Talk

Advanced search

To think I may have just fucked up an important assignment?

(25 Posts)
EricNorthmansFangBanger Mon 12-Nov-12 22:07:37

So, I've just finished my dissertation proposal and handed it in online. The deadline was 11.59pm tonight and after checking through it 3 times I have submitted it. Quite elated, I stupidly went through it again one last time after submission. I have realised that there is a stray half finished sentence in the assigment sad I triple checked the work and I still fucked up.

AIBU to now be fretting that this unfinished sentence will fuck up my grade? Am angry blush and sad

fluffydressinggown Mon 12-Nov-12 22:10:25

I did that in my dissertation, I got a first for it! Don't worry.

Or resubmit if you can? Do you e-mail it in?

LRDtheFeministDragon Mon 12-Nov-12 22:10:51

Oh, it won't! One unfinished sentence is nothing.

I have never in my life handed in anything for academic stuff that didn't have multiple typos, unfinished sentences, etc. etc. My Masters dissertation had a huge note to myself - in caps lock no less - reminding me to check a reference.

It will be one minor thing, they won't care.

What's your mark scheme, anyway? I bet if you look it will tell you how much goes on SPAG, and usually that is a tiny, tiny amount.

fantashtic Mon 12-Nov-12 22:11:32

Don't worry! It's only one mistake and it sounds like you checked really thoroughly smile.

iklboo Mon 12-Nov-12 22:11:51

Can you resubmit with a 'please ignore previous submission, draft copy was attached in error?' (no idea how these things work, sorry).

LRDtheFeministDragon Mon 12-Nov-12 22:14:46

Btw, I also whined on MN a week ago that I managed to submit a research proposal to an Oxbridge college with my subject misspelt as 'literiture'. blush blush And it was only 1,000 words long for me to proof-read!

Honestly: one unfinished sentence in a dissertation is nothing. They would have to be bastards to hold it against you.

OHforDUCKScake Mon 12-Nov-12 22:15:28

Whooooop! You submitted your dissertation!! I felt like I was walking on air when I did that, amazing feeling.

I fucked up far more than one sentance, it happens.

I absolutely, refuse to believe any dissertation is 100% perfect. Even firsts arent perfect.

It'll be fine. grin

SarkyWench Mon 12-Nov-12 22:16:11

I know someone who missed out about 15 pages of his phd thesis.

And I've yet to mark a piece of coursework that had no typos.

The golden rule is:
Never reread something once it has been submitted . That way madness lies smile

EricNorthmansFangBanger Mon 12-Nov-12 22:17:51

Thank you for cheering me up! I was mainly on the look out for massive caps myself LDR grin Just seen that SPAG is only worth 5% too. <relaxes slightly>

No chance of resubmission and it was submitted electronically so I can't get it back but you have all made me feel much better, so many thanks thanks wine

Whatnowffs Mon 12-Nov-12 22:20:32

It wont matter, but you could possibly send them an ammendment. I will be stunned if it has no more mistakes in it anyway. Proof reading your own work is stupidly difficult and you often miss the mistakes. I had loads of corrections to make on my PhD thesis and i was mortified at some of them, but everyone does it. It will be fine.

You could send them an email saying that you proof read the document, but it appears that a mistake appeared (lets face it you probably did it when you were proof reading it anyway) and you have noticed it. Then send the full sentence. At least that way you have acknowledged it.

EricNorthmansFangBanger Mon 12-Nov-12 22:21:50

I wish it was my dissertation, this was just my dissertation proposal which was just under 3000 words grin I can imagine the elation I will feel when I do hand the actual dissertation in come April though. The best thing will be that I won't be pregnant anymore come hand in and I shall be getting myself rather merry smile

LRDtheFeministDragon Mon 12-Nov-12 22:27:26

Ahh, 5%? You're fine!

sarky - OMG. shock Wow.

Mind you, I reckon I could cut 15 pages of mine and my supervisor wouldn't bat an eyelid. Days later she'd be thinking 'hmm, I'm sure LRD bored on for longer than that last time I saw the draft ...'.

How long is it going to be, eric? Cos 3000 words is hefty for a proposal, surely?!

EricNorthmansFangBanger Mon 12-Nov-12 22:42:39

Apparently not LDR The actual dissertation will have to be between 12,000 and 15,000 words when I write that up

Welovecouscous Mon 12-Nov-12 22:44:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LRDtheFeministDragon Mon 12-Nov-12 22:44:50

Wow. Good luck with it!

Punkatheart Mon 12-Nov-12 22:47:25

I recently did some proofreading for some students and was amazed at the mistakes. So one half-finished sentence is nothing...

LRDtheFeministDragon Mon 12-Nov-12 22:49:20

I should get you to proof read for me punk.

Punkatheart Mon 12-Nov-12 23:05:50

One tip is to read it out loud. So many things have been picked up that way. Also, don't try and read it on the screen - print it out and go through with a pen. A nice big red one.

There - two tips. My invoice will be in the post. grin

LRDtheFeministDragon Mon 12-Nov-12 23:08:08

grin

MakeItALarge Tue 13-Nov-12 00:25:25

My dissertation had a paragraph that just stopped halfway through a sentence. How I missed that I will never know, it was glaringly obvious the sentance was incomplete but id just moved on to the next paragraph!

Still got a first, lecturer said he didnt notice hmm

Punkatheart Tue 13-Nov-12 22:48:00

Sentence.

(My invoice is in the post, Makeit)

BluelightsAndSirens Tue 13-Nov-12 22:52:41

Can you not recall it on the hope that it hasn't been read yet?

MakeItALarge Tue 13-Nov-12 23:11:55

grin Clearly op has nothing to worry about, I got a first and I cant even spell blush

whois Tue 13-Nov-12 23:37:04

Never reread something once it has been submitted . That way madness lies

Yup!

My dissertation was proof read be me about a million times and my ex-teacher mother went through it twice. Was flocking through the bound copy when I was packing to move and noticed a spelling mistake! Argh!

Don't worry about it, esp only your proposal.

flow4 Tue 13-Nov-12 23:38:56

I have been employed to write and re-write journal articles for academics. I know one professor who can't spell or string a grammatically-correct sentence together at all. grin I doubt he'd even notice students' mistakes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now