Talk

Advanced search

To think that if the husband in that Asda advert was as controlling as the mum

(15 Posts)
kim147 Sun 11-Nov-12 14:06:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WorraLiberty Sun 11-Nov-12 14:42:34

Haha! I said exactly the same...especially when she dismisses his choice of tree.

MammaTJ Sun 11-Nov-12 14:48:13

It is a fair reflection of most peoples Christmas though, with the mum doing most of the organising.

Not in this house though. We buy presents together, my DP decorates the house and he does most of the wrapping.

I am not sure what I will be working this year, so he may end up doing most of the cooking too.

LineRunner Sun 11-Nov-12 14:49:12

It is a generally horrid advert. And I don't say 'horrid' very often but Asda appear to be bringing out my inner Enid Blyton.

McChristmasPants2012 Sun 11-Nov-12 14:52:59

To be far DH does most of that stuff, I can't even wrap a sandwich and the tree looks like it had a fight with the lights.

Salmotrutta Sun 11-Nov-12 16:16:15

I haven't seen this advert (yet) but there used to be a really annoying one for some cooking product ... maybe an Uncle Ben sauce or something?

And the husband/boyfriend was doing the cooking while his wife was on the phone to her friend relaying everything he was doing in a mocking style.

Used to wind me right up that advert did ...

StuntGirl Sun 11-Nov-12 16:25:40

Totally agree.

BelaLugosisShed Sun 11-Nov-12 17:11:16

I got ripped to shreds on another site for saying that I thought the Asda advert was more like some sick parody instead of a true portrayal of modern family life - quite a few women gleefully told me that it was true for them , they didn't like it when I suggested they stop being martyrs and that maybe they should have married men with more emotional intelligence and less selfishness than a toddler

OwedToAutumn Sun 11-Nov-12 17:28:46

Is this really how most families are?

Our Christmases are a united effort and endeavour.

I am in charge of the cooking, but I delegate tasks to DH and the DC. DH is in charge of the tree and decorations, but delegates tasks, or we all muck in under his direction.

We discuss presents, although I do most of the purchasing, and I buy most of the stocking fillers etc (mostly due to the time when he did and it was all tat from Hawkin's Bazaar). We wrap them together. I do the cards.

Dishes are done jointly. If one of us walks into the kitchen and the dishwasher is finished, we will groan and reload it.

If DH fancied some "tea" on Christmas evening, he would get up and make it himself, for everyone but we are usually too stuffed for anything more than a mince pie.

Oh, and we have sufficient chairs, so no one has to sit on a pouffe!

McKayz Sun 11-Nov-12 17:31:20

I only wrap DHs presents. I can't wrap up save my life.

Tinuviel Sun 11-Nov-12 19:06:56

I always get final say on the tree over DH as he has form for choosing one that is too tall and won't actually fit in the house! We had a mark on the ceiling for several years to prove it!

kim147 Sun 11-Nov-12 19:12:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MikeLitoris Sun 11-Nov-12 19:16:38

I took the 'whats for tea' line to be a joke from the dh.

I just cant get worked up over this advert.

OnwardBound Sun 11-Nov-12 19:19:49

I agree.

DW in Asda ad is a control freak.

I bet she rolls her eyes at his "What's for tea love" but secretly loves that she's the only one who can rustle up great food that all the family enjoy
because she's hidden the leftover turkey and condiments

She thrives on being the sole reason that Christmas happens her way in that household.

Passive Dad and Controlling Mum deserve each other.

SwedishEdith Sun 11-Nov-12 19:41:47

"Dishes are done jointly. If one of us walks into the kitchen and the dishwasher is finished, we will groan and reload it." Having a dishwasher does not equate at all with "doing the dishes"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now