Talk

Advanced search

to think I am the worst driver ever and should get back on the bus ...

(25 Posts)
TellyRotsYourBrain Thu 15-Nov-12 08:37:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

valiumredhead Thu 15-Nov-12 08:41:22

No one was hurt, it was a lapse of concentration. Learn from it and I bet you won't do it again.

I kerned my car so badly once I had to have the tracking checked and a new tyre. We live and learn.

MunchMunch Thu 15-Nov-12 08:42:38

Don't worry about it, I've done it as I'm sure most have. How long have you been driving?

Justforlaughs Thu 15-Nov-12 08:43:32

Mounting a curb does not make the "worst driver ever" but I have to ask if you were indicating? That is my pet hate at the moment, I hate waiting for idiots who expect me to read their minds and I end up sitting at the roundabout waiting for the car on my right who invariably takes the first left until I decide to move and THEN that car obviously wanted to turn right! bah! angry grin

VirginiaDare Thu 15-Nov-12 08:46:13

I ruined a tyre on my new car kerbing it so hard. I pretended I was swerving for a cat.

ImperialStateKnickers Thu 15-Nov-12 08:46:57

We live and learn, we all boing into kerbs occasionally, usually when concentrating on a forthcoming manoeuvre. I think you would have subconsciously slowed down if there'd been someone on the pavement IYSWIM. Are your hubs/wheels okay? My current car came with alloy wheels and I was horrified at how easily they were damaged when I went through a pothole that was covered in water and I thought was just a normal puddle. And even more horrified by how much they cost to replace.

TellyRotsYourBrain Thu 15-Nov-12 08:47:12

Justforlaughs Thu 15-Nov-12 08:50:09

First day I passed my test I mounted the curb going round a corner where people were waiting to cross the road (going at about 3 mph!), I also nearly took out the boy who later became my DH (even though we hardly knew each other at the time!) oh the irony! grin

TellyRotsYourBrain Thu 15-Nov-12 08:50:40

MsElleTow Thu 15-Nov-12 08:52:04

The worst drivers are the ones who see a learner coming, so pull out of a junction/roundabout in front of them when they would never do it of the L plates weren't there! DS1 is taking his test next month, so is just practising now, he drives at the same speed at everyone else, but people still pull out in front of him, making him have to brake sharply, rather than have to follow him! It drives me bloody mad!

valiumredhead Thu 15-Nov-12 08:52:53

The first year after passing your test is when you really learn to drive grin

TheCraicDealer Thu 15-Nov-12 08:54:13

Right, calm the fuck down! No one died or was hurt, the car (and the kerb) is fine, no-one saw you do it and you won't do it again in a hurry. Everything's grand!

The way I look at it is, you see an asshole driving every day. Sometimes, you are that asshole. So the best thing to do is when you get in the car think, "I am not going to drive like a dick today" and just do your best.

TellyRotsYourBrain Thu 15-Nov-12 08:58:21

frasersmummy Thu 15-Nov-12 08:58:39

Oh I am sure we have all done that at some point (me included) and some of of us who have been driving for a lot longer have done worse ... because it literally just takes a second to go from perfect to "oh god "
Dont beat yourself up about it .. it happens

I was told when I was learning to drive that if you are coming up on an obstacle on the road eg a parked car then a good driver will get themselves out and leave room for the learner in front of him to get out too

That has stuck with me and will always hang back to give a learner room

frasersmummy Thu 15-Nov-12 09:00:21

grin at I'm not going to drive like a dick today

I think I will sellotape that to my steering wheel grin

HeathRobinson Thu 15-Nov-12 09:06:20

It's fine, I should think most people bump the kerb occasionally.

I was following a bus today and he touched the kerb with his back wheels, you could see the jolt to the bus.

TwitchyTail Thu 15-Nov-12 09:09:30

I have, on one occasion, reversed into a tree, fast enough to shatter a tyre and knock the whole car out of alignment. Fecking tree came out of nowhere.

No-one saw, so I'm still cool grin

TellyRotsYourBrain Thu 15-Nov-12 09:15:44

HullyEastergully Thu 15-Nov-12 09:17:37

I think I can safely say that I am the worst driver ever.

TellyRotsYourBrain Thu 15-Nov-12 09:21:49

ImperialStateKnickers Thu 15-Nov-12 09:22:28

I clobbered a post box once, I swear it jumped three feet out into the road grin! I was turning left off a very narrow lane onto a slightly less narrow lane, in a Transit that I'd only driven once before, and I just didn't allow for the longer wheelbase.
DP didn't let me drive his Transit again for five years...

akaemmafrost Thu 15-Nov-12 09:24:39

I've been driving for 20 years. A couple of weeks ago I turned a corner I've turned 100's of times before and went up on the curb. You'll be much more careful next time and no harm done.

frasersmummy Thu 15-Nov-12 09:29:05

I reversed into our wheelie bin cos it was sitting at the top of the drive.sent if flying across the road blush

hubby demanded to know how I didnt see it .. like that post box of imperials it just jumped out behind me .. I think that was more a case of I'm on my own drive I cant possibly hit anything till i'm off the drive.. bang!!!

elfycat Thu 15-Nov-12 09:32:02

I've kerbed a car twice, once was a roundabout incident like you describe another time I had to take evasive action with a car swerving towards me - only I punctured both tyres on that side of the car and the alloys were a bit ruined scuffed.

Recently I backed out of a friends drive and hit the side of their garage. I'd reminded myself I'd parked tight to the left and to swing out right a bit and then forgot that her husband had moved my car to get his out. So I was already a bit more right - no blame to him it was my moment.

We all have moments, I just try not to have too many.

Spatsky Thu 15-Nov-12 09:50:19

If it makes you feel better, a few weeks after passing my tests I was at some lights for a right turn behind a police car. Being a brand new driver I felt a bit self conscious behind the police car. As the lights changed the police car pulled off and as it turned right went over the kerb of the central reservation bit in the middle of the road. I had a little smile at that to myself.

I agree that most people will have done it at some point, I have too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now