Talk

Advanced search

To not take a gift.....

(18 Posts)
Littlegreenbear Sun 11-Nov-12 19:47:51

I need genuine advice here as don't want to seem a tight wad and don't know the etticate....

Nephew -inlaws partner threw a baby shower a few weeks back....I took lovely gifts for the baby to the showe (as did other guests).

Now nephews and partners baby is here and we are now off to visit tomorrow....am I expected to take another gift ...? I have a lovely congrats card....but I just feel I have spent enough and I don't have much as it is at the moment

Genuine question as it was my first baby shower I've attended so I just normally take the babies gift on his/her arrival .....

Thanks

Tweasels Sun 11-Nov-12 19:51:26

I wouldn't take one. This is why I don't get baby showers.

ladygoldenlion Sun 11-Nov-12 19:52:11

No, you don't need to take anything else - your original gift is enough.

The card sounds nice smile

hermioneweasley Sun 11-Nov-12 19:54:15

No, gift at shower means no requirement to give another.

NickNacks Sun 11-Nov-12 19:54:15

I would just take some nice biscuits for mum.

Everlong Sun 11-Nov-12 19:54:19

Yes just take a card and at a push some flowers but they're not really necessary.

WelshMaenad Sun 11-Nov-12 19:54:30

I had a baby shower and did not get second gifts from people, nor did I expect to. Not that I expected gifts at all really! Card sounds lovely.

McChristmasPants2012 Sun 11-Nov-12 19:54:57

No you don't need to take a gift

mamij Sun 11-Nov-12 19:55:43

I wouldn't take one. Maybe some chocs wine for the mum.

WelshMaenad Sun 11-Nov-12 19:55:48

Or, for a cheap but nice gift, buy a national and local paper from the day she was burn and put them in a nice box to start a keepsake?

Littlegreenbear Sun 11-Nov-12 19:58:32

Ah thanks for advice

I'm so used to taking a gift when baby arrives it just feels odd going with only a card in hand so I genuinely didn't know what was expected

:-))

mrskeithrichards Sun 11-Nov-12 20:01:24

I've never been to k shower but I'd feel weird going to see a baby empty handed!

DontmindifIdo Sun 11-Nov-12 20:04:09

Take cake!!! but other than that, no, you don't need to take a gift.

Cake (or posh biscuits) is a serious answer, you dont need to buy anything for the baby, but treat it like if you were visiting your nephew-in-law's partner who had just got out of hospital for something else, you'd take her cake or flowers, so no gift for the baby, somehting for her and that way you're not akwardly turning up empty handed and everyone likes cake and biscuits. And she'll get a lot of visitors, so it's good for her to have something to give them.

Panzee Sun 11-Nov-12 20:06:22

I did the cake thing for a friend. I got gifts for the shower and then cake when the baby was born.

DontmindifIdo Sun 11-Nov-12 20:06:53

Oh, and if you take flowers, take a vase or an arrangement in a basket so she doesn't need to find a vase - I ran out before DS was a week old, so many people sent me flowers.

diffo Sun 11-Nov-12 20:15:37

If you feel you want to take something, then take something for mum and dad not baby

lovelyladuree Sun 11-Nov-12 21:39:57

I would take something foodie. Cake, biscuits, whatever. No proper gift. That has already been done fgs.

mamamibbo Sun 11-Nov-12 21:45:51

take something for mum, maybe something you've cooked and they can re-heat for when they are too tired?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now