Talk

Advanced search

to have a glass of wine with lunch when I'm out with my baby?

(41 Posts)
doublecakeplease Sun 11-Nov-12 09:51:47

Genuinely wondering...

I'm off out for lunch and shopping with my friend today - taking ds (9 months) along too as DP is off to the football.

Not seen dfriend for ages and pre ds we'd have a bottle or 2 glass of wine with lunch on shopping trips. Obviously I'd only have 1 glass but worried I'll look neglectful etc having baby in a high chair whilst slurping wine - would you have one or stick to soft drinks? Not that desperate but it's be nice!

shrimponastick Sun 11-Nov-12 09:54:06

Yadnbu.

Hell no, go for it.

As long as you aren't weaving drunkenly through the crowds using the buggy as a crutch It's fine.

grin

LoopyLoopsOlympicHoops Sun 11-Nov-12 09:54:38

Of course that's fine, don't be silly.

LoopyLoopsOlympicHoops Sun 11-Nov-12 09:55:20

Why obviously one glass? Just stop before you're too drunk to look after him properly. That's more than 1 glass for crying out loud!

worriedmum100 Sun 11-Nov-12 09:55:35

God no yanbu.
Enjoy your lunch and your wine!

HarderToKidnap Sun 11-Nov-12 09:56:05

I have a glass of wine or a G&T pretty much every time I go out for lunch with 10mo DS in tow, and have always done! It's the bonus for being on maternity leave and not having to be in a workplace after lunch, isn't it? In fact, our NCT group used to go to a mum and baby pub quiz every Thursday lunch and get pretty much sloshed. Never even crossed my mind it might not be OK.

thebody Sun 11-Nov-12 09:56:13

Good grief, why the fuck would you care what anyone else thinks anyway?

Stangirl Sun 11-Nov-12 09:56:14

You MUST have wine.

Susieloo Sun 11-Nov-12 09:57:17

Definitely have a glass of wine or twogrin

doublecakeplease Sun 11-Nov-12 09:57:21

Really?? Oh my - I feel so much better! Bit paranoid after a woman in a pub made a comment about me having a much longed for glass of mulled wine at Christmas when I was pregnant! Thanks!

GoldPlatedNineDoors Sun 11-Nov-12 09:57:56

Wish this thread was a week old - had lunch out on Friday and supped a coke whilst glancing whistfully at friends sharing a bottle of Chablis. 11mo dd, thought I shouldnt have wine - grrrrr.

Sparklingbrook Sun 11-Nov-12 09:57:58

I blame MN for this. Of course you can have a glass of wine.

just watch out for the AIBU thread later where someone spotted you-

'AIBU to think that someone with a 9 month old baby should not be drinking wine in public in the middle of the day' shock

McChristmasPants2012 Sun 11-Nov-12 09:58:07

go for it.

doublecakeplease Sun 11-Nov-12 09:59:49

I LOVE you guys - oooh - I can almost taste it!!

SunflowersSmile Sun 11-Nov-12 10:00:14

Drink up...

Tee2072 Sun 11-Nov-12 10:00:51

No. Sorry. Once you're a mum you can never have wine again. Truly. I mean it. How dare you?*

*Kidding. Have two glasses. Or even 3.

grin

trixymalixy Sun 11-Nov-12 10:01:01

I would!!

cheekydevil Sun 11-Nov-12 10:03:06

Gosh I went to bonfire last night with dh and dd. Had 1 glass of wine and was mullered! I judged myself! Felt so bad I had another to calm myself down grin

Sparklingbrook Sun 11-Nov-12 10:03:47

cheeky they had mullered wine at the bonfire I went to last night. grin

Arthurfowlersallotment Sun 11-Nov-12 10:04:00

Oh Jesus, just drink.

cheekydevil Sun 11-Nov-12 10:12:47

Ah I didn't find out that they had mulled wine to get mullered on until I was already mullered on the white

Suzieismyname Sun 11-Nov-12 10:19:21

if a couple of sips will leave you so drunk you can't look after your son then don't have any. Otherwise use YOUR best judgement as to how much you can handle and don't worry at all what anyone else might think!
Only saying as I know that after 5 years of not drinking much due to ttc, pregnancy, breastfeeding, ttc, pregnancy and another year of breastfeeding my wine tolerance is a lot lower than before.

PuppyMonkey Sun 11-Nov-12 10:21:51

Long as you're not driving, have as much as you like.

rainbow2000 Sun 11-Nov-12 10:24:52

Go for it you deserve it.There is nothing nicer than meeting friends for lunch and having a glass of wine,its lovely.Go and enjoy and have 1 for me will you.

DilysPrice Sun 11-Nov-12 10:25:39

Huge difference between drinking while pg - ie giving alcohol to your developing baby (which may or may not be safe in small quantities) - and having a glass of wine while baby is sitting on other side of table. It's quite possible to get judgy about one but not the other.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now