Talk

Advanced search

To be upset after finding out Nutella is full of palm oil?

(57 Posts)
frenchfancy Sun 11-Nov-12 12:54:43

20% no less shock.

Ok I new it wasn't a health food but I didn't know it had palm oil in. (label just says vegetable oil).

stinkinseamonkey Sun 11-Nov-12 12:55:52

:-(
was gonna buy some to pig out on on mat leave! wont now

Fakebook Sun 11-Nov-12 13:02:22

Dammit. If I'd known I wouldn't have had my daily helpings of Nutella soup followed by Nutella glazed leg of lamb, with Nutella smeared roast potatoes and other veg and a dessert of no other than...Nutella cake and Home made Nutella ice cream.

sad

CagneyNLacey Sun 11-Nov-12 13:02:31

I don't know why palm oil is worse than any other oil blush

OwedToAutumn Sun 11-Nov-12 13:02:51

Most peanut butter has palm oil, even the organic, whole earth, good for you type.

The only one I've found that doesn't is Sunpat.

MamaMary Sun 11-Nov-12 13:04:31

What's wrong with palm oil?

OwedToAutumn Sun 11-Nov-12 13:04:52

Palm oil is grown in the tropics on land cleared from virgin rainforest. Palm oil farming is a major threat to biodiversity in areas like Malaysia and Indonesia.

motherinferior Sun 11-Nov-12 13:05:12

YANBU

motherinferior Sun 11-Nov-12 13:05:35

Meridian peanut and other nut butters don't have palm oil.

lljkk Sun 11-Nov-12 13:05:36

Palm oil usually isn't processed using hexane, so it rates as pretty healthy in my book.
If someone wants to make a chocolate spread using coconut or virgin olive oil I'm up for buying that, too.

Environmentally I've got such mixed feelings about Palm Oil. Yes the production usually meant cleared rainforest. It also means sustainable employment in poorest parts of the word. And you can't avoid Palm Oil completely unless you want to go for pretty extreme diet options.

frenchfancy Sun 11-Nov-12 13:12:44

It isn't just the environement.

^"Biomedical research indicates that palm oil, which is high in
saturated fat and low in polyunsaturated fat, promotes heart disease. Though less harmful than partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, it is far more conducive to heart disease than such heart-protective liquid oils as olive, soy, and canola. The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, World Health Organization, and other health authorities have urged reduced consumption of oils like palm oil."^

Kewcumber Sun 11-Nov-12 13:15:25

is it possible to make your own? My bamix can make peanut butter (of a sort)

IneedAgoldenNickname Sun 11-Nov-12 13:23:35

My son gave up most of his fav chocolate products at the age of 6 after finding out how palm oil affects the monkeys. It's always surprising to find it how many things contain it sad

Welovecouscous Sun 11-Nov-12 13:25:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Welovecouscous Sun 11-Nov-12 13:37:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OwedToAutumn Sun 11-Nov-12 13:43:57

Some of my family can't eat dairy products. I have made a reasonably successful nutella type spread using hazelnuts ground in a food processor (it's never as silky smooth, though) mixed with a ganache made with dark chocolate and non-dairy margarine. Golden syrup can be added "to taste".

LDNmummy Sun 11-Nov-12 13:51:22

Palm oil is one of the healthiest options on the market so I am not put off by this.

The environmental issue is something I wasn't aware of though sad

In my home country we use palm oil for most of our cooking but it is locally grown so I had no idea about this mass farming issue.

It is only a high risk oil for heart disease if you don't have an otherwise healthy lifestyle. Unfortunately the average person in the UK doesn't get even half of the daily exercise someone from a country like my mothers home country would get. Plus the general diet of the average person in the UK is totally different too which makes a big difference. I think palm oil is fine if you are very healthy and maintain a good diet.

campergirls Sun 11-Nov-12 13:52:31

'Yes the production usually meant cleared rainforest. It also means sustainable employment in poorest parts of the word.' Can you clarify what you mean by 'sustainable' there*lljkk*? Lots of info here that indicates palm oil production is very far from sustainable (and that apart from the environmental impact, as is often the case with big agribusiness the financial benefits don't go to the country where the growing is done).

This blog is useful for people trying to avoid palm oil (though it's a while since it's been updated). Suma nut-butters are palm oil free.

You can make home-made nutella with cocoa, nuts, and coconut oil. Delicious!

TinyDancingHoofer Sun 11-Nov-12 13:56:40

The orangutans! Why did no one tell me sooner? Why did i never check? sad

campergirls Sun 11-Nov-12 13:56:59

The 'health issue' that a few people have been posting about is a bit of a red herring. As part of a balanced diet coupled with an active, healthy lifestyle, it's fine. If you don't have those things going for you, avoiding palm oil won't make much odds.

The real problem with palm oil is the environmental and social impact of its production.

Mousefunk Sun 11-Nov-12 14:16:16

Yabu because most companies do not specify palm oil and write vegetable oil instead.. If you're that fussed about using palm oil then do your research.

McChristmasPants2012 Sun 11-Nov-12 14:30:23

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrero_SpA

This is alittle bit of info, they also do kinder product and ferrero rossers, I don't know if they use palm oil in these products, but if you are not going to buy Nutella then it seems logical to boycott the whole chain

McChristmasPants2012 Sun 11-Nov-12 14:35:45

http://www.saynotopalmoil.com/palm-oil.php

This site gives a lot of info on how palm oil is worded on products.

McChristmasPants2012 Sun 11-Nov-12 14:36:04

www.saynotopalmoil.com/palm-oil.php

InNeedOfBrandy Sun 11-Nov-12 14:39:52

I never knew this before! I though palm olive was good it's in so many of mine and dcs moisturisers like palmers!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now