Talk

Advanced search

To think that this is unfair...

(17 Posts)
knockknockwhosthere Tue 13-Nov-12 17:36:37

My dd is being ignored in class due to her being better at the subject (secondary school) than the majority of the class. I understand that the teacher is under pressure to bring all the pupils through their exams, but dd has ended up teaching a section of the class, this has resulted in her not being able to advance in the subject as well as she could. AIBU to be annoyed by this?

AlwaysBizzy Tue 13-Nov-12 17:44:19

what subject?

knockknockwhosthere Tue 13-Nov-12 17:47:27

French

Justforlaughs Tue 13-Nov-12 17:48:10

YANBU and I would take it up with the school. She should not be expected to teach others in her class at the expense of her own education. I know that you shouldn't have to do this but is there anyway you could get a tutor for her?

Everlong Tue 13-Nov-12 17:55:15

Have you spoken with the teacher about your concerns?

knockknockwhosthere Tue 13-Nov-12 18:16:31

Yes, I have spoken to her teacher, who seemed to be very stressed and told me that she was worried about the class and feels that they are very behind and has no time to spend with the more able students. Dd has asked her about several things, which she had learned elsewhere, to be told that they would not be covering those grammar points as the rest of the class would not be able to handle it

Everlong Tue 13-Nov-12 18:18:25

That's really not on. The more able children shouldn't be neglected. Speak to the head.

TENDTOprocrastinate Tue 13-Nov-12 18:25:04

Yanbu. That is not acceptable. You should speak to the form tutor or headteacher. I am a secondary school teacher and would expect all children to be able to progress. She is not doing her job properly, she needs to be able to differentiate her lessons- even if it means having some higher level text book work that your dd could do whilst the rest of the class are taught verbally. I often speak to eager pupils during break/lunch about extension work (art is quite popular though!) and many of my colleagues do this too.

Best of luck

kenanddreary Tue 13-Nov-12 18:35:21

I am a French teacher. This is unacceptable. The teacher is responsible for the learning that goes on in the classroom - the pupils should not be given the task of teaching others. I have taught many MFL classes of mixed ability and whilst it might be a challenge and involve much more detailed planning, it is not impossible. What year is your DD in? If this is a GCSE set then it is even more worrying as your child is being held back from achieving the highest possible grade.

glamourousgranny42 Tue 13-Nov-12 18:56:25

Actually explaining a topic and teaching it is a very effective way of learning and will help her understand the topic

kenanddreary Tue 13-Nov-12 19:00:47

hmm glamourousgranny - fine to consolidate learning of a new topic but if a pupil is being held back then not so great. Every pupil has a right to progress in their learning. The role of the OP's daughter is not to be a teacher to her peers. Her education is also important.

knockknockwhosthere Tue 13-Nov-12 19:03:41

We are in Ireland, dd is in 6th year, so will be doing her Leaving Cert at the end of this year (the results of which are used to allocate university places). I offered to buy extra textbooks which she could work on, but was turned down, the tutoring we've looked into isn't available until after Christmas, so dd will definitely be doing those. I'm just angry as this could hurt her chances at getting the course she wants

knockknockwhosthere Tue 13-Nov-12 19:05:07

glamourousgranny, whilst I agree that teaching is learning and I know she doesn't mind helping out, teaching things she already understands and not being able to move on is holding her back

MickeyTheShortOne Tue 13-Nov-12 19:11:07

Doesn't sound like a fantastic teacher IMO hmm. Most of the class aren't progressing so she's getting a more able student to teach a section of the class?! Has anyone asked why a majority of the class aren't progressing? Obviously I'm aware that some kids don't progress well (me being one of them, I hated french!) but surely it says more about the teacher than the students if a majority aren't progressing?
I can understand its an effective way of learning but at the same time the more able students are being held back from getting the best grade possible. Definately report this to the headteacher..

CreamOfTomatoSoup Tue 13-Nov-12 19:14:55

Err I've been told by the head teacher where I teach that an ofsted 'outstanding' lesson uses the brighter/faster pupils to teach the info to the less bright/slower to pick it up pupils.
Consolidates the knowledge or summat.

digerd Tue 13-Nov-12 19:16:28

Never heard of that. Mind you in secondary school in ART, at which I was hopeless, my friend who was brilliant, did help me. But did not take that subject in my O level options at 14.

kenanddreary Tue 13-Nov-12 19:42:24

I understand something about the education system in Ireland. This is even more worrying as it is her Leaving Cert. You are right to be concerned. I would definitely speak to the Head of Department or a senior leader in the school. There should be no limit to what the students can learn at this level. Saying that certain grammar points will not be covered is simply not on.

The tutoring sounds like a very good plan.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now