Advanced search

in NOT believing that unemployment figures have gone down

(13 Posts)
thekidsrule Wed 14-Nov-12 14:08:05

just that really

was on the news that unemployment is down this month to 2 1/2 million

ive been down my local jobcentre alot this last month and its always packed

have also been speaking to the advisors and they say jobs are scarce etc

sounds like figure shuffle to me and dosent ive a true picture at all,well not what ive seen and no many that have been made unemployed

Hammy02 Wed 14-Nov-12 14:13:03

I completely agree. Even if it is coming down, I bet there are loads of people doing part-time when they'd rather be full-time and lots of people with reduced hours. I bet there are also millions of people that have been made redundant and are now in roles being paid far less than they were before.

thekidsrule Wed 14-Nov-12 14:16:24

yeah there is so many part time now

when i look at the jobs there it's either care work or limited part time hrs

also many people coming in saying they have been "sanctioned" i wonder if this takes them of the figures to

DameMargotFountain Wed 14-Nov-12 14:18:34

there are ways to massage the figures - they didn't used to count new claimants of JSA and then those who were moved off JSA through illness/disability (even though they might be actively looking for work)

I think thats why there are so many courses available now for random things. My DBIL has just finished a Forklift truck licence, an IT course and a Health and Safety course, including food safety. He is an ex-postman, so these do not match his original skills set at all. He has had no luck finding any further employment as a result, so has been told he'll be stuck on another course in retail.

Of course, all the while people like him are stuck on pointless and no doubt costly courses which result in no increase in employment possibilities, he is "In Education or Training", not "on JSA".

That is how they screw the figures.

It is not fair at all. My dp is self employed, we are really struggling at the minute, and I have been desperately trying to get a job in my old pre-dcs career of retail, but a year on and hundreds of jobs applied for (CV submitted to all the sites you can stick it on, jobs from newspaper alerts applied for upto an hour by train away) and not one reply. Not one. I have previous managerial experience, courses the lot, but nothing.

If you ask me, they need to sort out other social-economic issues before they start on the jobless. Of course, for everyone like my DBIL who want to work, there are a few who don't but I do not believe its the large figures quoted in the Daily Mail. Its all to make the working population hate the jobless- propaganda.

And all this whilst massive companies don't pay their fair rate of tax, which allow would get us out of the pit we are in.

EuroShagmore Wed 14-Nov-12 14:31:57

The figures are definitely fiddled in the ways people mention, but they always have been, so that should still mean that there has been a fall in unemployment.

I do think it's true that a lot of the new employment will be part time though.

thekidsrule Wed 14-Nov-12 14:36:04

the goverment should have to abide by strict rules concerning this i think

i for one would like a true picture not some minipulated mess that gives no true picture

they should no way be able to do this

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 14-Nov-12 14:41:36

YABU... There are always going to be areas of the country that are better and worse off. You can't disbelieve all the statistics based on one Job Centre. The full stats are here. If you drill down into some of the spreadsheets you find that part-time workers are up 0.4% and full-time workers up 0.9% year on year.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 14-Nov-12 14:42:44

"the goverment should have to abide by strict rules concerning this i think"

The government has left all of this to the Office for National Statistics. They're the ones producing the numbers, not the government.

thekidsrule Wed 14-Nov-12 14:45:45

i mean their rules on not counting people if they are on schemes etc

they shouldnt be able to not count people that are unemployed just bdcause they have put them on a work scheme etc,they are still getting JSA not a wage

thekidsrule Wed 14-Nov-12 14:47:09

and fwiw i live in a very affluent county/town and its bad here so god only knows what it's like in the traditional black-spots

Wallison Wed 14-Nov-12 14:49:26

Don't forget that a lot of the jobs are also the so-called 'new apprenticeships' ie working full-time for £98 a week while you get intensive training over the course of two years in how to answer a phone and file stuff.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 14-Nov-12 14:54:50

They do count people on schemes. That's what I mean about drilling down into the reference tables. The one called "EMP01: Full-time, part-time and temporary workers (last updated November 2012)" shows that the number of people in full-time work is 21.45m, part-time is 8.12m and those on training schemes is 166,000. That number is significantly up on a year ago & represents half of one percent of the total workforce.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now