Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to phone police?

(15 Posts)
BatCave Wed 14-Nov-12 09:58:46

Non emergency of course. There is a workman doing repairs to a building next door to DD's preschool. For the second week running now he has parked his van on the pavement (on double yellow lines) and I can't get the pushchair past. Last week I had to go into the road (as others were doing) with the pushchair, this week I had to lift the pushchair up over his wheels to get past.

I asked him last week to move his van and he has blatantly ignored me. I asked him again this morning and he just smirked at me and said 'yeah yeah ok'. For all I know he has been doing this all week, as we only have preschool on Wednesday's.

It's a very busy main road, with very few breaks in the traffic. For me I don't feel safe having to push the pushchair in the road (I also have a baby in a sling). Regardless, a wheelchair definitely wouldn't be able to get past.

I'll give him another chance to park more considerately, but if he doesn't, WIBU to call the police? Or is there somebody more appropriate I should get hold of to sort this out?

toofattorun Wed 14-Nov-12 10:04:22

Call the council and no, it wouldn't be unreasonable at all.

ImperialStateKnickers Wed 14-Nov-12 10:07:06

as toofattorun says call the council, he's causing an obstruction.

MummyPig24 Wed 14-Nov-12 10:07:46

It's not only illegal to park on double yellow lines but its also illegal to park on the pavement blocking the way. Makes me mad. Why should we have to push our peaks and wheelchairs in the road for their convenience?!

Rockchick1984 Wed 14-Nov-12 10:08:23

The police won't do anything, it needs to be the council. FWIW I've been in a similar situation, asked them to move and when he refused I said that the only way for me to get past would involve scratching his car. He moved it quickly enough once he saw me start to push the pram past grin

Justforlaughs Wed 14-Nov-12 10:08:45

I'd take a photo of it first and then contact your local police station.

BatCave Wed 14-Nov-12 10:09:32

Ah yes council <duh> of course!!!! Yes will do that. It makes me a bit mad too, so inconsiderate!

RuleBritannia Wed 14-Nov-12 10:10:41

Type some sticky labels with something like: 'Pavements are for pedestrians and it is illegal to park here. Please park more carefully.'

Every day, stick a label onto his offside side mirror.

BatCave Wed 14-Nov-12 10:10:49

I like your thinking Rockchick

sameasiteverwas Wed 14-Nov-12 11:11:25

the police will move him on for parking on the pavement especially outside the school, 101,

Pavements are for people stickers on the windscreen,

youparklikeacunt.com/

send a photo to employers, local paper and the above link, and a not to explain where the photo have gone.

steppemum Wed 14-Nov-12 11:35:49

yes, phone the council roads/highways dept. Someone new moved into our street and parked like this. The traffic wardens never come here, but he got a ticket after about a week, and changed his parking habits!!

waitingimpatiently Wed 14-Nov-12 12:22:43

On the sticky note idea - find the number for BSM and write 'learn how to park' or something along those lines.

lovelyladuree Wed 14-Nov-12 12:29:28

Where should he park then? Perhaps he could hover over the place he needs to unload his gear and materials?

Rockchick1984 Wed 14-Nov-12 12:51:16

He could park wherever the property owner usually parks and they could park further away? He could move the van when someone is unable to get past, or at least apologise and say he will only be a few minutes? He could stop being such a lazy bastard who thinks yellow lines are just advised rather than a rule to be adhered to and park further away and walk the equipment and materials to the house? No shortage of other solutions lovely if he wants to avoid being an inconsiderate jackass hmm

justmatureenough2bdad Wed 14-Nov-12 13:21:35

you can call the council and ask their parking enforcement operatives to visit, but ultimately you are best contacting the police (non-emergency line) to deal witht his. The local authority doesn't enforce the law, the police force does.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now