Talk

Advanced search

To expect....

(18 Posts)
nosuchthingasagruffelo Tue 13-Nov-12 15:14:43

A hospital doctor to know that my son is autistic before trying to treat him?

valiumredhead Tue 13-Nov-12 15:15:51

More info.

ihavenofuckingclue Tue 13-Nov-12 15:16:47

valium is correct.

Would need more info to decide.

ClippedPhoenix Tue 13-Nov-12 15:25:07

why should he know unless you told him?

GlitterySkulls Tue 13-Nov-12 15:28:16

surely it was on op's sons file- which the doctor should read beforehand.

Sirzy Tue 13-Nov-12 15:34:34

Depends. If it is an A and E type situation YABU as they don't have full notes available.

In a clinic then he should have looked at the notes beforehand

ClippedPhoenix Tue 13-Nov-12 15:35:18

It depends though surely, if it's an ongoing thing then yes of course but if it's a one off then no, what's the big deal in telling the doctor?

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Tue 13-Nov-12 15:41:00

Depends on the circumstances. My DD is asthmatic and has an allergy to Ibprofen and an antibiotic, it is recorded on all of her notes but I would always, always say to anyone who might be prescribing her any medications that that is the case.

Catsdontcare Tue 13-Nov-12 15:43:09

Not sure what you mean tbh. My son has asd if we found ourselves in hospital I wouldn't expect them to know unless I told them

nosuchthingasagruffelo Tue 13-Nov-12 16:16:08

Sorry my ds has been diagnosed as having asc for 3 years went to a&e today as he has split his head open at school. Made it clear to the lady logging us in that he is autistic as he can be very uncooperative when needing treatment!

Doc came in the room an really shouted at ds who is 7 for crying and making a fuss saying he was a big boy and should know better which made ds worse. I politely pointed out that ds is autistic an it did say on the form in front of him!

The doc just shrugged at me an completely ignored ds after that leading to a huge meltdown an him having to be restrained to be treated!

ClippedPhoenix Tue 13-Nov-12 16:18:18

Well in any case the dr shouldn't be "shouting" at your DS, what an arse OP.

ihavenofuckingclue Tue 13-Nov-12 16:18:18

He shouldn't have spoken to a child like that with or without autism.

was it actually put on the form?

CrapBag Tue 13-Nov-12 16:20:45

What an asshole anyway!!!

He shouldn't be saying that to any children. I hate this attitude that children should be 'tough' or 'big enough to know better'. Why can't a child cry and be upset!!

I would actually complain about him.

CwtchesAndCuddles Tue 13-Nov-12 16:34:09

It just goes to hightlight how poor autism awareness is among some medical professionals. Many have't got a clue even when they are told and the training they get is very little.

nosuchthingasagruffelo Tue 13-Nov-12 16:37:59

It was wrote on the top of his notes in pen in capitals child is autistic and can be uncooperative!

That's why I was frustrated made everything 10 times worse than it was just because the doctor hadnt looked at what was right infront of him!

Sirzy Tue 13-Nov-12 16:41:28

Was it a geneal a and e or a peads one? Too often drs is general a and e have no idea when it comes to communicating with children let alone those with additional needs

CharlieCoCo Tue 13-Nov-12 16:51:02

He shouldnt have said that to any child.

devilinside Tue 13-Nov-12 17:08:15

My local A & E were brilliant when I told them ds had ASD, the childrens' nurse bossed all the doctors around and told all the juniors to get out as they were overwhelming DS.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now