Talk

Advanced search

AIBU Shopping Delivery

(25 Posts)
PastaDee Sun 11-Nov-12 18:12:28

I'm not am I.... Booked delivery for 7.30-8.30pm as I knew DD would be in bed then. No one else in house. The driver rang and asked if he could come at 6.30 as he is running early.

I said I would be bathing 1yo DD about then so he could ring but it may take me a few minutes to get down if I need to get her out and into a dressing gown. 

The driver sighed and said 'so I'll have to wait in the van' to which I replied 'i may be available straight away or I may need a minute alternatively you can come at the time I booked when I guarantee I shall answer instantly.'

He said he would come at 6.30. 

Surely he didn't expect me to leave her unattended or change her bath time to suit a delivery time I didn't select in the first place??

missymoomoomee Sun 11-Nov-12 18:17:46

He said he would wait in the van. I don't see your issue really. confused

podgymumma Sun 11-Nov-12 20:02:39

I know he changed the time but I think YABU. Why couldn't you just bath her after the delivery or make sure she was out of the bath by 6.25!! How long is she in the bath for??

Trills Sun 11-Nov-12 20:12:16

You could have just said "no, I want you to come between 7.30 and 8.30".

I've done that before, I was on a train and wouldn't be home.

Trills Sun 11-Nov-12 20:13:54

YABU to sound so annoyed over the fact that you think he sighed. That's the only part of the interaction that I can see you being even slightly irritated by, and I think your levels of annoyance are disproportionate.

CharlieCoCo Sun 11-Nov-12 20:14:15

i hate that. they think they are doing you a favour when they come early but theres a reason why we book a certain time.
Im a nanny and i was out on a day trip with my charges and the shopping was due at 8.30-9.30pm whilst they were in bed. we were on our way home at 7.10pm and it was already passed their usual bedtime. anyway the delivery man was hanging outside our house, saying he had been waiting for 20 minutes and had misread the delivery time. i said that it wasnt a good time now as i needed to put 2 exhausted young chidden to bed (before parents come home and dont want cranky overtired children to deal with) and he was moaning and halfway in our house with the shopping saying it will take 5 mins (yes for him but then i have frozen food to put away, children who want to help unpack and to do bedtime routine all in 20mins).
Also had it where i was just about to get in the car to pick up charge from nursery. baby was already in the car and the delivery man came early. no i dont have time for you to load up, put all the shopping in and me put the forzen stuff away then have the shopping in the way when im making lunch/delaying lunch coz the kids are helping me put it away, theres a reason why i chose naptime so dont go huffing to me you have to wait 20mins coz i have the nursery run to do!! angry

SavoyCabbage Sun 11-Nov-12 20:18:33

He only sighed. Perhaps it was really important to him that he come at 6.30 and he just couldn't help it. Sighing I mean.

Sirzy Sun 11-Nov-12 20:22:10

I probably sighed because inwardly he was thinking "there goes my early finish"

but he called in advance and he said he would wait so where is the issue really?

Could you not have just had her bathed a bit later/earlier for once?

mrskeithrichards Sun 11-Nov-12 20:22:37

You just bath dd a shade earlier or later, or say no. He was phoning to ask if it was ok to come early. It wasn't so say no.

He cares not about your little ones bath or bed routine.

Fakebook Sun 11-Nov-12 20:27:19

Why couldn't you just wait 15 mins and give your dd a later bath or earlier bath? confused.

Do people really stick to perfect timetables?! It's all chaos and going with the flow and fitting things around at our house blush.

Selks Sun 11-Nov-12 20:33:56

Surprised at the responses on here. A delivery slot is something that is bought and paid for so it's not unreasonable to want your stuff delivered at the time chosen by you not the time chosen by the driver.

Trills Sun 11-Nov-12 20:34:25

It's not unreasonable to say "no, please deliver at the time I chose". It is unreasonable to get upset at being asked.

Sirzy Sun 11-Nov-12 20:39:29

But the driver phoned to check. If he had just turned up fair enough but he didn't.

CarpeJugulum Sun 11-Nov-12 20:45:49

I must admit, this is why they have my mobile rather than the house number to call.

Then I can be "out" if it's inconvenient grin

PastaDee Sun 11-Nov-12 20:47:03

I wasn't annoyed or upset. His sigh and 'I'll have to stay in the van' suggests he thought I was being unreasonable so I am asking if I was.

Some OPs think I was, some OPs think I wasn't.

charliecoco sums it up. With a shopping delivery it's not just opening the door. At least the frozen items have to be put away.

I know the driver wanted to finish early. I sympathise with that hence why I said 6.30 was find but to hang on if I didn't come to the door ASAP.

MidniteScribbler Mon 12-Nov-12 00:14:40

Seriously, would it really have ruined your day to let him deliver early and bath your child fifteen minutes later? Are you really that special that you couldn't find it in yourself to make someone else's day a bit easier? Maybe coming earlier might mean that he could get home to bath his own children at the end of the day? Maybe he wanted to come early because if he did then he could get to the old lady on the other side of town while she had her carer there to help her put it away? Get over yourself.

CaliforniaLeaving Mon 12-Nov-12 01:43:10

Do you mums really know exactly when you will have a child in the bath? Our routine always seems to be more of an estimate, it can go 15-30 minutes in either direction. Why so strict on the timing of everything?
Dd goes to bed at 7 on school nights, that could be 6.45 or 7.15 but really no later so she gets enough sleep.

carabos Mon 12-Nov-12 07:54:44

The frozen goods won't defrost in the time it takes to bath a small child. If they did, none of us would have ever ended up with fish and chips for supper on nights when someone I forgot to get the planned meal out of the freezer before going to work in the morning.

beyoglu Mon 12-Nov-12 08:13:47

YANBU. The company offers delivery within an hourly slot, you sensibly picked one that was after bathtime, the driver wanted to suit himself and come earlier and you did your best to accomodate him. If he doesn't like it he could have done the job he was paid to do and come at the booked time.

Trills Mon 12-Nov-12 08:19:55

He would have come at the booked time if she had said "no, please come at the booked time".

kittysaysmiaow Mon 12-Nov-12 08:21:15

YANBU. You booked a slot at a specific time and paid for it. We get this a lot with our online deliveries, I've had drivers being quite arsey if I can't fit in with the new time (eg if we're out). Also had them turning up early without phoning. It can be annoying

bonkersLFDT20 Mon 12-Nov-12 08:28:22

YANBU to want him to come at the time you booked, but YABU to be cross about him phoning to check and then sighing. He was just disappointed, that's all. It's a pretty rubbish job.

Trills Mon 12-Nov-12 08:30:43

If he sighed (which I'm not entirely convinced of) it was probably because instead of saying "yes that's OK" or "no, please come at the time I booked" you decided to tell him the details of your child's bedtime routine.

nokidshere Mon 12-Nov-12 08:32:33

I would have said yes or no depending whether I was home or not - if I was in the house I would have said yes and worked around it. Frozen food takes forever to defrost, 15 mins either way wouldnt make any difference.

Trills Mon 12-Nov-12 08:56:18

I'm not saying you did anything wrong here, but neither did he.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now