Talk

Advanced search

To be really irritated about this charity shop donation?

(19 Posts)
blueballoon79 Mon 12-Nov-12 22:05:49

For the past week I'd been considering buying some nail polish too give myself a french manicure.

Today I was browsing through the charity shops when I came across a boxed french manicure set that was only four pounds.

The box had been opened but the nail files inside had no sign of use and nor had a tip whitening pencil that was in there.

I bought the set feeling pleased that I'd found a real bargain and saved about ten pounds.

This evening I started painting my nails. I used the base coat and then noticed that the white polish for painting the tips was a quarter empty and because the top was obviously not tightened enough it was thick and gloopy. I still painted my nails with it but it looked a bit messy. I then went on to use the pink coat over the top and found there was none left. It was an empty bottle.

I'm actually sitting here really angry (probably unreasonably so) at the person who thought this was a good donation! It even had one of those donor ID stickers on so they can be told how much their donation has made for the charity.

Who on earth would donate a useless, used up set of nail polish?

I'm hopping mad!

mrscumberbatch Mon 12-Nov-12 22:08:58

Add a wee bit of nail polish remover to the bottle and it'll loosen up again and become more fluid.

blueballoon79 Mon 12-Nov-12 22:11:19

I could do that with the white one but the other bottle is completely empty! It's basically an incomplete unusable set.

AKissIsNotAContract Mon 12-Nov-12 22:17:15

You can buy a new French manicure set on eBay for less than £4. I'm suprised that a charity shop would price a second hand one that high.

blueballoon79 Mon 12-Nov-12 22:19:38

It also had a nail whitening pencil, nail files and buffers in it which were all unused but the polishes were either thick and gloopy or empty!

I wish I'd just bought one on eBay now! I was trying to save money for Christmas and now I'm going to have to end up spending more money to get a proper set.

I just cannot understand who in their right mind would donate something so useless!?

Gumby Mon 12-Nov-12 22:19:54

Hopping mad?!?

mercibucket Mon 12-Nov-12 22:21:55

It's just something from the back of someone's drawer, forget it and move on

mercibucket Mon 12-Nov-12 22:21:55

It's just something from the back of someone's drawer, forget it and move on

BikeRunSki Mon 12-Nov-12 22:22:22

Yes, but Kiss, chairity shops don't always price that realistically. The Hospice shop in my village sells Primark long sleeved Ts for £3. That's what they cost new!

mrskeithrichards Mon 12-Nov-12 22:23:17

Pound shop sell them.

They're only £1!

EnjoyResponsibly Mon 12-Nov-12 22:26:34

Blueballoon perhaps it is the same reason that donated to Oxfam a large parcel of carefully wrapped newspaper.

Many, many layers later I discovered a stained, bent, cardboard strawberry punnet. Like a cardboard trug.

Very helpful for raising funds, as I'm sure you'll agree.

blueballoon79 Mon 12-Nov-12 22:32:35

I agree! Why do people donate these things?

My Mother volunteers in a charity shop and she says the amount of absolute crap they receive is unbelievable!

Stained old underwear, stinking old used towels, dirty, holey socks- to name a few!

She says sometimes she dreads sorting out the donations and a real bugbear of hers are those people who want to know how much their contribution has made. She says it all takes more volunteer time to sort it out and then extra money to print and post the letters out which are losing the charity money.

mercibucket I would have just forgotten it and moved on if I wasn't totally skint and saving for Christmas right now. I've wasted money now and I don't have money to throw away!

FourEyesGood Mon 12-Nov-12 22:32:58

Every time I buy a dud from a charity shop (most recent was a PS2 game for DCs; it was too scratched so didn't work) I just think about all of the mega-bargains I've had over the years. And it's not like buying something shit from a business - you've made a £4 donation to charity. OK, so you don't have spare cash at the moment. Console yourself with the knowledge that French manicures look a bit horrible anyway.

mercibucket Mon 12-Nov-12 22:38:38

Charity shops are always hit and miss

And rags sell for good money. I bag mine separately tho, to save the poor staff sorting through (and it's always washed!!)

Like the strawberry punnet donation!

mercibucket Mon 12-Nov-12 22:38:38

Charity shops are always hit and miss

And rags sell for good money. I bag mine separately tho, to save the poor staff sorting through (and it's always washed!!)

Like the strawberry punnet donation!

abbathehorse Tue 13-Nov-12 10:33:17

Charity shops do give refunds for goods they sell that are faulty (which would include used up). They have to, the same as other shops. Do you have your receipt?

ontheedgeofwhatever Tue 13-Nov-12 11:34:07

I got DS a leapfrog catterpillar at the weekend for £3. I was really pleased until I got home and discovered it didnt work even with brand new batteries. I will just regard it as a donation to a good local charity and move on

Piffyonarockbun Tue 13-Nov-12 11:57:20

Ive got a nearly new french manicure set. The polishes have only been used once or twice. Sounds in better nick than the one you got. I wont be using it again as i have had to file my nails back down for work. If you fancy it just pm me, id be happy to send it along smile

Piffyonarockbun Tue 13-Nov-12 12:22:06

Ps and i wouldnt dare send the one ive got to the charity shop so im a bit shock that someone else would send one in such poor condition. If i cant give it away ill be binning it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now