Talk

Advanced search

To think people should not hog tables on busy Saturday.

(24 Posts)
higgle Mon 12-Nov-12 10:03:02

Three of my family went to the local farmers market on Saturday, the busiest day of the week in our small country town. We were hoping to end the outing with cofee and an organic vegan cake ( that sort of place).

The first cafe we went into was really full, but on looking closer half the people there had finished and were simply sitting. One table of 4 occupied by lady with lap top and empty cup who just glowered at me and spread her stuff over the table more. There is a large circular table by the door which seemed to have two groups at it, 4 of them got up and then blocked the doorway continuing conversation with the other half of the table, when we went back in for a second time they assembled round the seats they had just vacated and carried on talking.

We did eventually find a table - but no chairs - in another place and got glowered at by those who were using the few dd chairs around the room to put their handbags on. Eventually got to second place in the queue to order and got stuck behind someone who took ages to decide what sort of herbal tea he wanted. Chomped cake ( admittedly very nice cake) in state of aggitation and despair. I always feel very uncomfortable taking up a seat when I've finished if there are people waiting to sit down. Don't get me started on all the huge buggies blocking access ......

mrskeithrichards Mon 12-Nov-12 10:05:23

It all sounds very traumatic.

Flask and Mr Kipling next time.

pictish Mon 12-Nov-12 10:08:51

Yabu - it's not just your relaxing outing, but everyone else's as well...and unfortunately you just have to wait your turn to use the tables and chairs. People may linger at their table as long as they please...and the same rule is applied to you as well.

I understand how annoying it is, of course, but that's the way it goes.

Brodicea Mon 12-Nov-12 10:09:50

This sort of thing cranks me out too (although not really a big deal in the scheme of things, I know). Sometimes I find it best to say really politely - 'is anyone using that chair' and be extra nice. Then they kind of come to their senses and have to be nice back - as they think of themselves as nice middle class organic-eating clouds of ephemeral goodness hmm
BUT bear in mind how frightened brits are of confrontation / being assertive so they might have been wondering when you were going to ask rather than glowering....
Still, I have a (bitchy) theory that lots of middle class faux-hippies are just self centred: and they can say 'oh but I only eat mung beans so I must be a nice person', rather then, erm, actually being a nice person.
I live in a town full of these types so I get it all the time.

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Mon 12-Nov-12 10:10:10

Farm shop places tend to be more expensive than average, so if I choose to pay their prices I will use their furniture for as long as is reasonable if I want to. It is reasonable to sit still for 5-10 minutes after finishing and overpriced sandwich or a piece of cake.

Yabu about buggies blocking aisles, doorways, access to anything. Buggy pushers who won't fold or move their buggies to an area where they are less annoying AVU.

Brodicea Mon 12-Nov-12 10:10:29

PLUS - don't let it ruin your good time!

schoolgovernor Mon 12-Nov-12 10:12:20

However, I'm sure I'm not the only one who is getting more and more irritated by people who move into coffee shops to use them as an extension of their home or office. Thinking that one skinny late entitles them to take over a table with their laptop, Kindle or new paperback for an hour or so. Generally glaring hard at anyone who might dare to try to share.

avivabeaver Mon 12-Nov-12 10:12:46

well the owners of the cafe need to be a bit more assertive.

our local coffee shop- during the week you linger as long as you like. at the weekend, the staff pop over and ask if you have finished, would you like anything else? For the really thick skinned, they will say very pleasantly, if you have finished we need the table for waiting customers.

more fool the owners if they dont do this- they are losing money!

Tenderisthenight Mon 12-Nov-12 10:22:39

Brodicea - absolutely. Reusing your carrier bags seems to be a panacea for all kinds of questionable behaviour. I wish some of these types would be as kind to people as they are to 'the environment'.

And op I think they were being unreasonable to sit there for ages with nothing to drink, not just to you but to the cafe itself, which is presumably the sort of small local business that these space hoggers get a self righteous kick out of 'supporting'.

higgle Mon 12-Nov-12 17:34:14

Yes, I was thinking that the cafe owners could have earned a bit more money if they had just come out and said something about tring to find a place for the people waiting. I don't mind anyone lingering over their drinks or staying another 5 minutes or so, but the ones who take over a whole table for 4 and glower at anyonewho comes near them are a total pain.

putonyourredshoes Mon 12-Nov-12 17:52:17

ha ha at MrsKeithRichards!

Fakebook Mon 12-Nov-12 18:08:22

Yanbu! I've had bad experiences on Saturdays in busy places. You should have told them to vamoos!

higgle Mon 12-Nov-12 22:09:40

Brodicea - "Still, I have a (bitchy) theory that lots of middle class faux-hippies are just self centred: and they can say 'oh but I only eat mung beans so I must be a nice person', rather then, erm, actually being a nice person.
I live in a town full of these types so I get it all the time. " Indeed! one of them was wearing a White Poppy, which I would have thought was an absoloute guarantee of loveliness.

LRDtheFeministDragon Mon 12-Nov-12 23:34:59

'Thinking that one skinny late entitles them to take over a table with their laptop, Kindle or new paperback for an hour or so.'

It does, though. smile

Unless the owners of the cafe tell me to move on, I will continue to assume that 'stay in' doesn't mean 'and you have precisely 8 minutes, six seconds for this grande latte and an extra 30 if you're conspiciously wussy about gulping hot liquids'.

If you are really that fussed, ask the barista if there's a table free, and either they will sort one out by asking customers who've been there a while to buy another drink or move on, or won't give a toss.

LucieMay Mon 12-Nov-12 23:42:12

Yabu purely for wanting to eat a vegan organic cake instead of a nice big fat slab of chocolate cake.

BandersnatchCummerbund Mon 12-Nov-12 23:50:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SoleSource Mon 12-Nov-12 23:55:41

Lol Bander!

GreenEggsAndNichts Tue 13-Nov-12 01:03:32

Yes sorry, it might not be ideal to do during very busy periods, but people are paying high prices for the atmosphere and the ability to sit and enjoy themselves.

I almost never get to do this myself anymore. But if I do get an hour to myself, I've no reason to scarf my food and bolt just because other people have arrived.

I'm not advocating camping there all day, but there's a happy medium, I think.

maddening Tue 13-Nov-12 06:58:17

Did you not go and ask for the spare chairs or the lingering standing round groups if you could have their table?

JeezyOrangePips Tue 13-Nov-12 08:01:24

Luciemay, I am not vegan, but the best cake I have ever eaten was a huge chunk of vegan chocolate cake. It was just divine.

Justforlaughs Tue 13-Nov-12 08:20:20

My usual ploy is to send my DC's to sit on one table with someone loitering and I sit on another with someone else! grin

SparkyTGD Tue 13-Nov-12 11:45:06

Good method Justforlaughs, some days I'd happily sit at a different table to DS (and DP grin)

rainbow2000 Tue 13-Nov-12 13:27:32

If on the off chance ive no dcs on a Saturday afternoon you can bet your bottom dollar i wont be leaving the cafe anytime soon.

To me thats really what a lovely coffee and a read of kindle is all about not being rushed.Bliss

higgle Thu 15-Nov-12 07:23:31

At the risk of giving myself away, in this particular town it is nearly impossible to buy anything that is not organic and vegan!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now