Talk

Advanced search

To not want to go on a family holiday?

(9 Posts)
StarbugEnterprise Wed 14-Nov-12 14:19:29

I'm 17 ( Will be 18 when holiday happens) and my mother wants me, my step-dad and my step brother to go on a family holiday... Only problem is I don't want to go.
I've always been indepedent and like to do my own thing and at this point I would have just turned 18 and will be wanting to go out with friends, also the summer is the only time I can spend long periods of time with OH (Who lives quite far away) as he has work and I've got college.
Also I don't really get along with my step-dad and he's a bit of an ass! (Understatement it's like WW3 in our house when we're together)
Lastly, I can't stand being abroad, as I feel like I can't communicate with anyone and if me and dear step-father get into an argument I will feel I have no one to talk to!

My mum is really looking forward to it and I don't want to let her down or seem spoilt (I realise holidays are rare right now!) but I also don't want to be totally miserable for 2 weeks!
AIBU for saying I don't want to go?

BarredfromhavingStella Wed 14-Nov-12 14:26:37

At your age no YANBU & if you really don't get on with SF then it's probably best you don't go.

Lastly, I can't stand being abroad, as I feel like I can't communicate with anyone and if me and dear step-father get into an argument I will feel I have no one to talk to! -This is not a valid reason however, people from other countries do in general have a good grasp on english but how would a holiday in the UK be different, would you speak to some random stranger if you fell out with your family?? confused

Explain the situation to your mum & tell her you were thinking of going away with friends.

NatashaBee Wed 14-Nov-12 14:27:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StarbugEnterprise Wed 14-Nov-12 14:30:12

Barred It's more I would be able to call a friend and have a quick talk and they could cheer me up, obviously abroad it's harder as it costs more and would cost them.
My mum doesn't want to let go, and I don't want to upset her. Is there any way I can explain to her with out her getting upset? confused

StarbugEnterprise Wed 14-Nov-12 14:31:42

Natasha I used the pet excuse last year! My SM and dad both think it's silly that I "have" to go it's just my mum and SD

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Wed 14-Nov-12 14:34:00

YANBU. I had moved out of home by your age and had stopped going in family holidays.

If your Mum is going to get openly upset then the problem isn't that you don't want to go on holiday, it's that she is not respecting your opinions and that you are giving too much credit to hers.

BarredfromhavingStella Wed 14-Nov-12 14:35:16

Right get you-doesn't cost your mates anymore though, just you unfortunately.

I'd just tell her that you have already discussed a trip away with your friends & that you feel that you're a little old for a family holiday. I'd also point out that relations with you SF aren't great (but I'm sure she's aware of this) & you would feel quite uncomfortable being so far away from home if a falling out did occur. Maybe you could suggest a weekend away together to soften the blow a little..... wink

StarbugEnterprise Wed 14-Nov-12 14:38:33

Barred Great idea!

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Wed 14-Nov-12 14:42:22

YANBU, I would feel a bit weird holidaying with just my mum and dad too. As a compromise could you perhaps go for one week and join your friends for another week?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now