Advanced search

To defrost chicken on ths worktop?

(57 Posts)
ThatBastardSanta Sun 11-Nov-12 11:34:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ThatBastardSanta Sun 11-Nov-12 11:35:21

frantic51 Sun 11-Nov-12 11:37:20

I never use frozen chicken precisely because I know that I am likely to forget to take it out of the freezer the night before! grin

BadgersBottom Sun 11-Nov-12 11:39:20

Truly it is not going to kill you. I have been doing it like this forever and we remain unkilled! In fact, just two days ago I took out a bag of chicken breasts from the freezer, defrosted them exactly this way, forgot to use them (it's my age!), put them back in the fridge overnight and used them the next day. Still unkilled.

Mandy2003 Sun 11-Nov-12 11:39:25

I've never defrosted a whole chicken, but for chicken pieces, sausages etc I put them in a pan of cold water. Change the water every half an hour. Or defrost in a microwave. Frankly I don't like to defrost anything with bones because I'm never quite sure there won't be ice lurking.

But google was correct - bacteria breed frenetically at room temperature, so the edges of the chicken which have defrosted first will be little bacteria parties!

Iamsparklyknickers Sun 11-Nov-12 11:40:05

Is it? I know it's not as hygienic as defrosting in the fridge but I always sling stuff on the side to thaw out.

As long as it's cooked the same day then I don't bat an eyelid tbh.

ThatBastardSanta Sun 11-Nov-12 11:43:41

vodkaanddietirnbru Sun 11-Nov-12 11:46:35

We often defrost meats/frozen leftovers, etc at room temperature and then cook it thoroughly and have been ok.

The nhs website gives information for defrosting christmas turkey safely and methods include leaving at room temperature so I figure it is safe for other poultry too.

www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Healthychristmas/Pages/cooking-turkey.aspx

janflan Sun 11-Nov-12 11:53:08

Well i also forgot to get the chicken out of the freezer yesterday. It's now in a big bowl of water on the worktop and I'm hoping it defrosts in time for cooking later.

Notfootball Sun 11-Nov-12 11:53:30

Chicken comes out the freezer every Saturday night round here these parts and sits on the workshop until I cook it at Sunday lunchtime and yet, we remain alive.
I've just jinxed it, haven't I?

KenLeeeeeee Sun 11-Nov-12 11:54:38

This is also how I defrost things that I've forgotten to put in the fridge the night before so basically everything ever . So far, we're all still alive.

InNeedOfBrandy Sun 11-Nov-12 11:55:59

I didn't know that, I defrost chicken on the side all the time.

LST Sun 11-Nov-12 11:57:03

I always defrost in the microwave. And we're still here smile

HappyAsASandboy Sun 11-Nov-12 11:59:10

I think technically, room temperature might mean that the outside defrosts fast and becomes a bacteria breeding ground.

But then you put it in the oven at a zillion degrees! For a roast, I would t bat an eyelid. For mince, I think it'd be different as the bacteria breeding ground edges would be mixed in to the middle of the dish and may not reach a really high temp during cooking. But a chicken? The edges are either going to be inches from the heating element or submerged in hot oil!

bentneckwine1 Sun 11-Nov-12 12:01:41

I always used to leave chicken/meat on the worktop to defrost with no ill effects. Only changed recently to defrosting in the fridge because I have now got a cat and don't want him stealing the chicken.

Although the packaging says to defrost for 8hours in a fridge the chicken breast I took out the freezer yesterday morning remain partially frozen! We had to abandon plans to eat them for tea last night and will have to hope they are completely defrosted later on today to cook.

Thsi happens each time I defrost in the fridge...I put the meat inside a tupperware box with the lid on...not sure why it takes so long?

Iamsparklyknickers Sun 11-Nov-12 12:03:36

I do it with mince as well, I figure it's fine if the middle is still a bit frozen as I'll smash it up when browning it off - hell I've been known to chuck a frozen block in the pan and just keep battering it till it's all broken up and browned.

I'm the s&m version of nigella smile

Softlysoftly Sun 11-Nov-12 12:04:24

My MIL defrosts in pans of hot water, they have cast iron stomachs.

KentuckyFriedChildren Sun 11-Nov-12 12:05:06

Um I have been known to cook a chicken from frozen and I too remain unkilled blush

BadgersBottom Sun 11-Nov-12 12:05:42

I love the devil-may-care attitude of this

And I don't rinse and repeat with shampoo

and this

I'm the s&m version of nigella

Happy Sunday blessings upon the slatternly amongst us for we shall never be killed by mere frozen foodstuffs!

ThatBastardSanta Sun 11-Nov-12 12:09:19

I do this with all meat, we're all still alive! Enjoy your roast!

InNeedOfBrandy Sun 11-Nov-12 12:17:33

I cook chicken breast thighs and legs from frozen with no I'll effects. I wouldn't do a whole chicken though.

QueenofNightmares Sun 11-Nov-12 12:21:08

Everything gets defrosted the night before on my side or even in the sink. EVERYTHING.

We're not dead. No-ones had food poisoning except me and that was from bastard birds eye chicken grills. Cooking mince today that I defrosted in the sink overnight then chucked in the fridge went for a nap and forgot to cook so has been in fridge for 2 days now. Smells fine looks fine going to bubble away for 3 hours minimum so we'll live. Oh and eat it again tomorrow in chilli.

DragonMamma Sun 11-Nov-12 12:22:22

I always defrost bits on the side instead of in the fridge. No stomach bugs here either. If things are a big frosty still I cook them on a lower temp to start with because in my head it'll give it a bit longer without ending up dry.

I always cook king prawns from frozen, they say defrost for 8hrs but they are pretty small so what the hell.

Mince I will defrost in the microwave and then bash it to pieces in the pan.

oopslateagain Sun 11-Nov-12 12:22:58

Everything here gets defrosted on the side. But if I'm in a hurry I put it in the sink covered in lukewarm water, change the water when it gets cold.

We're all going to die, aren't we.

sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now