Talk

Advanced search

To think that using cameras and camera phones...

(27 Posts)
LadyFfelicityBuntingworthy Sun 11-Nov-12 12:51:45

...at the rememberance service at the local Cenotaph is a bit, well, off hmm.

The local Scouts, Air Cadets, St John Ambulance, etc. were parading so I can sort of see maybe taking a photo of your darling offspring before the parade set off but during the service. Really?

I'm not talking about the photographers covering it for the local press, but people using their cameras and camera phones during the wreath laying and the two minute silence.

Am I just a bit out of step here (I'm only in my late 30s) or does anyone else agree that it's just a bit wrong?

3littlefrogs Sun 11-Nov-12 12:56:59

I agree. I think it is symptomatic of the dearth of respect in society today. I know I sound like a grumpy old person (I am in my fifties), but I see it everywhere.

I went to a confirmation service last year, and people were texting during the minister's address.

Dd went to a show a couple of weeks ago, and people were taking flash photos with their phones during the performance.

Just a complete lack of manners IMO. sad

sleepyhead Sun 11-Nov-12 12:58:53

There's a whole pics-or-it-didn't-happen culture now. You need a picture to show that you were there, preferably posted on facebook within minutes.

sleepyhead Sun 11-Nov-12 13:04:20

I went to a Scissor Sisters concert a few years ago where Ana Matronic stopped and asked the crowd to try, just for one number, to be in the moment, enjoy the show, sing along, dance, be at one with the crowd and not take photos or video on their mobiles, just for 5 minutes.

Nice sentiment, but I think it lasted for about 30 seconds.

When it's a situation where flash and the click click click of endless phones/cameras can really distract those who are trying to concentrate on an important occasion for them then it's obviously completely inappropriate.

cathpip Sun 11-Nov-12 13:06:17

Op i am completely with you on this one, there is a time and a place for using cameras and mobile phone cameras and during the wreath laying and two minute silence is not one of them. Complete lack of manners and respect.....

LadyFfelicityBuntingworthy Sun 11-Nov-12 13:09:40

I suppose that I'm also thinking about the ex-servicemen, many of whom find the occasion very emotional. I remember when I was a child, there was a flag-bearer who was a proper community stalwart and ex-military gentleman, HUGE walrus moustache grin, very stiff upper lip type, who couldn't help but cry buckets every year at the Cenotaph. I can't imagine how mortified this proud man would have been to have been photographed in that condition sad.

TidyDancer Sun 11-Nov-12 13:11:14

I said exactly that this morning. It was uncomfortable watching it. It's not a frigging tourist attraction, it's a service of remembrance.

keriatthetate Sun 11-Nov-12 13:12:21

Just out of interest, does the disapproval of photography at these events extend to the press also?

I think that using flash would be inappropriate but some people might be recording the event for people who are unable to be there.

44SoStartingOver Sun 11-Nov-12 13:15:46

i wonder if the groups were taking photos to be part of their archives and recruitment materials - showing the more serious side.

LadyFfelicityBuntingworthy Sun 11-Nov-12 13:22:03

There were 2 or 3 photographers for the local papers (so that, as you say keriatthetate people who couldn't go could read about it/see a couple of photos) but they were being very discreet and not leaping about and encouraging their little darlings to wave at them.

ash6605 Sun 11-Nov-12 13:26:21

I dont see a problem with discreetly taking pics(no flash, shutter sound etc) during the parade but not through the 2 minute silence that's just wrong!

FlipFlippingFlippers Sun 11-Nov-12 13:29:33

Yanbu.

I went to a funeral a few weeks ago and there were 3 people (that I could see there may have been more) taking pics on their phones.

Bet you can't guess where those pics ended up...

LadyFfelicityBuntingworthy Sun 11-Nov-12 13:43:39

Please tell me they didn't Flip.

That's pretty low sad.

Sallyingforth Sun 11-Nov-12 13:45:40

...at the rememberance service at the local Cenotaph is a bit, well, off

Yes it is, and it would be respectful to get the name of the service right as well. You are not the only one.

FlipFlippingFlippers Sun 11-Nov-12 13:49:57

On facebook. Awful. Ended up with a relative messaging everyone (so as not to single anyone out) asking if they'd take them down as people were finding it hard enough to grieve. I don't see the need to photograph absolutely everything! It's become such a huge habit. People seem surgically attached to their phones says me on mumsnet on my phone

LadyFfelicityBuntingworthy Sun 11-Nov-12 14:05:16

Sallyingforth - the rememberance service is a decription of the event, not its title. Note the lack of capital letters which might lead people to think that I was using the 'correct' name.

e.g. Across the UK remembrance services were being held (BBC News website today)

Now calm down and have biscuit.

LadyFfelicityBuntingworthy Sun 11-Nov-12 14:08:06

Pressed post without adding that typing/spelling errors are not inherently disrespectful. That would be silly.

cheekydevil Sun 11-Nov-12 14:23:50

I have logged into my fb acc this morning to find several pictures taken at my friends funeral on Wednesday. Sick

Sallyingforth Sun 11-Nov-12 14:50:12

Lady
It's a small point I agree, but so many people have miss-spelled 'remembrance' on here and elsewhere that I felt it was about time to make a stand.

Thanks for the biscuit. I'm just been brought a cup of tea by my lovely DP so you have timed it nicely smile

PatTheHammer Sun 11-Nov-12 14:59:37

Well I'm guilty of taking a photo of my DD marching back from laying a wreath as part of the Cubs and Beavers. I saw a few people doing it and didn't think it was disrespectful as nobody was asking the children to wave or pose.

I took one to show my DH who is recovering from spinal surgery and couldn't be there to see the parade this morning. He appreciated looking at the photo and I won't post it on FB as I don't agree with that.

Nobody was taking photos during the 2 minute silence.

FlipFlippingFlippers Sun 11-Nov-12 15:18:29

Sorry for your loss cheeky. It's such an inappropriate thing to do.

bureni Sun 11-Nov-12 17:09:54

I took a short video at our local service this morning, this was because a couple of my relatives who were also veterans were unable to attend due to age and ill health so at least they can see the service as they really wanted to attend and be with their old friends who were fit enough to attend. Flash photography should not be allowed imo from the press or anyone else.

LadyFfelicityBuntingworthy Sun 11-Nov-12 17:23:13

Glad you liked it Sally <dunks own pink waver> grin

Groovee Sun 11-Nov-12 17:25:44

At our friends wedding the Minister leading the ceremony, told everyone to put their cameras and phones down and she would allow pictures at the end. She wanted all the guests to pay attention to the ceremony and their friends/family who were marrying. It was a beautiful service.

SauvignonBlanche Sun 11-Nov-12 17:26:14

YANBU

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now