Talk

Advanced search

Please help me now :(

(38 Posts)
Flojo1979 Tue 13-Nov-12 17:10:37

I've just got in from work half an hr ago. I'm in the kitchen cooking tea and washing breakfast pots.
DD nearly 4, has bitten DS (7) she has broken the skin, its bad.
I smacked the back of her hand sad and put her on the bottom step. I had locked the living room door (old fashion door with heavy slide lock)
She's currently on the other side kicking and screaming. What do I do? sad
Please talk me through it.

Flojo1979 Tue 13-Nov-12 17:13:00

Please somebody

ImperialStateKnickers Tue 13-Nov-12 17:13:45

Holding hand now.

SarkyWench Tue 13-Nov-12 17:13:50

are you saying that she is now locked in a room that you can't get into?

Svrider Tue 13-Nov-12 17:14:14

I would ensure older child is ok
I personally would unlock door, but ignore 4yo whilst giving 7yo lots of attention and magic cream
Try and get everything calmed down, any show 4yo what they've done
Make them say sorry
Shake your head in wonder in one hour when there friends again
<wine>

jan2013 Tue 13-Nov-12 17:14:22

oh im so sorry - dont know wat to do someone will be along soon but sounds difficult sad

Whitershadeofpale Tue 13-Nov-12 17:14:52

How long has she been out there? Is Ds OK will he need stitches or a tetnus booster?

podgymumma Tue 13-Nov-12 17:14:56

So is she locked in and can't get out?

UncomfortableOne Tue 13-Nov-12 17:15:01

make yourself a cup of tea. Is your DS ok? have you cleaned the bite and put a bandaid on it?

Is your DD somewhere safe?

Is your partner coming home soon?

ImperialStateKnickers Tue 13-Nov-12 17:15:23

Are they separated and safe now?

Justforlaughs Tue 13-Nov-12 17:15:35

Don't lock the door on her, if that's what you just said you'd done. She's only 4. Don't over-react but she is old enough to understand why what she did was very wrong. Show her his hand (he may need attention - tetanus, if it's not up to date, she may be his sister but a human bite can still be nasty) and ask her why she did it and would she like it if he did the same to her. (I'm not advocating that he does). Stay calm with her, screming and smacking her isn't going to achieve anything constructive.

PandaNot Tue 13-Nov-12 17:16:10

Ignore the kicking and screaming, carry on as if everything were normal, lavishing attention on the non-screaming child. Pick the child up and move her if needs be.

Whitershadeofpale Tue 13-Nov-12 17:16:14

For the time being as long as she's OK out there I'd ignore DD and concentrate on making sure DS is OK.

VinoEsmeralda Tue 13-Nov-12 17:16:25

Stay calm and tell her she needs to calm down and then she can come off. Ignore any other conversation. Once she has calmed down You have a chat and ask her why she did it, was it the right thing to do and what she should do next? Best of luck!

valiumredhead Tue 13-Nov-12 17:16:38

Take her back to the step - don't shut the door and get down on her level and look her in the eye and tell her to stay on the step for 7 minutes and every time she gets up she will start her time out again.

Stick to it.

This won't work if you smack as well ime.

When her time is up you need to make her apologise and find out what provoked the argument.

Actuallylookingok Tue 13-Nov-12 17:16:55

Good advice from Svrider. Then have a cup of tea (laced?) a deep breath and go back into mummy mood with everyone doing a calm activity together ready for bedtime. Feel free to weep later, but rest assured it will get better.

imtheonlyone Tue 13-Nov-12 17:17:30

So not allow her to kick the door. Explain that she will stay in there for four minutes and every time she kicks the door is another minute she has to stay there. Keep moving her away from te door until it stops. She needs o calm down but dot allow her to keep doing this.
When she is calm show her what she has done to her sister. Explain sternly its not acceptable - would. She like someone to bite her etc? Then he must apologise and cuddle her sister.
Good luck x

ObiWan Tue 13-Nov-12 17:18:27

If the 4 year old is safe, leave them too it.

Clean the 7 year old up, and key an eye on the bite over the next day or two, as people bites can be horrid.

Then I'd probably try getting to the bottom of it, because biting is bad, but if the 4 year old had been whacked around the head or something beforehand, you don't want to seem unfair in your treatment of them. An outraged 4 year old is a fearsome thing.

Kethryveris Tue 13-Nov-12 17:18:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Flojo1979 Tue 13-Nov-12 17:24:26

I have no partner. I'm single. She wasn't locked in a room, I locked her out the living room, something I have never done before. She has calmed down now.
I have never smacked her before, I just panicked and thought I had to do something huge to make her realise the seriousness of the situation.

puds11 Tue 13-Nov-12 17:27:18

Hey flojo please don't worry too much. I would let her back in the living room on the condition that she apologizes to her brother. Then have a stern word about what she has done.

You also get her to help tend to the wound she has made eg. cold flannel so she understands the severity of what she has done.

Flojo1979 Tue 13-Nov-12 17:27:57

They r both now sat either side of me whimpering.
DS due to leg (she bit his thigh)
DD has apologised.

Flojo1979 Tue 13-Nov-12 17:30:04

DD is now holding cold compress.

imtheonlyone Tue 13-Nov-12 17:30:15

Glad she's calmed down. She will understand how serious it is if you show her what she has done to DS (sorry called him her sister before!)
Well done for coping - we all have moments like this do not think you are alone. I deal with situations like this on an almost daily basis (4 boys under 7!!) the youngest used I bite but doesn't now. It took stern talkings to, a loss of something they wanted eg tv or story before bed. She will learn. Very important to make her apologise.
Well done - get yourself that cup of tea now smile

Actuallylookingok Tue 13-Nov-12 17:33:18

Well done Flojo..onto the next crisis, eh!! Just keep repeating 'It'll all get better, it'll all get better....."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now