Talk

Advanced search

to want my DC to sit up straight for their school photo?

(6 Posts)
AlreadyScone Tue 13-Nov-12 22:09:27

Last year, for the first time, I didn't buy my DD's school photo. I usually get at least a small one to mark the passing of the years. However, last year's photo was very odd. Yes it was my beautiful DD, but they'd put her in a pose with her elbows folded on some sort of shelf, with the result being that her jumper and collar were bunched up around her ears, and her hair was sticking out wildly on both sides.

I thought it was just a fluke, told her she looked gorgeous (which of course she did despite the odd pose!), kept the small proof for the memory box, and kept my purse closed.

However she's just come back with this year's proof and they've done it AGAIN! She has a different hairstyle, different shirt, different jumper... But once again her shoulders are up around her ears, arms folded up high on this shelf, meaning that her lovely face is vanishing into folds of school sweatshirt, wonky collar and hair all over the place. A bit like a tortoise retiring into its shell (sorry DD.)

AIBU to just want a photo of my lovely girl sitting naturally?

With perhaps some evidence of having a chin, ears and a neck?

coolmango Tue 13-Nov-12 22:15:08

My DS14 school photo proof has arrived with him leaning across a desk. Presumably this is meant to look 'casual and fun'.

Result is he looks scruffy as his blazer and collar are bunched up. I asked DS14 about this and he says this is how they were told to pose.

I will definitely not be buying the photos at £25 a set and even my Ds admitted he felt a bit unnatural posing this way.

VBisme Tue 13-Nov-12 22:19:16

Do what we do and go to a local photographer every year (not the ridiculously expensive type, just a nice local firm). They'll do a great set of you and the kids for a few pounds.
If you want to have photos of the kids full class then buy that one alone.

AbeLincoln Tue 13-Nov-12 22:24:44

don't buy the school photo, get one done yourself.

AlreadyScone Tue 13-Nov-12 22:25:40

Ah so it's not just my school's photographer that's doing this "lean over a plinth" stunt.

I wonder if their sales have dropped & they're mystified? Or maybe lots of parents like the "I'm being a tortoise" look?!

AlreadyScone Tue 13-Nov-12 22:27:23

Yes I think I will organise photos myself this year... Shame though, they were lovely when she didn't look like she was holding a pencil under her chin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now