Talk

Advanced search

to think this is a ploy to make me pay for the call

(12 Posts)
Justforlaughs Wed 14-Nov-12 11:37:16

I have had 5 calls in the last 3 days from the same number. Everytime I answer they hang up, even if I answer really quickly. Yesterday I rang them back and got an answerphone stating "hank you for calling ...., we will put you through to a sales advisor" (cue me hanging up) AIBU to think that this is cold calling at its worse, not only do they annoy you and wake your DC's up but now they want you go pay for the phonecall as well?

MoreBeta Wed 14-Nov-12 11:42:50

Its just a computer automatic dialing. Once you answer it is supposed to put you through to a real person but if there is no one available then it goes silent.

These 'silent calls' are a known problem in telesales and the USA has brought in regulations to mimise them.

Convict224 Wed 14-Nov-12 11:44:18

Sounds dodgy, could be an automated system that rings and hangs up if a sales advisor wan't ready to speak but I thought they were outlawed. Contact your phone service provider and report them as nuisance calls.

WorraLiberty Wed 14-Nov-12 11:44:34

Interesting

I wonder if they're selling a product that they're not allowed to cold call you about...and by law you have to call them to make an inquiry?

I'm not sure what that would be...maybe a loan or something? I'm almost sure it's illegal to cold call strangers offering them loans but I could be wrong.

Justforlaughs Wed 14-Nov-12 11:45:38

Might make a note of the number and report it to our phone company then.

WorraLiberty Wed 14-Nov-12 11:45:49

Or as PP said, perhaps it's just a machine and there was no-one available at the time blush

<< Pops Deerstalker back in cupboard >>

FredFredGeorge Wed 14-Nov-12 11:47:52

Ofcom in theory enforce this in the UK too.

consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2012/10/abandoned-and-silent-calls/

Spatsky Wed 14-Nov-12 12:38:12

Get on the TPS, it doesn't stop absolutely everyone but I'm on there and I almost never get sales / marketing calls.

littleladyindoors Wed 14-Nov-12 12:42:53

I second TPS- mine have pretty much stopped now, you can put it on your mobiles and home phone too- we even have it at work to stop those annoying PPI claim recorded messages

myfirstkitchen Wed 14-Nov-12 12:44:51

google the number - I do this with missed calls. Often tells you what company it us (usually PPI rubbish)

JaxTellerIsMyFriend Wed 14-Nov-12 12:45:00

That isnt supposed to happen now in UK either. It is automated sales calls. and a total pain in the 'arris. angry

Agree TPS is the way forward. I work on the theory if someone calls and I am unavailable then if important they will leave a message - or call my mobile.

manticlimactic Wed 14-Nov-12 12:45:07

Put the number in here:

whocallsme

and it will tell you who it is. Or there will be comments from others saying who it is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now