Talk

Advanced search

To think when they say 'she was 4 times the drink drive limit' its not actually that much?

(65 Posts)
OHforDUCKScake Mon 12-Nov-12 15:57:38

When reading about someone so drunk they were passing out and they were '4 times the drink drive limit' its not that much surely?

A pint is the limit? So its about 4 pints?
Thats not passing out amounts or am I pisshead? hmm

(This has nothing to do with anyone actually driving.)

Mrsjay Mon 12-Nov-12 15:59:54

you might feel ok after 4 pints or 4 small wines but your reaction will be slower etc etc , and maybe a little bit of a pissheadgrin dont drink over the limit <wags finger>

mercibucket Mon 12-Nov-12 15:59:58

So long as it's not in the context of actually driving after that amount, I agree, it's a useless indication of how pissed they were.

mercibucket Mon 12-Nov-12 15:59:58

So long as it's not in the context of actually driving after that amount, I agree, it's a useless indication of how pissed they were.

FryOneFatManic Mon 12-Nov-12 16:01:03

The limit is in relation to the amount of alcohol in your blood. It takes time to get there, so 4 x the limit is a lot.

VirginiaDare Mon 12-Nov-12 16:03:34

It's quite a lot. I had 4 pints on thurs and again on friday and was langered.

TravelinColour Mon 12-Nov-12 16:03:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

I started a thread like this. I was told that the guidelins are of course underestimates (as they should be) so the actual amount needed to take you over the limit might be as mch as 2 pints, in which case 4x over is 8 or ten pints, depending on how you interpret it.
However...I do agree with you. They go on about people having their stomach pumped or whatever because they were 3x over the drink drive limit and I think well yes that's obviously far too much to drive but I struggle to believe it's too much to walk grin

Jins Mon 12-Nov-12 16:04:05

I think you need to drink a lot more than 4 pints to get a blood alcohol level of four times the drink driving limit.

Amy Winehouse was 5 times the limit. 350mg is considered a fatal level, under 4 and half times the limit

Trills Mon 12-Nov-12 16:05:25

A pint probably wouldn't put you at the limit unless you are rather small.

Try this

Kethryveris Mon 12-Nov-12 16:07:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Justforlaughs Mon 12-Nov-12 16:07:31

I'm glad you clarified that this has nothing to do with driving as I was ready to go mad. I hate drink driving with a vengence, but I agree that being 3 times over the drink driving limit isn't all that much providing they are not driving (and won't be in the morning either).

Trills Mon 12-Nov-12 16:08:07

If I had 4 (UK) pints of 4% beer, all at once, I'd be at about 2 1/2 times the drink drive limit.

To be at 4x the drink-drive limit I'd have to have had 15 shots (25ml shots of 40% spirit) all at once.

Hmm, lets see, first if I have this right, and second if I can explain it grin if it takes an hour for one unit of alcomahol to leave your blood, four times over the limit would mean that you would have to be maintaining that amount by drinking more, in the time it would take for it to metabolise?

IYSWIM?

Trills Mon 12-Nov-12 16:09:33

If you were writing a news article how would you describe it? We need something to use as a reference point.

I guess "so drunk they were passing out" would cover it.

Beyond, yes it does. So if you're still at that level when you were actually tested, chances are you were much higher in the preceding hours

WelshMaenad Mon 12-Nov-12 16:12:47

Yes, but, that alcohol is accumulating in your blood whilst your bidy us also actively processing it out, plus it takes time to drink that amount if liquid, so by the time you've drink your eith pint, the first has probably been eliminated, unless you drink really fast. So yes, it takes a LIT if booze to be that many times over the limit.

CrunchyFrog Mon 12-Nov-12 16:14:30

I'd be pissed on 4 pints. I'd be fine after 4 whiskies (not driving fine, but perfectly alright) which is why I don't drink beer!

hf128219 Mon 12-Nov-12 16:14:48

But this is the alcohol reading when it is actually taken.

So if someone started drinking at 18.00 and drunk one 125ml glass of wine every hour on the hour until 01.00 they could give a negative reading at 01.00.

That's a bottle of wine @ 12% volume.

BoakFace Mon 12-Nov-12 16:14:49

People who drink and drive make me RAGE, selfish twats angry

Trills Mon 12-Nov-12 16:16:07

125ml per hour is not a lot of wine.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 12-Nov-12 16:16:31

Someone hit our car who was 3.5x the drink drive limit.

She was staggering about, falling over, unable to talk, no understanding of what had happened, slurring her words but totally incoherent, couldn't use her phone to ring her dp and then tried to fight me, then tried to fight the police.

Its enough to really make you unaware of whats going on.

So it is a lot. However women should be able to get that drunk if they want to without been raped.

ThatVikRinA22 Mon 12-Nov-12 16:17:49

the drink drive limit is 35 micrograms per 100 ml of breath - so regardless of how much someone has drunk the legal limits are the same.

i see people over the limit all the bloody time - its dangerous. i went to an RTC on saturday night involving a drunk driver - he wasnt so pissed he was passing out but he was well over the limit and could have easily killed someone.

its not about units.
its about the legal limit.

But surely the two are linked, but adjusted for body weight and height?

JackThePumpkinKing Mon 12-Nov-12 16:24:47

4 x drunk drive limit = a metric fucktonne.

hth.

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now