Talk

Advanced search

to have run away in shame? <grim, tmi, public swimming pool>

(28 Posts)
RevoltingPeasant Sun 11-Nov-12 16:42:49

DH and I go swimming every Sunday. One slightly awkward thing: one of my students is a lifeguard there. I don't mind but he clearly feels weird about it as he always avoids eye contact - he obviously doesn't want to 'see' his lecturer in a swimsuit - fine!

Only today when we went swimming I had just got my period. I had my Mooncup in and thought it would be fine. I checked every couple of hundred metres whilst swimming and all okay. Got out, chatting to DH at side of pool, glanced down - and there was, er, rusty coloured water going drip-drip-drip very fast down my legs and forming into a pool. blush

I had two seconds where I thought I'd better tell a lifeguard so it could get cleaned up - and then I looked up and saw my student walking towards us! I so know this was the wrong thing to do but I hissed 'Move, quick' at DH and did a penguin waddle back to changing rooms as fast as possible, clenching pelvic floor for dear life and possibly leaving a delicate rosy trail behind me.

blush I am totally disgusting, aren't I?

BonnieBlitheGoodgay Sun 11-Nov-12 16:44:05

I'd have done the same tbh

And I know it's wrong too so there you go

motherinferior Sun 11-Nov-12 16:44:20

Mooncups are useless for swimming ime blush.

Yokel Sun 11-Nov-12 16:44:56

I don't know about disgusting, but you have put me right off getting a mooncup.

WelshMaenad Sun 11-Nov-12 16:46:30

You poor soul!

I'm sure the chemicals in the pool water will deal with it.

wine

MinnieBar Sun 11-Nov-12 16:46:51

Well, I think you've pretty much guaranteed he'll also avoid eye-contact during lectures now… wink

Sorry, not helpful. I wouldn't have said anything until I'd cleaned myself up.

Feminine Sun 11-Nov-12 16:46:59

I don't know that you could have done anything else TBH.

It would have been very blush for all.

I'd almost go as far as to say you did the right thing!

WelshMaenad Sun 11-Nov-12 16:47:34

That was me suggesting wine after your horror by the way.

I've just noticed it looks a bit like a mooncup, I swear I was NOT taking the piss!!

blush

WilsonFrickett Sun 11-Nov-12 16:50:20

oof, that's grim. But I don't see what else you could have done, really. how blush

socharlotte Sun 11-Nov-12 16:51:31

Oh dear I am sure he didn't notice though, especially if he always averts his gaze!
A little while I was at the pool when a kid cut her toe and it bled like a chainsaw massacre.The pool attendants just swished the blood t with water and brushed it into the pool. boak!!

iwasyoungonce Sun 11-Nov-12 16:53:34

I'd have done exactly the same. You're not disgusting.

(Or we both are).

grin

mum2threesons Sun 11-Nov-12 16:53:51

What on earth is a mooncup?!!

RevoltingPeasant Sun 11-Nov-12 16:54:43

I don't think he actually saw, and bizarrely, when we were walking around the pool I noticed another patch of brownish water at the side of the pool which I know I didn't cause, so I'm kind of hoping it, er, blended in blush

I am now really hoping that I wasn't spraying the face of the man who was following me for about 1k blush blush blush

Mind you he had an enormous beard which probably protected him grin

RevoltingPeasant Sun 11-Nov-12 16:56:00

Thanks for wine Welsh Yes, well, at least yours was only a half-full MC...... Unlike mine obviously!!!

Ephiny Sun 11-Nov-12 17:01:08

Oh no! Why do these things have to happen in front of the last person you'd want to see them blush. Maybe a tampon for swimming next time?

Also, I will never see the wine symbol the same way again after Welsh's comment smile

TheMonster Sun 11-Nov-12 17:04:32

What exactly did you check every couple of hundred metres?

Missmuffet28 Sun 11-Nov-12 17:04:45

Oh I feel so bad for you but you have made me giggle out Loud for the first time today.... Especially the bearded man bit!
Fwiw I'd have done exactly the same smile

PropertyNightmare Sun 11-Nov-12 17:07:13

Yanbu. We would all have done the same, I reckon. Only I would not have a used a mooncup on the first place as I have heard far too much about the stringy drip etc. tampons for swimming IMO.

SantyClaws Sun 11-Nov-12 17:07:15

Nah tampons do exactly the same IME, whatever they might say in the adverts

RevoltingPeasant Sun 11-Nov-12 17:13:40

Body - er, well, I do tumble turns so I sort of did them slowly and looked at my crotch as I went round to make sure there wasn't a sort of scarlet ribbon behind me.... Look, I did say in my title it was grim!

5madthings Sun 11-Nov-12 17:15:59

Oh dear! Not disgusting there will be far worse in the pool.

And can i ask how you checked the mooncup was ok whilst swimming?!

Tampons are fine but i do find they soak up some of the pool water and are rather soggy upon removal, need to change it asap after swimming!

5madthings Sun 11-Nov-12 17:17:01

Ahh right! I do tumble turns as well, never thought of checking fot leakages whilst doing so tho!

FriendofDorothy Sun 11-Nov-12 17:22:54

The first and only time I wore a mooncup for swimming I ended up dripping on the floor too. It is the only time I wear tampons these days!

digerd Sun 11-Nov-12 17:26:08

I would never had gone swimming with my period. How embarrassing for you. I could have foreseen something like that happening.

RevoltingPeasant Sun 11-Nov-12 17:36:59

Digerd well I swim twice a week and have never had this problem before! Have swum with MC for years. Might revert to tampons for this though..... Good idea FoD !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now