19

Lying unless she is blind, she already knows about the stain and really...if you were blind, you'd get someone to check wouldn't you!

She can refund half the price and I'd try to wash the stain out but otherwise, I wont have them.

itsatrap Thu 15-Nov-12 15:08:11

I have had a similar experience, I demanded the seller cover cost of returning the item. Hope you get it sorted, stuff like this really bugs the crap out of me!

FermezLaBouche Thu 15-Nov-12 15:10:27

This is why prefer Gumtree to Ebay - ok it's not on such a massive scale so what you want isn't always available, but at least you meet up with the seller and check out the item before handing over the cash.

sweetheart Thu 15-Nov-12 15:13:26

I'm pretty careful, especially around Christmas time with any Ebay purchases. last year I brough my son a designer jumper which never arrived. I claimed my money back via Paypal luckily but the e-mails I had from the seller were vicious and awful. A quick look through her profile told me that she'd sold the same designer jumper a couple of times - she was obviously hard up before Christmas and just trying to make some extra cash sad

JackieLanaTurn Thu 15-Nov-12 15:20:58

I think you get good buyers and good sellers, and conversely, you get bad with both too. Ebay is what is it is. We used to sell on a massive scale, but now tend to just clear out a few times a year. We try to be scrupulously honest, but we miss things occasionally. I always assume as a buyer that someone has made an honest mistake, and work from that basis. I have always managed to sort things out amicably to date. One case where the seller got arsey I got my money back and that was enough for me.

Some sellers are just mums trying to get a bit of extra cash in at difficult times and they are under pressure, so might make mistakes...or might be folks just chancing their arm. You can never really tell. But if they're chancers, they're not destined to win, are they? Ebay are massive tools, but they do set things up in favour of the buyer on the whole.

Open up a formal case via Ebay, follow the procedures, ask the seller to refund your postage costs both ways (I would always refund full postage as a minimum...least I can do to counter for disappointment) and take it from there. If they deal with it well, in my opinion, they don't deserve a neg. If they don't deal with it well, you should still end up with your money back and you can tell the rest of the Ebay world how crap they are!

wineandroses Thu 15-Nov-12 16:26:23

I don't buy on ebay anymore. I had 3 consecutive purchases that were rip-offs: a fake 'designer' handbag (photo was of real handbag, the bag sent to me was an obvious and nasty fake) where the seller get really shitty with me, a pair of shoes that had stains and another pair of shoes that were a size smaller than advertised. Each time I complained, I received nasty and threatening responses from the sellers. Put me right off. I think Ebay has been ruined by the fakers and the aggressive scumbag thieving fraudsters.

Ah, I feel better now I've got that off my chest!

Belladonna666 Thu 15-Nov-12 16:49:13

Did you have to sign for them? If not, you could do the dirty on her and claim you never received them? I know two wrongs don't make a right but...

MrsCantSayAnything Thu 15-Nov-12 17:11:07

She's reponded to my email saying "Oh. Well I suppose you'd better send them back. ALl the boots were like that in the shop so I never thought to mention it. It's a normal fabric variation."

WHATEVER! Normal my arse. ONE boot has a big white stain on it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now