Talk

Advanced search

to think that there should be a cap on how much you can charge for daycare?

(7 Posts)
Wheresmypopcorn Wed 14-Nov-12 19:00:45

Wondered what you thought about this. I was living in SW London and a new daycare opened that was 90 pounds a day. I think they just knew there was a lot of demand in the area so they could get exterminate fees out of people. Would it be better is fees were capped? Or would that stop the best people from working in the childcare industry?

Wheresmypopcorn Wed 14-Nov-12 19:02:25

Thats meant to be extortionate fees - smile

AliceWChild Wed 14-Nov-12 19:03:02

Subsidised maybe. Seems unfair to cap that service, which is predominately a source of women's income, and not all the other services that are expensive.

BooyhooRemembering Wed 14-Nov-12 19:05:37

if the fees were in relation to the cost incurred by the nursery in providing the service then i dont see why or how it could be capped. business need to make a profit on top of their own costs and if they cant do that, they'll shut down and they're will be even more demand on the other nurseries.

OPeaches Wed 14-Nov-12 19:05:56

£90??? Holy shit. I'm a teacher at the top of the maingrade pay scale and my take home pay per day isn't that much!

honeytea Wed 14-Nov-12 19:06:07

They should cap childcare if they are going to cap everything else. It is a business, if people are willing to pay high fees then the daycare place is worth what people will pay.

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Wed 14-Nov-12 19:06:25

the problem with this idea is that you have to attract people to run daycare organisations and as soon as you take the profit out of it you loose suppliers.

Also, the cost of living in SW london potentially means that staff need more than minimum wage. And the staff needed for places like this are more than babysitters, most have done childcare qualifications and you would like to think that in any profession gaining qualifications and skills means you are due more wages.

NOW £90 per day means that it is excluding huge number of children, however, so do any other business that charges alot of money... someone will pay and that is the free economy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now