Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to actually drink the sodding wine?

(6 Posts)
ClutchingPearls Tue 13-Nov-12 13:11:54

Not now, later tonight. the second DC go to bed

We had some friends over last weekend and was presented with the official transient bottle of wine.

We have had the bloody thing 3 times, It's like a little mascot that safely travels around the country having little stop overs. You never know if you've invited the current keepers of the bottle, so its like a roulette game whether you get the mascot or £10 worth of actual drinkable wine.

Its like the friends version of the lavender hand cream and bath soak in the school raffle.

No one actually acknowledges its the mascot and just does the "oooh, lovely".

No one drinks it because they don't one to spend good money on a replacement expensive wine. I googled it when we first received it and our little bottle was £120ish think it was won, we are all too stingy to spend more that £10 on a bottle

BUT, I've found a Tesco do a very similar looking bottle for 8ish quid. WIBU to drink the mascot and stop this ritual handing over of the transient wine? No one actually looks at the bloody bottle any more and even if they do I think I'll be doing everyone a favour and want to know why a bottle cost so bleeding much

Plus I think all our friends know if anyone is going to drink it, it will be me.

Tweasels Tue 13-Nov-12 13:14:24

Drink it and turn up at the next night out with a bottle of Lambrini.

honeytea Tue 13-Nov-12 13:15:43

I'd just buy the Tesco 8 quid bottle and drink that.

SummerRain Tue 13-Nov-12 13:16:19

Drink it. End the embarrassment fir all concerned.

5Foot5 Tue 13-Nov-12 13:18:33

Might be a disappointment and taste just horrible. I have been told ('cos I would never have found out on my own behalf) that unless you are used to drinking "fine wines" you would probably not be able to distinguish what was so much better about a £100 bottle and a £10 bottle, i.e. you would never ever think "Wow this is ten times as good as that one", You might not even like the taste.

A friend of ours has a very rich brother who is really in to expensive, collectible wine. He once gave our friend and his wife a bottle of Petrus for a present (I think this is meant to be just about the most expensivw wine you can get) Anyway, friend and wife opened it one evenings, thought it quite horrible and saved it to use up the next time they were making a coq au vin!

Rhumba Tue 13-Nov-12 13:20:20

Why doesn't anyone just open it with your friends there. All I can say is lucky you. We've had a similar thing going with friends except it was a litre and a half bottle of liebfraumilch. it's been doing the rounds for years and is never actually given but just left for the recipient to find after the party.

YRNBU to drink it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now