Talk

Advanced search

to say no to adpoting a turtle?

(6 Posts)
LoopsInHoops Mon 12-Nov-12 10:22:02

We live in SE Asia. DH has agreed to having a pet turtle from friends when they move home soon.

Rehoming our pets before we came here was distressing and I really don't want pets. I don't want the hassle or the heartache. We came here for fun, and we go away a lot. We would be relying on neighbours too frequently for my liking.

Also, this turtle currently lives in a very small tank with no heater, light etc. DH seems to think that's fine, but it isn't. Not in my book. I would only want to rehome it if we were to keep it in proper conditions - just because we're not in the UK doesn't mean we lower our standards on animal welfare.

But he's told them now we'll have it. hmm

WWYD?

LoopsInHoops Mon 12-Nov-12 10:23:19

Plus there are wild turtles everywhere her. Would it be OK to just release it, or would that be guaranteeing death? Is small and indigenous, not a sea turtle, I believe same species as we have in lake near home.

LoopsInHoops Mon 12-Nov-12 11:07:25

Not important then I guess?

Pinkpeacock Mon 12-Nov-12 12:35:28

Don't release it, it won't work. Just in case you don't know, turtles smell worse than the worst smell you can think of, they are a huge amount of work and they are not fond of fiddling children. I fostered one a few years ago and I was so so happy to find him a good home, was more hassle than having a monkey.

Jenny70 Mon 12-Nov-12 13:24:40

So this is a pet you don't want because a) it's a big responsibility b) it's not being kept in a humane/reasonable way c) you'll need to rehome it eventually d) you've never actually wanted a turtle in your life?

Sounds like it's a lose-lose situation... get turtle, upgrade tank etc, work to look after it (with minimal enjoyment of animal) and then need to rehome it eventually.

Are there any up-sides to this? I'd be telling DH to tell friends ASAP that there is a change in plans and you can't have it... it's not actually your responsibility to rehome it (yet).

LoopsInHoops Mon 12-Nov-12 13:28:50

a)yep, b)yep, c)yep, d)yep

And yep, I agree. More hassle than a money I hadn't anticipated though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now